JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
An Avery Johnson hire could have upside for the Tide
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 5th, 2015 01:35 AM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 5, 2015 When Alabama fans awake Easter morning, the ones that go hunting for Easter eggs might find an egg packed with an unusual prize – an NBA Finals resume. Alabama interviewed former Dallas Mavericks and Brooklyn Nets head coach Avery Johnson over the weekend, an interview that […]

Read More Here

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Happy Easter to you, Jess!

Thanks for the good news.
Johnson's million dollar smile, connections to the southeast, NBA credentials and success would be huge for recruiting and program credibility. WOW!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Bring it on! Ready to get this thing wrapped up. If nothing else, he's a good short term solution that gets our program back on its feet...fast!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To hit a home run, you have to take a home run cut. This isn't a homer but it is the kinda swing we need to take at this point. At a decade since Alabama basketball has been nationally competitive, I'm willing to try a five year experiment betting on his potential to transition to college ball.

briancm

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2003
Sheffield, AL USA
I vote, absolutely, Yes. His personality alone is a big plus for our program, not to mention the name he built for himself. He is a winner. I say give him the opportunity.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'd rather have him than Marshall, both might be using us as a stepping stone, but with Avery it would likely be restricted to the NBA only. With Marshall, the field would be much larger.

Actually I would prefer Prohm over Marshall too. With Prohm, WE would likely be his destination.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To summarize Jess - we've been so bad for so long that this is a risk worth taking regardless. It's not like he's going to set a top five program back a decade if he's a disaster. And the upside potential offsets that.

roll tide!!!!

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I'm from San Antonio and can gaurantee that the Little General is a class act. He is loved here. Plus, I'm sure he has been positively influenced by Coach Popp, who is basically the NBA's version of Saban.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I'm from San Antonio and can gaurantee that the Little General is a class act. He is loved here. Plus, I'm sure he has been positively influenced by Coach Popp, who is basically the NBA's version of Saban.
Hello fellow San Antonian! Yup, people hear LOVE their Spurs. AJ was a beloved player for them in their first title run. Many were hoping he would coach here when Pop retires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Longshotz in Schertz for football games! A buddy and I have been going there for years. There's a couple other SEC hanger-ons that watch also.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hope he comes to Bama for the same reason Coach Saban did & that was to build his legacy, at one place or school that folks will look back in a 100yrs with amazement..At the job he did before retiring form Bama & the "Legacy Program" he's built at Bama before he retires..I hope he finds out he loves coaching in the college ranks & teaching young kids, more than he enjoyed coaching in the NBA, that's very much a possibility once he gets to Bama or that's what I'm hoping is the case anyways..

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.