Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I first saw this I laughed out loud really but than I read the story and saw his wife died. That sobered me up. This is really sad. You really have to pay attention to the signs of the road. I hope they don't try to sue the gps or car company over this. Sounds like there were signs and large orange barrels.
On start-up, mine tells me not to do anything unsafe and that if the GPS tells me to do something that reality shows not to be feasible, not to do it.
Or something like that. Sorry the guy's wife died, but man, you've got to be smarter than your GPS.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Didn't realize the older Garmins came with a Chappaquiddick mode.

When we first got to the Dallas area, we were amused by how the GPS in the rental car thought we were in the water when taking the George Bush Turnpike over Lake Ray Hubbard. I guess that section hadn't been completed when the maps were loaded. Sort of the opposite situation in this case.

What's really scary is that one day our cars will drive themselves, potentially relying on outdated GPS info. Hopefully they will be smarter than to drive past cones and signs anyway.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Mine once told me to to take a road that didn't exist. It was a power line grid cut out of the forest.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This reminds me that our last Garmin, bought a couple of years ago, came with lifetime downloadable maps, which I need to attend to. We constantly check against the GPS directions. Not only are they sometimes totally faultily programmed, they have disturbing tendencies to try to take you to the nearest interstate, four-lane road, etc. We have ours programmed so that "home" is close enough to home, but not really. That's just to prevent someone stealing, realizing we aren't home and then using the GPS to guide them to our home. Of course, when we approach true "home," it goes crazy. We leave it on for laughs. Once, with an older model, we were meeting friends down south of St. Augustine. The unit kept trying to get us to turn left into the swamps, when we knew the correct turn was right. Years ago, Garrison Keillor had a hilarious monologue on his relationship with the GPS in his rental car in a lengthy trip through Italy, south to north. It started out with infatuation with the sultry voice and then it deteriorated to argument and screaming... :D

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Siri on the iphones is usually pretty reliable. She'll get snippy with you though.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
My wife and I have driven all over the CONUS and Canada using Rand McNally maps. We have a Garmin now, but I still prefer to read a map. My wife is a great navigator, and a lot of the conversations we had while traveling were about the maps. A GPS certainly will get you to a particular address more easily, but it also removes any challenge.

I've had many similar experiences of my GPS taking the "long" cut.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Mine once told me to to take a road that didn't exist. It was a power line grid cut out of the forest.
That's what we call a "right of way". For some reason the GPS company seen the road more than likely and mapped it that way in their system. Some roads from the sky look like true roads instead of right of ways. That's my only guess.

As for the moron driving, how can the fool NOT see all the cones and barrels and signs saying road closed? He had to have run over something to go through the last point that the state (or whoever) wanted the road to stop.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My wife and I have driven all over the CONUS and Canada using Rand McNally maps. We have a Garmin now, but I still prefer to read a map. My wife is a great navigator, and a lot of the conversations we had while traveling were about the maps. A GPS certainly will get you to a particular address more easily, but it also removes any challenge.

I've had many similar experiences of my GPS taking the "long" cut.
*** LIKE ***

I don't use a GPS. I just look up a map on my phone's web browser and read it much like a paper road map (without the annoying folds of course).

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
At Yellowstone, I had a GPS direct me to a one lane dirt road down a mountainside.
For grins, I followed it, kicking up an enormous cloud of fine dust even at a slow speed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.