If the Cincinnati Bengals 'wake up,' could AJ McCarron be their quarterback in 2016?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...7-million-now-22-million-through-early-march/

His contact is performance driven based. Front loaded instead of Back loaded deal.
So, I think If someone were to get traded, it'll be Dalton, not AJ. If AJ performes well and He plays in playoff game and win... Dalton could be feeling little heat.
If they trade him in the next two years without AJ clearly showing that he is the man they are incredibly stupid. The nfl draft for the next two years aren't going to be deep qb classes so they better be 100% sure.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ok the same could've been said about cassel in 08. He play 15 games and the pats still traded him. Everyone who is pointing out Dalton's postseason should also place Aaron Rodgers very close to it. Aside from the Super Bowl season he hasn't been really good in the post season. Also Peyton manning is one of the worst of all time in the post season. There also isn't anything to suggest AJ is going to be any better than dalton. Like I said he probably has Ben roethlisberger in his way probably game 1 if things go like they seem to be going, and it looks like another 1 and done bengals team.
Peyton Won Superbowl. Rodger won Super bowl.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ok the same could've been said about cassel in 08. He play 15 games and the pats still traded him. Everyone who is pointing out Dalton's postseason should also place Aaron Rodgers very close to it. Aside from the Super Bowl season he hasn't been really good in the post season. Also Peyton manning is one of the worst of all time in the post season. There also isn't anything to suggest AJ is going to be any better than dalton. Like I said he probably has Ben roethlisberger in his way probably game 1 if things go like they seem to be going, and it looks like another 1 and done bengals team.
I also want to point out Cassell situation. Patriot knew what they were doing... They never intended on keeping him. They rarely keep the back up QBs if they show values. Patriots is one of the few teams that will develop qbs and trade them away. how have they done since then? Mallott? Cassell? Matt Fylnn?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Peyton Won Superbowl. Rodger won Super bowl.
And how many one and dones, and ah man we should've had it's did it take before Peyton won one. Also in Peyton's postseason that he won the Super Bowl he had 3 Tds and 7 picks with one game against the ravens that vinny scoring all the points. While dalton doesn't have great postseasons, he isn't in a league of his own in postseason performances.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I also want to point out Cassell situation. Patriot knew what they were doing... They never intended on keeping him. They rarely keep the back up QBs if they show values. Patriots is one of the few teams that will develop qbs and trade them away. how have they done since then? Mallott? Cassell? Matt Fylnn?
Ok so why is AJ any different? You are running in circles with this argument if saying if the pats do it this way and have 6 Super Bowl appearances then the bengals shouldn't. Your stance seems to suggest also that AJ is only capable at winning at the bengals.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And how many one and dones, and ah man we should've had it's did it take before Peyton won one. Also in Peyton's postseason that he won the Super Bowl he had 3 Tds and 7 picks with one game against the ravens that vinny scoring all the points. While dalton doesn't have great postseasons, he isn't in a league of his own in postseason performances.
He is not in a league of his own but the league he is in is very bad. He is 0-4 in the play-offs on a good team and none of the performances were good. Putting Dalton's name in the same breath with no wins with Peyton or Aaron is wrong. You could have picked out much better examples IMO like Tony Romo or Jay Cutler but they have both won 1 play-off game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
He is not in a league of his own but the league he is in is very bad. He is 0-4 in the play-offs on a good team and none of the performances were good. Putting Dalton's name in the same breath with no wins with Peyton or Aaron is wrong. You could have picked out much better examples IMO like Tony Romo or Jay Cutler but they have both won 1 play-off game.
Exactly!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You do realize Peyton manning owns the record for most one and dones and most playoff losses in nfl history, and he is also known aside from "goat" as also the greatest choker ever.

Also why isn't anyone after over 10 years of being the steelers and ravens play thing, that the bengals aren't fed up with Marvin Lewis and his 0-6 playoff record as a coach.

Look I get it, everyone want AJ to start somewhere and people feel this is it, but unless AJ takes them deep I think it is safe to say that dalton will again be the starter next year and AJ still gets a look.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You do realize Peyton manning owns the record for most one and dones and most playoff losses in nfl history, and he is also known aside from "goat" as also the greatest choker ever.

Also why isn't anyone after 10 years of being the steelers and ravens play thing, that the bengals aren't fed up with Marvin Lewis and his 0-5 playoff record as a coach.
I do realize but I also realize he won 3 games in one year to win a ring and he has won a total of 11 play-off games (yes he has lost 13 also). Aaron's play-off record is 6-5. Just saying comparing a guy with no wins to these two guys is not right.

I totally agree with you about Marvin Lewis. They better win one this year or he very well may be shown the door.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do realize but I also realize he won 3 games in one year to win a ring and he has won a total of 11 play-off games (yes he has lost 13 also). Aaron's play-off record is 6-5. Just saying comparing a guy with no wins to these two guys is not right.

I totally agree with you about Marvin Lewis. They better win one this year or he very well may be shown the door.
Ok I'll just leave it where it is just for the sake of the original intent of the thread and my original comment on defending the trade status.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_quarterback_playoff_records

Peyton with second winningest qbs in playoff... You can look that way and I can look the other way... the point is... Nothing wrong with what AJ said. AJ won't most likely get traded. Bengals aren't that dumb. If Dalton chokes again in postseason, he is most likely on hot seat and probably will be traded next year.
Where did you pull Peyton is the second winningest as a starter in the playoffs because your own source says Brady, Montana, and Bradshaw among others dwarf him. If you are arguing on active qbs then you have to factor in that Ben and Eli have more rings than him in harder divisions. Also Ben is at .667% and Peyton is in the .400s. Adding to that fact is that Peyton has played in more consecutive playoff seasons than Ben with about 7 years more experience

I honestly don't know what's getting your feathers all rustled about people talking about potential trade status, but maybe I do with your Tom Brady comment. I clearly said I agreed it wasn't out of line and that I wished for you to clarify what comments you were talking about people taking issue with your last sentence on that post. You obviously didn't so you are either not understanding the posts or you are cherry picking to make your argument seem stronger.

Again I'm done with the Peyton argument because it's going to takes us way out of the op.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Interesting scenario (if AD doesn't make it back): Cincy wins out and first game in playoff, loses second. Does anybody think, with all the teams out there desperately needing QB's, that someone might offer Cincy a deal for AJ they couldn't refuse?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Dalton isnt getting traded after this season thats for sure. He's been one of the better QB's in the league before injury. As far as AJ goes, he needs to make the most of his situation to possibly get looks from other teams once he gets to his next contract.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
A.J. played pretty well in his debut. The INT. for a touchdown was more of a play calling mistake than an A.J. mistake. I hate sideways passes. Too easy to read.
Dalton's their QB but they have confidence in A.J.
Hopefully, he'll help them win a division title and give himself some leverage, but they're not going to trade Dalton to make A.J. their starting QB. Not going to happen.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
A.J. played pretty well in his debut. The INT. for a touchdown was more of a play calling mistake than an A.J. mistake. I hate sideways passes. Too easy to read.
Dalton's their QB but they have confidence in A.J.
Hopefully, he'll help them win a division title and give himself some leverage, but they're not going to trade Dalton to make A.J. their starting QB. Not going to happen.
Unless AJ leads them to their first Super Bowl win! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.