MS Senator Cochran, 77, Can't Remember if He's Met Loretta Lynch

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
:biggrin2:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/30/tha...dea_if_hes_met_with_attorney_general_nominee/

With Loretta Lynch’s confirmation vote to succeed outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder poised to go down to the wire, her fate could hinge on a Republican senator who has no idea whether he’s met with her since President Obama nominated her in November.

As the New York Times’ Jonathan Weisman and Jennifer Steinhauer note today, Lynch’s nomination has encountered opposition from all but a handful of Republican senators, with many GOP opponents citing her support for the legality of President Obama’s executives actions on immigration. Four Republicans in the GOP-controlled chamber – Susan Collins of Maine, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, and Jeff Flake of Arizona — have announced that they’ll vote for Lynch, and attention has now turned to five more moderate conservative senators who have yet to state their positions: Mark Kirk of Illinois, Dean Heller of Nevada, Rob Portman of Ohio, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Thad Cochran of Mississippi.

But Cochran isn’t even sure whether he’s met Lynch, Weisman and Steinhauer report.

This was an issue in the election last year. There were reports that Cochran was actually showing up for campaign appearances and not knowing where he was.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Maybe that :biggrin2: should have been a :frown:

I actually voted for him. In 1978.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I had just turned 18. It was my first time to vote. And I committed a whopper voting for that up-and-coming couch potato.
Thank goodness the establishment GOP stepped in and saved Mississippi from having a non-senile Senator by killing his competitor in the primary.

I'm still ticked about that. The GOP will never get a dime from me. They can go jump in a lake.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Thank goodness the establishment GOP stepped in and saved Mississippi from having a non-senile Senator by killing his competitor in the primary.

I'm still ticked about that. The GOP will never get a dime from me. They can go jump in a lake.
I'm with you. There's never been a better time for the emergence of a Constitution Party.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Would you say that he is the ONLY person in Congress to be senile? There may be a few of them.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Amen! I quit the party over that. Well it was a LOT more than that but it was the final nail. Told some poor kid to take me off their call list and never send me another piece of mail until the Rep. apologized for what they did in MS. Something tells me I'll never be a Republican again. :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Would you say that he is the ONLY person in Congress to be senile? There may be a few of them.
Nope, I would not bet that Thad is alone in that malady.
I recall listening to Thurgood Marshall late in his career. He was no dummy, but at the tail end of his time on the SCOTUS, he wasn't sure what planet he was on. He clerks wrote his opinions in their entirety and they probably held Thurgood's hands as he "signed" them.

There just comes a time when you need to hang it up and pull up a rocking chair.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Joe Biden is either best friends with senility or dumber than Sarah Palin, and I'm not sure either commends him to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

But this happens. Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd, Mike Mansfield, etc...

Then again, Ronald Reagan was senile long before his term ended. The late Lewis Grizzard, who supported Carter, noted in 1980 that Reagan actually offered to take a senility test if concerns arose. Grizzard commented, "Sure he will - if he can find it."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.