If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback in 2016?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Back to the OPs original question, I think the most likely positive scenario is that AJ plays pretty well these last few games (and maybe plays well in the play-offs) and then some team offers the Bengals way too much in trade for him (similar to Schaub when he took over for Vick).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Back to the OPs original question, I think the most likely positive scenario is that AJ plays pretty well these last few games (and maybe plays well in the play-offs) and then some team offers the Bengals way too much in trade for him (similar to Schaub when he took over for Vick).

Again I say Falcons. Then I remember who the GM is of the Falcons and I fee l sad again.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
No offense intended, but AJ better work on his delivery because the pick 6 he threw last week was quite the noodle arm.
I only saw the pick six on a highlight and when I first saw it it looked like you are describing, but then I saw it again and it seemed the DE was coming in on him pretty quick and AJ couldn't step into the throw like he should. Maybe it is just rust on his part since he has played so little over the past couple of years and I am sure in practice the DL won't touch him.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I only saw the pick six on a highlight and when I first saw it it looked like you are describing, but then I saw it again and it seemed the DE was coming in on him pretty quick and AJ couldn't step into the throw like he should. Maybe it is just rust on his part since he has played so little over the past couple of years and I am sure in practice the DL won't touch him.
I thought the same thing. But, it was either a weak arm or a terrible decision. If you can't step into that throw, take the sack.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I thought the same thing. But, it was either a weak arm or a terrible decision. If you can't step into that throw, take the sack.
He didn't get much help from his receiver either, who made no effort to move to the ball and let the DB scoot in and box him out for the pick. It was really just a bad play on all front from the Bengals and great play from the Steeler's D.

I'm not saying Mcarron will set the world on fire but he is a gamer and fairly heady when it comes to running a system and making good decisions with the ball. I'm sure that pick in particular really burned him up. I will say I thought he showed a lot of growth and already had a good amount of chemistry with his receiving corps and took more risks throwing into coverage to his playmakers than he he probably would have at Alabama. That throw down the sideline to A.J. Green was as pretty a pass as you'll see in football. I think he can competently navigate at least the next game. One last thing is he will have to be a little quicker and a little more deft in the pocket. He has good awareness but seems a half step behind when avoiding pressure..even though it was clear that Pittsburgh was brining the heat in order to rattle a fresh QB.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
No offense intended, but AJ better work on his delivery because the pick 6 he threw last week was quite the noodle arm.
The first one wasn't AJ fault. He called the play and the Receiver didn't step into the throw. Can't really blame AJ for that... only thing is Bengal changed the coverage at the last minute and AJ didnt catch that. Lack of experience will do that. The second Int were his fault, because he was going for homerun throw. I think he'll be real good to the point that he'll provide great value. So many of you keep saying that other teams will want to trade for him, but the thing is... He's not going anywhere.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
With however much playing time he gets AJ needs to show enough ability in order for another team (or possibly the Bengals) to give him the chance to be a starter. We won't ever really know what AJ is capable of in the NFL until he is given full reigns of an offense and gets to start over a full 16 game season. AJ's biggest hurdle at this point in time is convincing a team to give him that opportunity..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The first one wasn't AJ fault. He called the play and the Receiver didn't step into the throw. Can't really blame AJ for that... only thing is Bengal changed the coverage at the last minute and AJ didnt catch that. Lack of experience will do that. The second Int were his fault, because he was going for homerun throw. I think he'll be real good to the point that he'll provide great value. So many of you keep saying that other teams will want to trade for him, but the thing is... He's not going anywhere.
Blake was probably going to pick that ball off even if the receiver stepped into it. AJ was rushed and threw a ball that didn't have a lot of mustard on it. If you watch the play again Blake is waiting to see the release and he breaks hard on it. So I would say it's a combination of a rushed throw+ great defense+ a telegraphed play.

As far as your second point... I really don't know why you are taking issue with people are talking about him getting traded. I would say it's a fairly likely course of action unless the bengals get to the AFC championship because of him. Everyone is now scared of doing what the chargers did in 05 and rushing judgement on a proven qb and replacing him with a hyped up one. Dalton has had one of the best seasons at qb in the league. I think AJ might stay around another year and test the waters, but unless dalton just falls off I think AJ would actually prefer trying to get another shot somewhere else as a starter. As much as people want to compare this to a Brady-Bledsoe deal, it's not. The reasons being that A) it happened early in the year . B) Bledsoe had clearly seen better days at that point of his career. C) Brady actually won a Super Bowl that year. C is still doable for AJ but he is probably going to have out duel Brady and roethlisberger to do it, and possibly have to plan cam.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If AJ plays well he becomes attractive as trade bait, but the Bengals still have him locked up for 3 more years so why would they trade him if he plays well? Yes, Dalton is playing very well, but QBs get hurt every day. The Bengals team is solid top to bottom and they are young. They need a reliable backup QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
AJ's got two things going for him that will really help him.

1. He' usually smart with the football. Two INTs in one game is one less than he threw in a whole season at Bama one year. I know he'd like to take them both back, but the second one was just him trying to force the issue. I'll be surprised if he doesn't take better care of the ball next week.

2. He's very accurate. He can throw in some pretty small windows and that's what you have to do in the NFL. I noticed a few of his throws were high last week. Again, probably nerves.

I'm rooting for him to do well, lead them into the post season. If nothing else, he might make some more money off of this.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Blake was probably going to pick that ball off even if the receiver stepped into it. AJ was rushed and threw a ball that didn't have a lot of mustard on it. If you watch the play again Blake is waiting to see the release and he breaks hard on it. So I would say it's a combination of a rushed throw+ great defense+ a telegraphed play.

As far as your second point... I really don't know why you are taking issue with people are talking about him getting traded. I would say it's a fairly likely course of action unless the bengals get to the AFC championship because of him. Everyone is now scared of doing what the chargers did in 05 and rushing judgement on a proven qb and replacing him with a hyped up one. Dalton has had one of the best seasons at qb in the league. I think AJ might stay around another year and test the waters, but unless dalton just falls off I think AJ would actually prefer trying to get another shot somewhere else as a starter. As much as people want to compare this to a Brady-Bledsoe deal, it's not. The reasons being that A) it happened early in the year . B) Bledsoe had clearly seen better days at that point of his career. C) Brady actually won a Super Bowl that year. C is still doable for AJ but he is probably going to have out duel Brady and roethlisberger to do it, and possibly have to plan cam.
If Bengal knows they got a good back up QB and all... theyre not going to trade him away especially how Andy Dalton has performed in postseason. I dont see him getting traded.. COaches are high on him.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My brother is a season ticket holder to the Bengals and he said The fans in Cincy are not thrilled with Dalton. He has had a good year, but seems to wilt when it is a big game. I actually saw them play San Diego early in the season and Dalton was really good then. I would think if AJ proves himself that he may get a shot at the QB starting job, but only if Dalton get hurt, or the team decides AJ is their future. Dalton signed a huge contract which is good and bad. He is expensive to keep, but they also have a ton on money invested in him.

AJ's performance in the game last week against Pittsburg was the result of not having timing down with his receivers as he rarely gets to work with the starting group in practice. He was a little wide eyed as well. I expect he will look better and be more in command this week.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If AJ plays well he becomes attractive as trade bait, but the Bengals still have him locked up for 3 more years so why would they trade him if he plays well? Yes, Dalton is playing very well, but QBs get hurt every day. The Bengals team is solid top to bottom and they are young. They need a reliable backup QB.
If he plays well and you can trade him at a premium, it might be worth it to help fill out other deficient areas of the team. By and large, Dalton has been pretty durable. I think this is the first time he's missed since his rookie season. With a QB like that, a dependable back-up may not be as high on the priority list as other positions.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm a big Dalton fan. I don't mean it to be disrespectful to AJ whatsoever. Dalton, from a personal standpoint, is a lot like Kurt Warner. He's a local guy (when I lived in Katy) and a hometown football hero. It's hard not to pull for him. I hope he does have the success as Kurt so he quiets the naysayers.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
No, Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton's contract isn't worth $115 million over six years, as others have reported. The base value, per a source with knowledge of the details, is $96 million over six years.
The most important numbers are the numbers fully guaranteed at signing. Dalton receives a signing bonus of $12 million and a roster bonus in three days of $5 million. That’s a total of $17 million out of the gates. Coupled with his $986,000 base salary (which isn’t guaranteed as a legal matter but it is as a practical matter), Dalton will make $18 million in the first year of the deal.
Then, on the third day of the 2015 league year in March, Dalton earns a $4 million roster bonus. He also has a $3 million non-guaranteed base salary in 2015. That’s $25 million over two years.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...7-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

His contact is performance driven based. Front loaded instead of Back loaded deal.
So, I think If someone were to get traded, it'll be Dalton, not AJ. If AJ performes well and He plays in playoff game and win... Dalton could be feeling little heat.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Bengal knows they got a good back up QB and all... theyre not going to trade him away especially how Andy Dalton has performed in postseason. I dont see him getting traded.. COaches are high on him.
Ok the same could've been said about cassel in 08. He play 15 games and the pats still traded him. Everyone who is pointing out Dalton's postseason should also place Aaron Rodgers very close to it. Aside from the Super Bowl season he hasn't been really good in the post season. Also Peyton manning is one of the worst of all time in the post season. There also isn't anything to suggest AJ is going to be any better than dalton. Like I said he probably has Ben roethlisberger in his way probably game 1 if things go like they seem to be going, and it looks like another 1 and done bengals team.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.