New Alzheimer’s treatment fully restores memory function

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Everything comes at a price, even a cure for Alzheimer's and cancer. And I'm not referring to out of pocket cost of the treatment.

Look up Albert Brooks' book 2030. It's fiction, but it rings true, and it ain't pretty.

Bottom line is that none of our retirement programs were built for average lifespans into the 80s. The numbers simply don't work.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Everything comes at a price, even a cure for Alzheimer's and cancer. And I'm not referring to out of pocket cost of the treatment.

Look up Albert Brooks' book 2030. It's fiction, but it rings true, and it ain't pretty.

Bottom line is that none of our retirement programs were built for average lifespans into the 80s. The numbers simply don't work.
Hence all the new young workers entering the country - got to shore up the base of the ponzi.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You would have to believe that the less damage, the better the treatment would work. It's a lifelong process...
Yes that is what you would think. Obviously any improvement in memory is a good thing. Specifically I wonder; memory can be use it or lose it, even long term memory can be difficult to recall if you do not access it often, such as middle school classmates names. If someone has had Alzheimers for, say, 15yrs and then takes this treatment, would it clear the pathways so they would have access to long-term memory-for example the names of family members- or would it clear the pathways so they could once again remember names, but due to lack of use the names they previously knew have been forgotten and need to be relearned?

Regardless, I am pretty excited about this development.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Yes that is what you would think. Obviously any improvement in memory is a good thing. Specifically I wonder; memory can be use it or lose it, even long term memory can be difficult to recall if you do not access it often, such as middle school classmates names. If someone has had Alzheimers for, say, 15yrs and then takes this treatment, would it clear the pathways so they would have access to long-term memory-for example the names of family members- or would it clear the pathways so they could once again remember names, but due to lack of use the names they previously knew have been forgotten and need to be relearned?

I lost my mother to Alzheimer's. She lived for 7 years from the time she was diagnosed until her death in 2000.
Think of Alzheimer's like a complete reversal of life. It does more than rob the patient of their memory. The memory is "erased" starting at the most recent and going back. I can't tell you how depressing it is to look at the parent who gave you life and realize that they don't even know who you are. [She didn't recognize me, but she knew that the elephant and big "A" on my shirt represented her own alma mater, and she said "Roll Tide"!]
But that's only the starting point. It's like it robs them of their ability to perform the simplest of tasks that they've learned through out their lives, but in a sort of reverse order. Alzheimer's is also excruciatingly slow in it's progression as it slowly effects every single part of the patient's lives. The patient will go from fully ambulatory to being total bedridden. Their body will forget how to walk, how to talk, how to control their bodily waste functions; then how to eat and finally, how to breathe.
I don't know the effectiveness of this new treatment. It gives me relief though in knowing that thanks to it, fewer patients and their families will have to suffer the traumatic effects of this horrible disease.

Last edited:

NatchezTider

All-SEC
Jan 13, 2000
Natchez, Ms. USA
It's like it robs them of their ability to perform the simplest of tasks that they've learned through out their lives, but in a sort of reverse order. Alzheimer's is also excruciatingly slow in it's progression as it slowly effects every single part of the patient's lives. The patient will go from fully ambulatory to being total bedridden. Their body will forget how to walk, how to talk, how to control their bodily waste functions; then how to eat and finally, how to breathe.

recalling these things with my mother is heart-wrenching! she died in 2012.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It's complex, and no one knows if erasing the blockages would restore some memory. My opinion is that it should, if it's going to do more than just arrest the disease. There are two other common forms of dementia - vascular and Lewy Body dementia, or "LBD." (It's another form of misfolded proteins.) A year or so ago, we had a friend die at the age of 62. She had had a stroke 10 years earlier and that seems to speed things up. Autopsy showed she had all three forms of dementia. My nephew's wife is in the throes, probably of LBD, now. Many experts think that Parkinson's and LBD are the same disorder. In LBD, the dementia shows first, with motor difficulties later. In Parkinson's, the motor difficulties occur first, with the dementia in the final phases. They seem definitely related. If this treatment helps with LBD also, it would be a real boon...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Just throwing a question out for your consideration. Unless there is something I don't know (certainly a good possibility) about this type of ultrasound, it should be harmless if tried on humans. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to try it on patients who have little to lose because of late stage progression of the disease?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Just throwing a question out for your consideration. Unless there is something I don't know (certainly a good possibility) about this type of ultrasound, it should be harmless if tried on humans. Why wouldn't it be a good idea to try it on patients who have little to lose because of late stage progression of the disease?
I was thinking the same thing. It's supposed to be tested on humans in 2017 according to the article. How exactly does one test the memory recall of mice and sheep?

It's great news, for sure.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Agreed. It should be.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's complex, and no one knows if erasing the blockages would restore some memory. My opinion is that it should, if it's going to do more than just arrest the disease. There are two other common forms of dementia - vascular and Lewy Body dementia, or "LBD." (It's another form of misfolded proteins.) A year or so ago, we had a friend die at the age of 62. She had had a stroke 10 years earlier and that seems to speed things up. Autopsy showed she had all three forms of dementia. My nephew's wife is in the throes, probably of LBD, now. Many experts think that Parkinson's and LBD are the same disorder. In LBD, the dementia shows first, with motor difficulties later. In Parkinson's, the motor difficulties occur first, with the dementia in the final phases. They seem definitely related. If this treatment helps with LBD also, it would be a real boon...
Seems like this affects everybody, directly or indirectly.

My MIL died a couple of years ago of Lewy Body. When the end finally came, it was a blessing.

My stepdad (he raised me more than my biological father ever did) is in the middle stages of vascular dementia. He's almost 90, so something else might cause the lights to go out. But if it doesn't, the next few years are looking grim.

I never thought I'd say that. But unless you've seen what this does up close and personal, it's really hard to understad how you can love someone and still pray that they're taken soon.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.