New Pressure to revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt status after debut of "Going Clear"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
New Pressure to revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt status after debut of "Going Clear"

Anyone else watch the special, Going Clear, on HBO? Fascinating and well done look into the Cult and it practices. Not a lot there to shock those of us fascinated with belief systems but if you've never looked into Scientology it may shock you. Now there is a growing chorus of people who say they should have never been classified as a religion to begin with. What do you think?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw...ntology-tactics-wealth-and-irs-church-status/

Scientology has long been accused of sharp practice, harassment, even abuse. But the highly disciplined and closed-ranks organization portrayed in Going Clear operates at a fever pitch. The take-no-prisoners attitude extends to nearly all phases of the worldwide mega-business Scientology has become.

Founder L. Ron Hubbard was against paying taxes, and famously dodged the IRS for years. The film shows his pursuit of the brass ring that an IRS church exemption would mean to his empire. After years of unsuccessful IRS exemption applications, the film says Scientology Chairman David Miscavige (who succeeded Hubbard) ordered rank and file Scientologists to file individual lawsuits against the IRS for failing to recognize it as a church.

In 1993, the IRS was literally overwhelmed by 2,400 suits and the prospect of defending itself against all of them, the IRS agreed to grant Scientology tax-exempt status in exchange for the withdrawal of the cases. Since then, Scientology has flourished, as this 2011 tax filing reveals.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Re: New Pressure to revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt status after debut of "Going Clea

I haven't watched it yet, but I want to. Scientology is a scam. But then again, I don't think there should be any tax exemptions for anyone.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: New Pressure to revoke Scientology's Tax Exempt status after debut of "Going Clea

I haven't watched it yet, but I want to. Scientology is a scam. But then again, I don't think there should be any tax exemptions for anyone.
you should, it is definitively worth your time. And I agree there should not be tax exemptions for religions

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Apparently seebell and Jon will be visited by Scientologists and forced to remove their signatures after taking copious amounts of vitamins and participating in a detox. Good luck boys.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I watched the documentary last night. It was very good and very disturbing at the same time. I knew some of the basics of scientology and how they believe we are all in inhabited by alien spores but, my goodness it was so much worse then I could have ever imagined. It was heart breaking to hear some of the stories about what they did to some families and how some kids were treated. Also scary how they strong armed the IRS into giving them exemption.

It's a really good documentary, everyone should watch it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i saw the show last nite. crazy stuff. it was interesting to see the folks that "got it" after several years and got the hell out.

Rattlehead82

1st Team
Feb 3, 2008
Pace, FL

I hope they do lose their tax exempt status. I instantly lose any respect for anyone I hear is a part of it. Say what you want about any religion, but scientology is just insane. I mean a science fiction writer created it out of nowhere... South Park's take on it was hilarious.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

I agree, Scientology is insane in my view but that can be said by others about beliefs in your religion or mine. Who determines which religion is not "insane." If "first they come" for Scientology, which other is next? I am not concentrating on the tax exempt status. I am worried about the requirement to fall in line with the LGBT meme or face removal as an acceptable religion. Scientology does not approve of homosexuality.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.