I'm sick of ESPN's biased opinions

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Lol this is like the people who listen to PF every day and then complain about about the things PF does every day. ESPN does what sells, the same as everyone else. The problem isn't some head honcho at ESPN, the problem is your (or my) 27 buddies who eat their negativity up with all the fervor of an 8th grade girl at a Justin Beiber concert.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you make the decision to bring in a guy like Taylor, you deserve the heat when it backfires.
I'm not going to say Saban doesn't deserve any heat or that he didn't expect it. However, media members are only focusing on him for offering Taylor a scholarship offer. They won't be satisfied with until Saban begs for their personal forgiveness.

I won't be satisfied until they ask Dan Mullen, Les Miles and Dana Holgerson why they offered a guy with a felony charge a scholarship. Oh wait, they won't because they don't try to use those three coaches as punching bags or career trampolines.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Taylor didn't sign with them, and none of them is us.

I'm not going to say Saban doesn't deserve any heat or that he didn't expect it. However, media members are only focusing on him for offering Taylor a scholarship offer. They won't be satisfied with until Saban begs for their personal forgiveness.

I won't be satisfied until they ask Dan Mullen, Les Miles and Dana Holgerson why they offered a guy with a felony charge a scholarship. Oh wait, they won't because they don't try to use those three coaches as punching bags or career trampolines.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Taylor didn't sign with them, and none of them is us.
Media members were focused on Saban even offering him a scholarship. If the media wants to solely discuss the scholarship offer to a guy with a felony, they need to ask Dan Mullen, Les Miles and Dana Holgerson. They won't, though.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
ESPN is part of the liberal ABC Family - which is part of liberal Disney......
Domestic Abuse is one of the hot buttons right now.....
Football is a bad word to many in Politics......and this just played into their hands.

3 days, no one will care.....another advantage to modern politics.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Unfortunately, we loaded the gun with bullets and handed it to 'em.

Really wish we hadn't taken this risk.

You'd think the ESPN types would all be down in Tallahassee hounding Jimbo over allowing Winston to actually play after all his transgressions.

Thank God, Taylor never played a down.
Totally a horrible analogy ... seriously?

"This is the same thing as "we loaded the gun with bullets and handed it to 'em."
???

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Substitute Fisher and Winston, Chizik and Newton, the NFL and Ray Rice. Heck, substitute a politician who had done the same thing.

We are not being singled out. We took a risk for good reasons or for nothing more or less than a acquiring a better nose tackle, and it didn't pay off.
And we did not justify the behavior ... past or when it happened on our watch. Honestly, I couldn't be prouder of the program. We give second chances when we feel they're warranted and we cut them loose when it's warranted.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Of course, other people who are not affiliated with Alabama are going to blast Nick Saban. I totally expect that. Losers do not like winners. But, I am very surprised that many Bama fans are trying to blast him as well. There was not a single thing that Nick Saban did that was wrong or unethical here.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Football is a bad word to many in Politics......and this just played into their hands.

Please.

Best case scenario, this is a PR issue--CNS took a chance with the best of intentions, and it blew up in his face.

Worst case scenario, CNS didn't care about the risks, but was only interested in winning (see "Jimbo Fisher" for details).

Based on the discussion here, both recently and when Taylor was signed, the general consensus appears to be more of a middle ground--CNS made an error in judgement because he felt pressure to maintain his level of success.

As for the press, their antipathy towards Saban and Bama is well known. They've been sniffing around for some time, but they are reluctant to go after the top dog, but like the hyenas they are, wait until they sense weakness. This is not a political issue, and dragging it in accomplishes nothing of value.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL

Seriously.:rolleyes:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I gave up on ESPN for anything other than live sports programming years ago. It turned into a political machine sometime after the turn of the century, and like I think B1GTide said, I don't mix my sports with politics. Evidently that crap sells, but I don't have to buy it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban and the administration, unfortunately, handed them this possibility when they decided to allow Jonathan Taylor into school and on the the football team. I disagree with some of their assessments of Saban's comments but they're all going to get in their indignation and hottakery while the news cycle on this issue is at it's peak.

In two weeks, the only people who will remember this stuff are rivals looking for smacktalk ammunition. Right now though, every pundit is going to say whatever they want to make it fit into the narrative. The only way Saban was going to get out of that press conference with praise was by falling on the sword and selling out his players (past, present, and future). He didn't do that because ultimately the recruiting hit matters more than the PR hit to him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yes there was,but keep up the idol worship.
No, there is absolutely no problem with offering a scholarship to a young man with ongoing domestic abuse charges in Georgia! It's just like random, man, that he couldn't keep his hands off women for 3 full months in Tuscaloosa!

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I'm just glad the experiment with him is over before we spent too much effort in integrating him into the defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.