Tyren Jones Charged with Marijuana Possession

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know next to nothing about the state of Georgia, but the sample size being discussed is far too small to mean anything. You have had a run of bad luck with some of your kids, but let's not get crazy.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Ok, you guys have me convinced. Saban has made mistakes recruiting so many kids from Georgia.

That's what you're saying really boils down to.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
The problem these players have is they went to the wrong T-town. If they went to school in Tallahassee, none of this would have made the light of day.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I know next to nothing about the state of Georgia, but the sample size being discussed is far too small to mean anything. You have had a run of bad luck with some of your kids, but let's not get crazy.
Anybody got numbers on the total number of recruits from everywhere in the Saban era and the number that have gotten into trouble? I can run a simple statistical test to determine if Georgia recruits are significantly more likely to get in trouble than the population as a whole.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That wasn't what BiB was saying. He didn't say driving while stoned is a stupid law. He was meaning pot being illegal is a stupid law.

Also, where did you get they were stone? Can't find that anywhere. They had pot and a scale in the car, but I don't see where they were actually high.

Where is Frietag involved in this? I didn't see his name in the report.
ohhh..ok...I apologize. If he was simply associating with dealers and had a scale and pot in his car then he should be in the clear. For me to imply that they might be stoned, and maybe got pulled over because of erratic driving or something was was stupid on my part. Some people are entrepeneurs and not users! Good point! I apologize for accusing poor Tyren unfairly.
I'm sure he wasn't really high. Such a fine young man.
As far as the legalization of marijuana...if it's for medical purposes, yes. If it's for perfectly healthy college athletes to get high, escape reality, and screw up their entire lives...not no but hell no. And if they use it to sell to kids to profit themselves, same answer.
sip

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
ohhh..ok...I apologize. If he was simply associating with dealers and had a scale and pot in his car then he should be in the clear. For me to imply that they might be stoned, and maybe got pulled over because of erratic driving or something was was stupid on my part. Some people are entrepeneurs and not users! Good point! I apologize for accusing poor Tyren unfairly.
As far as the legalization of marijuana...if it's for medical purposes, yes. If it's for perfectly healthy college athletes to get high, escape reality, and screw up their entire lives...not no but hell no. And if they use it to sell to kids to profit themselves, same answer.
sip
Alasippi, got to disagree. Marijuana should not be illegal. Just as alcohol can be mind altering, so is pot. Not advocating it because of personal preference because I have never used -- alcohol yes, pot no. The legal sale of pot in Colorado has severely cut crime, increased state coffers, and decriminalized pot use such that the courts are not clogged with simple possession charges, and the jails are not filled to the brim with same. This would allow greater resources to address hard drug use/dealing such as heroin and cocaine. Just accept that people are going to use pot, so decriminalize it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Alasippi, got to disagree. Marijuana should not be illegal. Just as alcohol can be mind altering, so is pot. Not advocating it because of personal preference because I have never used -- alcohol yes, pot no. The legal sale of pot in Colorado has severely cut crime, increased state coffers, and decriminalized pot use such that the courts are not clogged with simple possession charges, and the jails are not filled to the brim with same. This would allow greater resources to address hard drug use/dealing such as heroin and cocaine. Just accept that people are going to use pot, so decriminalize it.
Probably a debate for the non-sports board. I'm not a mod, that's their decision.
My opinion was on Tyren's "football player" behavior.
Regardless of what the law "should be"..the law now is what the law now is. And the team rules are probably pretty close to that "law".
Tyren violated that law, after already being suspended for whatever other "law"
There comes a point where you have to say enough..
At least I hope that's the majority vote here, and I think it is.
sip

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Nobody's going crazy, B1G. It is a bad run of luck. But it's an extended one. One wonders if the added distance from home and loved ones has a certain "wilding" effect, similar to the run of "bad luck" we had with some lunkhead Mississippi kids a few years back.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nobody's going crazy, B1G. It is a bad run of luck. But it's an extended one. One wonders if the added distance from home and loved ones has a certain "wilding" effect, similar to the run of "bad luck" we had with some lunkhead Mississippi kids a few years back.
I agree that "moving away" leads to a different type of freedom for many kids. Add the celebrity status that comes from being a football player at a school like Alabama and young people removed from the influence of their parents are more likely to make bad decisions. Young people as a whole make bad decisions. Not excusing it - just pointing out a well documented fact. Most simply don't process consequences properly at that age.

My only point is that Georgia kids are no worse than Alabama kids, or Ohio kids, or Wisconsin kids, etc. A simple examination of percentages seems to imply something that isn't true. The sample size is far too small to draw conclusions.

If Alabama were to have one kid on the team from Ohio, and that kid were to get arrested, that means that 100% of the kids from Ohio on the Alabama football team got arrested. But that doesn't imply anything about the kids from Ohio at large.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I agree that "moving away" leads to a different type of freedom for many kids. Add the celebrity status that comes from being a football player at a school like Alabama and young people removed from the influence of their parents are more likely to make bad decisions. Young people as a whole make bad decisions. Not excusing it - just pointing out a well documented fact. Most simply don't process consequences properly at that age.

My only point is that Georgia kids are no worse than Alabama kids, or Ohio kids, or Wisconsin kids, etc. A simple examination of percentages seems to imply something that isn't true. The sample size is far too small to draw conclusions.

If Alabama were to have one kid on the team from Ohio, and that kid were to get arrested, that means that 100% of the kids from Ohio on the Alabama football team got arrested. But that doesn't imply anything about the kids from Ohio at large.

Point taken. Georgia, however, supplies more players to us than any other state besides our own. I do think it interesting if we were to find that Alabama kids feel more honored to be on the team, perhaps even more watched by the home folks. So they are more compelled to stay in line. All speculation. But the preponderance of disciplinary problems over the past four years have indeed been from the same state. Bad luck? Bad crop? The social scientists would have a blast.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I agree on the part where pot should be legalized for medicinal purposes as per Sip and also for the purpose of sitting around and relaxing as you might do with a cold beer in the evening. My problem would be with people that do all the above then want to get behind the wheel and endanger everyone around them. Buzzed driving can't be tolerated, no matter what got you that way, alcohol, pot, drugs or model airplane glue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
sip
I find keeping the facts in a case the best thing. Don't want people thinking one thing happened when that's not the case. That's all I was trying to do.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I find keeping the facts in a case the best thing. Don't want people thinking one thing happened when that's not the case. That's all I was trying to do.
If a person is riding around with marijuana and a set of triple beams, the only thing that runs through my mind is that he is dealing. Why would a person knowingly get in a car with someone he knows is dealing or has paraphenalia in the car? Birds of a featha flock togetha. I ain't getting in a car with someone that I know is dealing because of the fear that he may have a bale or 10 lbs in his trunk.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If a person is riding around with marijuana and a set of triple beams, the only thing that runs through my mind is that he is dealing. Why would a person knowingly get in a car with someone he knows is dealing or has paraphenalia in the car? Birds of a featha flock togetha. I ain't getting in a car with someone that I know is dealing because of the fear that he may have a bale or 10 lbs in his trunk.
Where did I say he wasn't dealing? Someone said he was driving stoned, and TPD didn't include that in the report. That's all I'm saying.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Where did I say he wasn't dealing? Someone said he was driving stoned, and TPD didn't include that in the report. That's all I'm saying.

What I read was that the officer said there was a strong smell of marajuana. Maybe the driver was the only one inhaling?

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
"Triple beams"?? Seems some know more about the current business than I do. Assuming it has to do with portioning the product, back in the 70's which was my expert era, we used our fingers to measure the amount in sandwich bags. Dadburn technology.
Side note. Since the officers smelled a strong odor when they approached the vehicle, I'm thinking it had been set on fire at some point. Just sayin.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I'm sorry if I was implying that you said anything. I was stating that if I hear of someone riding around with pot and scales then the first thing that enters my mind is that they are dealing.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.