Welcome to Bama Nation, Coach Avery Johnson!

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Re: Welcome to Alabama, Coach Avery Johnson!

Thank you Sir.

This is actually very exciting for me. At first glance, I was against the idea of it, but the more I think of it...man....this could REALLY work.
Yep. I have kinda done a 180 myself. NBA player's unfairly throwing their coach under the bus is unfortunately nothing new, so I decided to ignore that garbage. Avery is the deal, and I know that we can win with him, and though he has technically not recruited before, he has the perfect personality for it. No worries here.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Yep. I have kinda done a 180 myself. NBA player's unfairly throwing their coach under the bus is unfortunately nothing new, so I decided to ignore that garbage. Avery is the deal, and I know that we can win with him, and though he has technically not recruited before, he has the perfect personality for it. No worries here.
I'm not calling you out for this, so TIFWIW, but that's such a weird line of thinking. I've seen it from rivals and the media nonstop since his name was first mentioned. No one has ever recruited before until the day they have. I don't understand how that's considered a negative. It's just an unknown.

Saban had never recruited before, until he became a coach and suddenly he was great at it.

I'd never driven a car until the day I turned 15. I'm 30 and I've still never had a wreck. Just because someone has never done something doesn't mean it's a negative. It seems like such a pessimistic view and it's one I just don't understand.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

I'm not calling you out for this, so TIFWIW, but that's such a weird line of thinking. I've seen it from rivals and the media nonstop since his name was first mentioned. No one has ever recruited before until the day they have. I don't understand how that's considered a negative. It's just an unknown.

Saban had never recruited before, until he became a coach and suddenly he was great at it.

I'd never driven a car until the day I turned 15. I'm 30 and I've still never had a wreck. Just because someone has never done something doesn't mean it's a negative. It seems like such a pessimistic view and it's one I just don't understand.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree, it's an unknown. Anyway, my point was that based on his personality, it should not be a "negative", regardless.

On the flip side of your point, how many years could a hypothetical coach go without going to the NCAAs (or a bowl in football), before it's finally considered a negative. Since we're throwing around analogies. :tongue:

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013

but usually, they start recruiting at the assistant level first, where they can learn the ropes, CAJ will be learning on the job.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I just watched the youtube interview with him and man I am extremely impressed with his presence. The dude is a natural recruiter - can give you the stats on half the current players in the NBA. There is not a coach in the NCAA that has his WOW factor as a long time NBA player and coach. There is not a living room in America that AJ will be outshined in knowledge or passion for the game and genuine charismatic disposition. The guy talks and ballers want to listen. I am pumped about this hire! I think this is the man that get us off the mat and back in the game.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

but usually, they start recruiting at the assistant level first, where they can learn the ropes, CAJ will be learning on the job.
Sort of. Recruiting isn't exactly Latin. You get to know someone, tell them why you're good at what you do and try to convince them that you'll make them better at what they do. 90% of recruiting is trust.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Happy with the choice. He doesn't come with baggage. He isn't know as a jerk. He comes with a level of respect from the kids, the fans, and hopefully the refs..... We haven't had a call go our way much the last few years, and I blame some of that on the lack of respect that CAG had....

I think Avery can smile, turn his head at an angle.....and tell Ted Valentine, "Ok Teddy, you owe me one......." and probably get it.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Jim Calhoun was just on Finebaum and spoke glowingly about Avery Johnson and the hire in general. He even made reference to being glad that Bama is making a move to be important again like the CM Newton and Sanderson days.

Said Avery knows coaching and as a former PG he knows how to 'run the show'. Calhoun knows bigtime Basketball and I'm sure you all know he knows of which he speaks. This is the most I've been excited about Bama basketball since the late 80's/early 90's.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I have zero reaction. I'm not underwhelmed, but I'm not ecstatic. Clearly, I HOPE this is an amazing hire, but I just don't know!

It wasn't "YES!!! We hired Avery Johnson!!!

And it wast "OMG...we freaking hired AVERY Johnson?? We are so doomed'

It was "oh, okay. Neat"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Jim Calhoun was just on F***baum and spoke glowingly about Avery Johnson and the hire in general. ...
Can't help but think the Kevin Ollie template (as Calhoun's UConn successor, winning a championship in his second year) played a part in AJ's attraction to college coaching.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Jim Calhoun was just on Finebaum and spoke glowingly about Avery Johnson and the hire in general. He even made reference to being glad that Bama is making a move to be important again like the CM Newton and Sanderson days.

Said Avery knows coaching and as a former PG he knows how to 'run the show'. Calhoun knows bigtime Basketball and I'm sure you all know he knows of which he speaks. This is the most I've been excited about Bama basketball since the late 80's/early 90's.
Wow! I didn't think Jim Calhoun had anything nice to say about anybody.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I have zero reaction. I'm not underwhelmed, but I'm not ecstatic. Clearly, I HOPE this is an amazing hire, but I just don't know!

It was "oh, okay. Neat"

I think I can relate to that:wink:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

I think I can relate to that:wink:
I just know nothing about him. Like, in suspicious, even. Like he's coming here for a year, then hopping back to the NBA. And I have no reason to the think that. I'm just skittish of someone having no ties to BAMA, college ball, etc dying to come here.

This could be the greatest get of the season....and I hope it is. I'm just low-knowledge when it comes to basketball

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Always been a fan of AJ.....as a player, and as a coach. From everything I've seen, he's a man of principle, and speaks his mind. Two traits I hold in high esteem. Welcome to the Capstone, Coach Johnson.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Really excited about the potential of what Bama Basketball can be with Coach Johnson, thinking I'm going have to get back down and start catching a few games. Could put this program in a solid position in the next 3-4 years.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

It was "oh, okay. Neat"
Ditto.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

It was "oh, okay. Neat"

i feel the same way. i said it before, I will get excited when I see a successful season. Until then I will just support the team no matter what. Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.