Nice read about the D...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Everybody *wants* to be feared. We'll see if we can get back to that. We have quite a way to go, in my opinion.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
with offenses today and the way the game's officiated, i don't think we'll be seeing any team holding opponents to 10 points a game.

i'd love to see it, but the game doesn't seem set up at present for a team to rely on its defense to control games.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
The secondary was a major issue last year, but the game is very different than it was just a couple of years ago. The 2011 defense was special. They had guys all over the field that just outclassed everybody that they played. It was a perfect alignment of the stars, and not likely to happen again with early departures. That group would make these no huddles look stupid with the sheer talent and experience they brought to the table, but How different would our defense have been with HaHa and Vinnie patrolling the back end. Losing Vinnie probably cost the 2013 title.

The Bama defense is still the envy of the college football world. The truth is the offense has to keep progressing and be ready to carry the team sometimes against these stupid gimmick offenses that the rules give every advantage to. Until things are brought into balance a little more the offenses advantages won't always be overcome. CNS has seen his play book of exotic coverages and blitzes taken away to a large extent because the defense can't substitute or hardly even look at the offenses alignment before the ball is snapped. It has now become a game of man to man and cover two or three with an occasional blitz package from the linebackers. CNS used to blitz from all over the field. Arenas lived in the backfield his senior year, but now it's tough to make that happen because you can't get the plays in and everybody aligned to make the blitzes effective. I'm a life long Bama fan which means I love defense and it has taken some of the joy out of the game for me to watch college football begin to morph into arena football.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
^ I feel like I haven't seen a corner blitz in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A couple years back I thought Standford played lights out against Oregon, mostly due to the linebackers reading the play and knowing when to blitz or clog the hole.

You could really tell they studied plenty of film and of course they had kids with exceptional football IQs.

At Alabama as soon as our guys get to that point they skip their last year to go pro. It's a double edged knife when our players finally get everything down, because they head for the NFL money.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
^ I feel like I haven't seen a corner blitz in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You haven't seen an effective corner blitz. The offense can shift the offensive line because they all have the ability to look to the sidelines for individual adjustments. Never discount the edge looking to the sidelines gives because it allows you to put the walking brain dead athletes at the quarterback position because the coaches make the adjustments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.