If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback in 2016?

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
Just for grins and giggles, here are some College numbers to ponder over.

Mr Awesome Dalton..............Lackluster AJ (who according to some on here could not have won a cake walk without his Superior Oline)
Games 50................................53
Complted Pct 61.7.............................66.9
TDs 71 Pass 22 Run..............77 Pass 3 Run
Int 30................................15
QB Rate 140.7............................162.5

National Champs 0..................................3

Hmmmm I guess I don't understand how AJ could be so awful????
Maybe someone a lot smarter than me could explain it.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just for grins and giggles, here are some College numbers to ponder over.

Mr Awesome Dalton..............Lackluster AJ (who according to some on here could not have won a cake walk without his Superior Oline)
Games 50................................53
Complted Pct 61.7.............................66.9
TDs 71 Pass 22 Run..............77 Pass 3 Run
Int 30................................15
QB Rate 140.7............................162.5

National Champs 0..................................3

Hmmmm I guess I don't understand how AJ could be so awful????
Maybe someone a lot smarter than me could explain it.
First: no one who is saying AJ isn't starting over dalton has said AJ sucks and dalton is the second coming of insert name here

Second: AJ had elite teams where Andy had a once in a lifetime team in 2010 at TCU

Third: dalton didn't have a wide receiver core as good as cooper,Norwood, and white

Fourth: are you seriously trying to compare college stats??? Let alone national championships??? By your assessment matt mauk should've been the first qb taken in his draft class. Also who has more wins for a starting nfl qb that played at their school since 1990? Vandy or bama?

Fifth: stop using emotion. If you actually research the bengals you would know that aside from their Super Bowl years this is the best time they ever had so why would they make a change at qb.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I find it very odd that the Bengals now have 4 QBs in, with 3 competing for the backup job while the starting QB job is supposedly secure. Not sure what to make of it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It seems to me, that most on here seem to think that while a player is at Bama he is great. BUT the moment he is drafted
he wasn't as good as first thought because he had an outstanding team around him. Did all of the other players on other
winning teams not have good players around them? Or is this just a BAMA thing - you know, the players aren't great at Bama,
just the team?
A guy can be a great college player while not being a good pro player. That's fact. Look at the numbers Timmy Chang put up at Hawaii. How did his NFL career go? What about Jason White? There are numerous players that did well in college but aren't great pro players.

I went back and read the thread again to make sure I remembered what was posted back in April. The posts break down like this:

• Folks are simply saying AJ was drafted in the part of the draft when teams typically try to find solid backup players.
  • AJ was drafted by a team with a solid QB1 right now. The circumstances will have to drastically change for AJ to become the starter of the Bengals.

All of that being said, QB play in the NFL isn't great right now. With the transformation of college offenses, guys like AJ will be able to stick around and possibly land on a team to become the starter.

Don't see the news of Pryor signing a deal with the Bengals being a factor against AJ. He hasn't done well in the NFL. He can serve as a very good practice squad QB, though.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
You know, most people forget about his shoulder injury which he had ALL his last year.Had AJ had the kind of season he had before that, he would have been 2nd round IMO.

he is tough just give him some time to completely heal.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You know, most people forget about his shoulder injury which he had ALL his last year.Had AJ had the kind of season he had before that, he would have been 2nd round IMO.

he is tough just give him some time to completely heal.
His attitude cost him the first two rounds. The pats would've most likely taken him over garapolo had that not been an issue.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
His attitude cost him the first two rounds. The pats would've most likely taken him over garapolo had that not been an issue.
So you are saying AJ would have gone in the top 2 rounds if not for his attitude but he has no chance of being a NFL starter?

Some of your and others comments about AJ are stating he has no chance to beat out Dalton or be a starter in the NFL. I will admit I am a Bama homer but you and others are trying really hard to get your point across that AJ is not worthy to be a starter and I don't agree. I know AJ is not Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning but I do believe he has the talent and leadership to be a starter one day.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So you are saying AJ would have gone in the top 2 rounds if not for his attitude but he has no chance of being a NFL starter?

Some of your and others comments about AJ are stating he has no chance to beat out Dalton or be a starter in the NFL. I will admit I am a Bama homer but you and others are trying really hard to get your point across that AJ is not worthy to be a starter and I don't agree. I know AJ is not Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning but I do believe he has the talent and leadership to be a starter one day.
Does he have a chance??? Yes
Will he? Most likely not

I never said he couldn't start but it's not likely at the bengals. I think many on here are getting far too emotionally attached to how the players did at the capstone that you lose sight in how hard it is to be a starter in the nfl. The pats were probably his highest spot he could've realistically gone due to the patriots desiring a system qb that is a team player and CNS and Cbb relationship. But the scouts overall said he rubbed them the wrong way and there are question marks in his arm strength. A lot of people try to compare AJ's and Tom Brady's draft experience but fail to remember that Tom was drafted so low largely due to Lloyd Carr's decision to listen to the fans and have an ongoing qb battle during the 1999 season between Drew Stanton and Brady. Plus Tom had a cannon for an arm.
As for AJ's situation... I've said this over and over and apparently you didn't see it so I will say it again. As much as some Bengal fans are griping about going one and done in the playoffs for the last four years deep down they know that with them being in the same division as the steelers and the ravens it is a feat in itself to make it to the playoffs let alone four in a row. The bengals have only had 4 times in history in which they have made it to back to back playoffs, and dalton had three of those.Dalton isn't an elite qb but it would be ludicrous to put an unknown qb in over a playoff regular qb that has made it to the playoff more than their best qbs ,eisiason, Blake, and Palmer, without dalton getting hurt or taking a mammoth slump. So it doesn't look like AJ will start in this season for the bengals, and that is what most people are talking about. What the future holds I don't know but I wouldn't dare bet on AJ beating out dalton this year.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Deleted.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Re: If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback i...

Thanks for the update. No matter what some say on our board, AJ will make it and be a starter in the NFL. He has the talent and leadership to get others to follow and he knows how to win (which I'm not sure Dalton has). I know he does not have a Aaron Rodgers arm but he is smart and knows football.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thanks for the update. No matter what some say on our board, AJ will make it and be a starter in the NFL. He has the talent and leadership to get others to follow and he knows how to win (which I'm not sure Dalton has). I know he does not have a Aaron Rodgers arm but he is smart and knows football.
You do realize how hard it is to make it to the playoffs right? So for you to think dalton doesn't have talent and leadership skills but yet make it to 4 straight playoff games is just silly. I realize people's emotional attachment to AJ but comparing college stats while ignoring nfl stats to justify your argument is equally as silly. If that is true then Jamarcus Russell, Matt lienhart, and Vince young would be elite qbs by now. Also for the last darn time look at the title it says 2016 starter not will he ever . I think most people that have their crimson colored glasses resting on the bed side table and not on their ears would agree that him starting for the bengals is unlikely but he could develop into a good backup that would get a starting opportunity after a trade is more likely. It happens all the time. The cowboys stuck with romo and the bears stuck with cutler who have a far less impressive track record than dalton. And there aren't many that have said he has no chance either

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You do realize how hard it is to make it to the playoffs right? So for you to think dalton doesn't have talent and leadership skills but yet make it to 4 straight playoff games is just silly. I realize people's emotional attachment to AJ but comparing college stats while ignoring nfl stats to justify your argument is equally as silly. If that is true then Jamarcus Russell, Matt lienhart, and Vince young would be elite qbs by now. Also for the last darn time look at the title it says 2016 starter not will he ever . I think most people that have their crimson colored glasses resting on the bed side table and not on their ears would agree that him starting for the bengals is unlikely but he could develop into a good backup that would get a starting opportunity after a trade is more likely. It happens all the time. The cowboys stuck with romo and the bears stuck with cutler who have a far less impressive track record than dalton. And there aren't many that have said he has no chance either
What is Dalton's record in the play-offs the last 4 yrs? Do you consider him a winner with that record? I imagine the front office, players and fans expect a win in the play-off this year or he will be sent walking or holding a ciipboard. My argument is that AJ will be a starter one day and your argument seems to be that Dalton is the best QB in the NFL with his regular season record and AJ is not good enough to start in the NFL and you are plain wrong.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
. My argument is that AJ will be a starter one day and your argument seems to be that Dalton is the best QB in the NFL with his regular season record and AJ is not good enough to start in the NFL and you are plain wrong.
Where in the world have you divulged that from my posts. I have repeatedly stated how it is unlikely but however not impossible that AJ would beat out dalton in the next two years. And what do y'all have to go on? That Andy is an average nfl qb. Ok there are tons of average nfl qbs that teams stick with despite postseason performances. Ryan, cutler, and romo ring a bell. And where are you reaching to conclude that I think dalton is the greatest regular season qb? I have never said anything of the sort. All I have said is that it is going to be incredibly hard for AJ to overtake a guy that has led the bengals to 4 straight playoffs. Let me repeat that: the BENGALS to four straight playoff games. Anyone with a lick of nfl knowledge would realize that the bengals are a lower tier nfl program that besides being the sacrificial lambs twice to the bill Walsh dynasty in two Super Bowls have done nothing post season wise. It also doesn't bode well that dalton got a huge contract raise recently either. Also if you want to bring up playoff records the. Do you care to take a gander of who has the most post season losses??? To spoil the surprise it is Peyton manning.

Some of y'all really need to stop getting so emotional about someone saying something realistic about former alabama players in the nfl. Jeez I thought the tr thread was the end of it but I guess not. I'm no sunshine pumper by any stretch but you are truly reaching with your accusations. Everyone that has said that they have their doubts about AJ beating out dalton you take that and say that we are saying " AJ sucks and dalton is great" that has got to be the farthest thing from what we have said. Quit taking an inch to a mile on statements you don't agree on, and get over the fact that some people are more objective about this subject than you.

Here is the last time I will state it plainly: I don't think AJ will be the bengals starter in the next two years , but I think he will have a shot at a starting job eventually if he works hard enough.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So you're saying there's a chance?[emoji6]
Yes, but unless I present in sunshines and rainbows form some people think I don't give him any chance. I have reworded it and reworded over and over if they don't understand it this time then they are just trying to get a rise out of people or they are so drunk on the crimson kool aid that anybody who doesn't flat out say " AJ mccarron will beat out Andy dalton because Andy dalton is obviously a crappy quarterback since he has been on a juggernaut bengals team that has been to four playoff games and lost to teams like the colts and the texans even though AJ hasn't thrown a properly inflated nfl football while a player like jj watt is trying to decapitate him." Is labeled as a hater in their mind. These are the same people that couldnt get over when people were worried about our secondary after the West Virginia game last year and still weren't convinced after the auburn and mizzou game. Say anything objective or other than bama is unbeatable with players that are all going to be successful nfl starters on Super Bowl teams and it hurts there feelings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.