News Article: The hidden hand behind ISIS - Saddam

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...c-state-militants-saddam-hussein’s/ar-AAarTDc

In Syria, local “emirs” are typically shadowed by a deputy who is Iraqi and makes the real decisions, said Abu Hamza, who fled to Turkey last summer after growing disillusioned with the group. He uses a pseudonym because he fears for his safety.

“All the decision makers are Iraqi, and most of them are former Iraqi officers. The Iraqi officers are in command, and they make the tactics and the battle plans,” he said. “But the Iraqis themselves don’t fight. They put the foreign fighters on the front lines.”

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
So there is a kernel of truth to the "jobs" schtick:

Among them was Brig. Gen. Hassan Dulaimi, a former intelligence officer in the old Iraqi army who was recruited back into service by U.S. troops in 2006, as a police commander in Ramadi, the capital of the long restive province of Anbar.

Within months of the American departure, he was dismissed, he said, losing his salary and his pension, along with 124 other officers who had served alongside the Americans.

“The crisis of ISIS didn’t happen by chance,” Dulaimi said in an interview in Baghdad, using an acronym for the Islamic State. “It was the result of an accumulation of problems created by the Americans and the [Iraqi] government.”

He cited the case of a close friend, a former intelligence officer in Baghdad who was fired in 2003 and struggled for many years to make a living. He now serves as the Islamic State’s wali, or leader, in the Anbar town of Hit, Dulaimi said.

“I last saw him in 2009. He complained that he was very poor. He is an old friend, so I gave him some money,” he recalled. “He was fixable. If someone had given him a job and a salary, he wouldn’t have joined the Islamic State.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yes. If only I hadn't been fired, I wouldn't be running around helping psychos behead men, women, and children. I mean, you gotta pay the bills somehow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So there is a kernel of truth to the "jobs" schtik:
There's a helluva more than just a kernel. BTW, the reason the spellchecker is giving you an error message is that the Yiddish word "shtick" comes from the German word "Stück," which is "piece," and about a thousand other meanings. The "sh" is pronounced in German, although it's not spelled out, although it is in Yiddish...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
There's a helluva more than just a kernel. BTW, the reason the spellchecker is giving you an error message is that the Yiddish word "shtick" comes from the German word "Stück," which is "piece," and about a thousand other meanings. The "sh" is pronounced in German, although it's not spelled out, although it is in Yiddish...
Yes, to the extent members of the old Saddam power structure were exiled from the new one, I agree that there is "jobs" issue. There's probably a similar power issue in Syria.

Edit: ...and I went back and corrected my typo.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, to the extent members of the old Saddam power structure were exiled from the new one, I agree that there is "jobs" issue. There's probably a similar power issue in Syria.

Edit: ...and I went back and corrected my typo.
I didn't know if you wanted the advice on the typo, but I would have. I'm not claiming prescience, by any means, but when I saw Bremer's early moves, I cringed with almost every one...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.