Link: 'Karate Kid' villain Billy Zabka is still best friends with the Cobra Kais

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I was reading an article from the USA Today web site, about Kentucky's B'Ball victory over The Irish, then somehow I stumbled upon this article about "Johnny" from the '80's cult classic The Karate Kid..I thought it was an awesome article & Billy Zabka seems to be a really cool, down to earth, kinda actor & has come to terms with being forever linked as "Johnny" from The Karate Kid..Most actors or actresses that's forever linked as one character, to a "Cult Classic" movie, usually never overcomes that so called curse, of being linked to one character in a movie or a TV Series..For example Gary Coleman fro Different Strokes, I always thought he sounded bitter in real life, after the show ended, because he never was able to outgrow (no pun intended..The lil guy..LOL) in real life..From being "Arnold" from Different Strokes..I remembering seeing a video, where he punched some guy, for asking him to say his famous catchphrase, "Whatchu Talking Bout Willis" , plus, didn't Dana Plato have a lot of trouble after the show ended as well & she succumbed to drugs or she OD'ed in real life ??? & I think Todd Bridges, Willis from Different Strokes, had his demons from the show as well after it was cancelled..

Having said all that..I thought this was a really cool article about Billy Zabka..The song & video Zabka directed called "Sweep The Legs" was hilarious, a lil weird, but, funny as heck with many of the actors from The Karate Kid starring in the music video..Including The Karate Kid himself Ralph Macchio..

Here's The Link To The USA Today Article..CLICK ME

And here's the video "Sweep The Legs"..LOL..Is it just me or does Ralph Macchio still look like a teenager..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
that guy was notorious for always playing the jerk guy (Karate Kid, Back to School, Just One of the Guys). I have always heard though that he is one of the nicest people. maybe he is a better actor than we all thought?

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
"Last year I was in Boston hosting a Halloween party and it was the first time since I did the movie that I threw on the skeleton outfit. I walked around Boston like that with some other guys and people dressed in character and we had a lot of fun with that."

"I wasn’t against it, but I certainly wasn’t for it. I went to the premiere of that, which I went because Sony called and all the guys were there. It was fun because I was backstage at the afterparty and Will introduced us to Jaden and he said “I just want you to know we weren’t doing anything disrespectful, it’s an homage to the Karate Kid.” I said, “I get it man, I’m actually doing the same thing with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

"Tons of roles. I met Oliver Stone for Platoon. I would’ve loved to do that. Me and Chris Penn and Cary Elwes were the last three for Tony Scott’s film Days of Thunder [Elwes got the role of Russ Wheeler). Me and Charlie Sheen were against each other for the final role in Lucas."

I would love to be this guys best friend.....seems like so much fun to hang out with!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
that guy was notorious for always playing the jerk guy (Karate Kid, Back to School, Just One of the Guys). I have always heard though that he is one of the nicest people. maybe he is a better actor than we all thought?
"Last year I was in Boston hosting a Halloween party and it was the first time since I did the movie that I threw on the skeleton outfit. I walked around Boston like that with some other guys and people dressed in character and we had a lot of fun with that."

"I wasn’t against it, but I certainly wasn’t for it. I went to the premiere of that, which I went because Sony called and all the guys were there. It was fun because I was backstage at the afterparty and Will introduced us to Jaden and he said “I just want you to know we weren’t doing anything disrespectful, it’s an homage to the Karate Kid.” I said, “I get it man, I’m actually doing the same thing with the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

"Tons of roles. I met Oliver Stone for Platoon. I would’ve loved to do that. Me and Chris Penn and Cary Elwes were the last three for Tony Scott’s film Days of Thunder [Elwes got the role of Russ Wheeler). Me and Charlie Sheen were against each other for the final role in Lucas."

I would love to be this guys best friend.....seems like so much fun to hang out with!
Yup..Billy Zabka comes off as a really cool guy that you could have a blast hanging out with throwing down a couple beers..He seems to be right the opposite of his "Johnny" character in The Karate Kid" that's for sure..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Ralph Macchio is now older than Pat Morita was when they made the first Karate Kid movie.
Ralph was actually 23 when he did the movie in '84. At 53, he now looks 35.
He sure doesn't look his age at all..Goodness..It's hard to believe "The Karate Kid" is over 50yrs old..Time sure does fly by..I always thought & wished they would've allowed the "Ali" character to play out in the sequel movies & they had got married having kids..That would've made more sense to future Karate Kid sequel movies involving Daniel & Ali's kids having problems with "Cobra Kais's"..But..Kumiko who was Daniel's new girlfriend in Karate Kid 2 was pretty dadgum awesome as well..I still think they should have kept Ali in all the movies to set up future Karate Kid movies involving their kids..That's just me though..

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
He sure doesn't look his age at all..Goodness..It's hard to believe "The Karate Kid" is over 50yrs old..Time sure does fly by..I always thought & wished they would've allowed the "Ali" character to play out in the sequel movies & they had got married having kids..That would've made more sense to future Karate Kid sequel movies involving Daniel & Ali's kids having problems with "Cobra Kais's"..But..Kumiko who was Daniel's new girlfriend in Karate Kid 2 was pretty dadgum awesome as well..I still think they should have kept Ali in all the movies to set up future Karate Kid movies involving their kids..That's just me though..
We're just getting old. But, it also tells me how good our movies and our music are/were. Today's movies/music is just a rehash of our music/movies. And most remakes stink. Footloose, Karate Kid, Red Dawn, etc. Heck, even Adam Sandler tried to remake The Longest Yard. You just can't do it. They even tried to remake Brian's Song, Walking Tall and even Race to Witch Mountain. Fail.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
We're just getting old. But, it also tells me how good our movies and our music are/were. Today's movies/music is just a rehash of our music/movies. And most remakes stink. Footloose, Karate Kid, Red Dawn, etc. Heck, even Adam Sandler tried to remake The Longest Yard. You just can't do it. They even tried to remake Brian's Song, Walking Tall and even Race to Witch Mountain. Fail.
Sometimes remakes are ok. Cape Fear and The Departed were both solid. English remakes of foreign movies sometimes works, too (The Departed, Oldboy, Let the Right One in/Let Me In). I watch foreign movies fairly regularly, but sometimes it's difficult to keep up with subtitles or catch facial expressions.

But most remakes are empty because they are missing the spirit of what made the original good.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
yeah the sequel made almost no sense at all. he went through all that crap to be with Ali and she dumped him for someone else. actually it makes total sense because women named Ali are stupid.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.