If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback in 2016?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback i...

Yeah I know it happens sometimes but that's more of a situation (Like Dilfer) where the QB is given virtually no credit for the teams success and usually wasn't a 4 year starter with multiple playoff appearances. Bledsoe/Brady is the closest thing I can think of where an inexperienced unknown took the job from a proven long term starter. But honestly, would Brady had ever been able to do that if Bledsoe had never gotten hurt? If Dalton got hurt and AJ got on the field and proved himself, then that's a whole different story. Right this minute I don't think any team in the league would be willing to name AJ their starter or even their heir apparent.
You either have a poor opinion of AJ or are unaware there are some pretty sorry quarterbacks in the NFL right now.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Re: If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback i...

You either have a poor opinion of AJ or are unaware there are some pretty sorry quarterbacks in the NFL right now.
I both have a pretty poor opinion of AJ as a potential NFL QB and I also realize the NFL is full of poor QB's right now. Even in the weakened state of the NFL QB market, I don't see AJ being a successful starter. I'm honestly baffled why anyone would see him as NFL caliber. The years that we had a tremendous defense and running game and he stood virtually untouched in the pocket, he was pretty good--not great, but pretty good. He's above average accurate but below average in arm strength. However, his skills seem to all but collapse under pressure. Every snap in the NFL is under pressure. I will honestly be shocked if he starts 8 games in his NFL career.

Loved him as a Bama player within the parameters of what we do but I don't see him making the transition.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback i...

I both have a pretty poor opinion of AJ as a potential NFL QB and I also realize the NFL is full of poor QB's right now. Even in the weakened state of the NFL QB market, I don't see AJ being a successful starter. I'm honestly baffled why anyone would see him as NFL caliber. The years that we had a tremendous defense and running game and he stood virtually untouched in the pocket, he was pretty good--not great, but pretty good. He's above average accurate but below average in arm strength. However, his skills seem to all but collapse under pressure. Every snap in the NFL is under pressure. I will honestly be shocked if he starts 8 games in his NFL career.

Loved him as a Bama player within the parameters of what we do but I don't see him making the transition.
His skills collapse under pressure? He won back to back national championships with several of the games won by AJ late. The late drive vs LSU in Death Valley, the beautiful deep strike to cooper to beat UGA for the SEC championship. The almost flawless performances in the two national title games vs LSU and Notre Dame. Say what you want about his NFL projection, but he absolutely did not collapse under pressure in college..

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

His skills collapse under pressure? He won back to back national championships with several of the games won by AJ late. The late drive vs LSU in Death Valley, the beautiful deep strike to cooper to beat UGA for the SEC championship. The almost flawless performances in the two national title games vs LSU and Notre Dame. Say what you want about his NFL projection, but he absolutely did not collapse under pressure in college..
I think he meant under pressure of the pass rush, not the overall moment.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And dalton is not a sorry qb. I'm not saying AJ can't be a starter, but I'm saying the odds are against him in this situation. He hasn't took a snap in the nfl to include preseason. So how can anyone say that he will overtake dalton at this point with anything less than an injury

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
And dalton is not a sorry qb. I'm not saying AJ can't be a starter, but I'm saying the odds are against him in this situation. He hasn't took a snap in the nfl to include preseason. So how can anyone say that he will overtake dalton at this point with anything less than an injury
I wasn't referring to Dalton but he's only average at best.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Jeaulousy. Funny to think McCarron has more National Championship rings then Auburn.
Post of the day and true as well.

If he performs in the preseason I think he puts Dalton on the hot seat. He just better stay healthy or he's gone. I don't think Dalton is the franchise QB they think he is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Post of the day and true as well.

If he performs in the preseason I think he puts Dalton on the hot seat. He just better stay healthy or he's gone. I don't think Dalton is the franchise QB they think he is.
Maybe, but it will take a substantial performance. Why some here are diminishing the fact that dalton has taken the bengals to 4 straight playoffs, take into account the bengals have had consecutive postseason appearances ( besides Dalton's 4) once in their history (81,82).

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I think he meant under pressure of the pass rush, not the overall moment.
Thank you, that is correct. And if you really watch AJ the last 2 years you see 3 mechanical habits develop:

• The sidearm sling.
  • The short-arm pass where he doesn't step in and follow through.
  • The back foot throw. Even when not under pressure he would often throw while leaning backwards and off of his left foot.

I spent 2 years wondering where these habits were coming from. They seemed to get worse once he got hit a couple of times. I have no personal gripe with him and his post Bama comments don't bother me as much as they do some but his mechanics just deteriorated.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

AJ changed his throwing motion... he stated that in a recent article
Thank you, that is correct. And if you really watch AJ the last 2 years you see 3 mechanical habits develop:

• The sidearm sling.
  • The short-arm pass where he doesn't step in and follow through.
  • The back foot throw. Even when not under pressure he would often throw while leaning backwards and off of his left foot.

I spent 2 years wondering where these habits were coming from. They seemed to get worse once he got hit a couple of times. I have no personal gripe with him and his post Bama comments don't bother me as much as they do some but his mechanics just deteriorated.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This probably doesn't bode well for AJ starting or possibly even staying on the roster. Will be interesting to see what happens..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This probably doesn't bode well for AJ starting or possibly even staying on the roster. Will be interesting to see what happens..
This will not effect AJ's roster spot at all. Pryor is a different style QB and AJ is a better QB for the Bengals system. Pryor will #3 or cut IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This will not effect AJ's roster spot at all. Pryor is a different style QB and AJ is a better QB for the Bengals system. Pryor will #3 or cut IMO.
Maybe not. However, most teams only dress 2 QBs each game so it doesn't really make sense for them to bring in another QB to compete for the backup spot if they feel confident in AJ as the #2 QB..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wish A.J. the best, but I think he was drafted to be a good solid backup to Andy Dalton.
That may change at some point in the future, but right now I think that's where A.J. stands.
If he blows them away in the pre-season and Dalton struggles early in the regular season, things may change. But right now Dalton is way solid as their starting QB. Just my opinion.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wish A.J. the best, but I think he was drafted to be a good solid backup to Andy Dalton.
That may change at some point in the future, but right now I think that's where A.J. stands.
If he blows them away in the pre-season and Dalton struggles early in the regular season, things may change. But right now Dalton is way solid as their starting QB. Just my opinion.
I wish most people would accept this long because I think it was the reason he was drafted at that spot. Backup is his job, and I think that will most likely be his spot until his stint at the bengals is over

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
It seems to me, that most on here seem to think that while a player is at Bama he is great. BUT the moment he is drafted
he wasn't as good as first thought because he had an outstanding team around him. Did all of the other players on other
winning teams not have good players around them? Or is this just a BAMA thing - you know, the players aren't great at Bama,
just the team?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.