JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Arrests mar what should have been an exciting week
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
March 29th, 2015 01:28 AM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief March 29, 2015 The arrests of Alabama starting safety Geno Smith and presumptive starting nosetackle Jonathan Taylor over the weekend have cast a shadow on the school’s athletic program – just as Alabama was about to grab the spotlight for a much more positive reason. Alabama is in the […]

Read More Here

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Can Brad Stevens be added to the list of potential basketball coaches? Might as well dream big, right?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Instead of bashing Coach Saban for giving a player a second chance he should have been praised.
NOW
Coach Saban should be praised for dismissing a player who failed in his conduct, on his second chance.

In both cases I think Coach Saban tried to do the right thing. (That's why I applaud him)

If you must bash... If it were your son, would you want him to have a second chance to show the world he had changed?
Taylor failed Coach Saban and our football team, by going back to his old ways. Now he pays the price.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Instead of bashing Coach Saban for giving a player a second chance he should have been praised.
NOW
Coach Saban should be praised for dismissing a player who failed in his conduct, on his second chance.

In both cases I think Coach Saban tried to do the right thing. (That's why I applaud him)

If you must bash... If it were your son, would you want him to have a second chance to show the world he had changed?
Taylor failed Coach Saban and our football team, by going back to his old ways. Now he pays the price.
I'm not going to bash him for giving the kid a chance, but there's another side to this ... what if it were your daughter that this guy (allegedly) committed his second offense upon?

The fact of the matter is that if this had happened at AU or UT, Alabama fans would be talking about how it was "in the culture" or that the coaches were displaying a "win-at-all-costs mentality." I know they would because it has happened a million times in the past. The uncomfortable truth about modern college football is that you have to recruit guys on the fringe of morality sometimes because they can do things other guys can't do. The fact is, if Taylor was a general student and not an athlete, no second chance would have been forthcoming. He would have been kicked out of school after the first offense and people would have applauded the university president for making campus a safer place.

In other words, I neither applaud nor condemn Saban for giving Taylor a second chance. It's business. We can dress it up in the trappings of redemption and feel-good stories, but it's business.

The only complaint I have with the way it was resolved is that I would have let the dismissal announcement come from either the AD or the president's office. But I get both sides of that argument. On one hand, they want Saban to look like the guy that let him go. I'm sure Saban was on board with it, but UA admin was the one that actually let him go as per the terms of his signing, and I would like to have seen them make the announcement as a way to establish chain of command. But that's a minor detail.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Exactly Jess. If we are going to throw stones we best be ready to have them thrown back. I will go so far as to say that if he weren't a position of need that he wouldn't have even got this second chance.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.