Welcome to Bama Nation, Coach Avery Johnson!

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Re: Welcome to Alabama, Coach Avery Johnson!

RTR!! This is who we should have hired back in 2010! Can't wait to see the new product on the court come November.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Welcome, Coach Johnson! I'm looking forward to seeing the passion shown at the end of this video.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Notes:

- Unless something crazy happens, Pettway is being retained. The remainder of the staff is being assembled as we speak

- Coach Johnson attended the same HS that our RB Coach Burton Burns coached at

- Coach Johnson has strong ties to the AAU scene in the Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans areas

- I look for Justin Coleman to be a star under Johnson

- I think this is a big enough splash hire to get Ingram back into the fold

- This hire will get NBA caliber talent to start to seriously consider Bama again.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Landing Johnson would be 'steal' for Alabama, coach says

When Ben Jobe became head coach at Southern University in 1986, a 5-foot, 11-inch point guard from New Orleans walked into his office with a problem.

"The coach had left and he said he had been promised a scholarship, but he didn't have one," Jobe recalls. "A lot of schools had turned him down because he was too small."

That player was Avery Johnson. Nearly 30 years later, Jobe is still thankful Johnson walked through his office door. Southern won back-to-back SWAC tournament titles in 1987 and 1988 with the 'Little General" running the show on and off the court.

If Johnson winds up at Alabama, Jobe says the Crimson Tide "would be getting a steal." ESPN is reporting Johnson has made a verbal agreement to coach the Tide after reportedly meeting Saturday night with Alabama athletic director Bill Battle about the vacant head coaching position.
He serves as a babysitter on the side...

When Johnson was coaching at Dallas, Jobe recalls Johnson babysitting for a player who wanted to take his wife to dinner for their anniversary.

"He just took the children home with him," Jobe said with a laugh.

Jobe couldn't remember the player's name, but said he played at Brigham Young. Travis Hansen and Rafael Paulo Araujo are the only players from BYU who were with the Mavs during Johnson's time there as head coach from 2004 to 2008.

"I said, 'son you're different,'" Jobe continued. "That's the best I could tell him. I don't know anybody doing anything like that. I said, 'I admire you, I love you, but you're different.' To him, it was just something he was supposed to do. He didn't even stop to think about it. He didn't stop to think about it. He kept the guy's children for two nights."

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

Notes:

- Unless something crazy happens, Pettway is being retained. The remainder of the staff is being assembled as we speak

- Coach Johnson attended the same HS that our RB Coach Burton Burns coached at

- Coach Johnson has strong ties to the AAU scene in the Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans areas

- I look for Justin Coleman to be a star under Johnson

- I think this is a big enough splash hire to get Ingram back into the fold

- This hire will get NBA caliber talent to start to seriously consider Bama again.
Is it just me, or does Antoine Pettway seem like a younger Avery Johnson? Both were small, unheralded point guards who became team leaders largely due to their hard work, high energy, and personalities.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Is it just me, or does Antoine Pettway seem like a younger Avery Johnson? Both were small, unheralded point guards who became team leaders largely due to their hard work, high energy, and personalities.
Similar in some ways..

Pettway's best attribute, to me, is his basketball IQ. I grew up playing against him with his dad coaching... So it's in his pedigree

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

Either way, I'm glad Pettway is staying. I do hope that at least one of the assistants is a seasoned veteran in the CBB world. Pettway should be good in maintaining connections to the state HSs, AAU circuit, alumni, and fans and helping AJ acclimate to Alabama basketball.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Huge hire that will greatly improve our basketball program. Coach Johnson brings the necessary personality for this job. We need a guy who's going to promote and encourage this program and university. He will be a great recruiter, as well. He knows how to connect with people, that's so important in the recruiting process. Coach Saban does this well also.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL

Similar in some ways..

Pettway's best attribute, to me, is his basketball IQ. I grew up playing against him with his dad coaching... So it's in his pedigree
Thanks for all of your input throughout this search. Very interesting comments.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wow! Great Hire. Congratulations!

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Either way, I'm glad Pettway is staying. I do hope that at least one of the assistants is a seasoned veteran in the CBB world. Pettway should be good in maintaining connections to the state HSs, AAU circuit, alumni, and fans and helping AJ acclimate to Alabama basketball.
Cheers on retaining Pettway.

:smile: I catch myself thinking AJ = McCarron . . four years of habit, I suppose. Let's agree that Avery Johnson will be CAJ or HBCAJ . . . For those of us who are a bit slow . . :wink:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

Thanks for all of your input throughout this search. Very interesting comments.
Thank you Sir.

This is actually very exciting for me. At first glance, I was against the idea of it, but the more I think of it...man....this could REALLY work.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

Thank you Sir.

This is actually very exciting for me. At first glance, I was against the idea of it, but the more I think of it...man....this could REALLY work.
I was never "against it" per se, but it definitely keeps growing on me, and I am VERY excited about it now. I am finding myself unnerved that there hasn't been an official announcement, and I really think it would be best for the program if it becomes official before the title game.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

College Bball is little more than Spring Training for the NBA level talent under the one and done rule. This hire makes perfect sense when looking at it in that light. Cal and Coach K have gone "all in" using that model and it appears we have now too. Unless they change the NBA age requirement this was THE way to go.

And no, I'm not saying you can't be successful using the more traditional approach (see Bo Ryan and Wisconsin) but this is clearly the way programs are moving.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

This is definitely an outside the box hire and considering the decrepit condition of the program it looks like a good move. We will have to wait and see how his game translates to college. I find it interesting to see him calling us. I know the SEC is bad right now but it's also wide open of someone can get hot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.