So You Are CAJ, What Do You Want to Change About the Program???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hopefully he's already had this conversation with Battle and CAJ has been given full control of the program to do what he wants to do. If so, what do you change?

I'll throw out some of my thoughts:

1. More AAU interaction. This may mean more willingness to take some "one and done guys."

2. More interaction with fan base and selling the program. This will be easy for him. This will probably be the first and most obvious change we'll see.

3. Changes to Coleman? Brighten the place up for a start. Rearrange seating getting the students near courtside, especially in view of TV camera angles.

What else, other than win a lot more games and get to the Dance most years?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
1. Promotion - Do as many media spots as possible. Do as many speaking engagements as possible.

2. Home games - Have better OOC games earlier in the season to get fan support early in November. See if Pearl would want to do a OOC game the weekend of the Iron Bowl. I know Florida and Florida State do it. Also, the environment inside CC needs to improve. The seating arrangement needs to be changed. Hopefully, Bill Battle realizes it and helps make that change without major push-back from the folks using basketball to boost their Tide Pride points for football.

3. Recruiting - Have to get better players on campus to compete. Use that NBA championship ring as much as possible.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
1. Promotion - Do as many media spots as possible. Do as many speaking engagements as possible.

2. Home games - Have better OOC games earlier in the season to get fan support early in November. See if Pearl would want to do a OOC game the weekend of the Iron Bowl. I know Florida and Florida State do it. Also, the environment inside CC needs to improve. The seating arrangement needs to be changed. Hopefully, Bill Battle realizes it and helps make that change without major push-back from the folks using basketball to boost their Tide Pride points for football.

3. Recruiting - Have to get better players on campus to compete. Use that NBA championship ring as much as possible.
This! The place is a tomb without students behind the goals

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This! The place is a tomb without students behind the goals
Actually, I'm more concerned about the number of empty seats alonge the sidelines, behind the benches. Winning will help some of this, but I wish there would be some seperation with Tide Pride football points and basketball season ticket holders.

Put people in those seats who actually attend the games!

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Yes, more with AAU needs to happen now. We are getting left in the dust on this and missing on some great players. Also, better promotion and fan outreach. We have to build this program back to where it was and not wallow in this mire.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
As far as AAU goes, you guys can't have a program with integrity and one that swims in the AAU cesspool. The elite talent is radioactive to the wrong programs and you better hope CAJ can navigate that nonsense with skill.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I agree with most of the op items that need to be changed, but seating need to be changed in a way to allow people who actually attend games to be up front not necessarily students. Students have 2 areas where they get pretty good seats and are right on the floor if they just have to join Crimson Chaos or whatever it will be this year. The configuration of the arena doesn't lend itself well to make the atmosphere any tougher by having the 1st 3 or 4 rows with students as they will still be 15 feet from the floor. We really need a new arena, but that is a battle for another day. We need to change the Tide Pride point system and allow them to make a donation without seats if they do not attend games. You can tell by the ticket tracking if the tickets are actually being used. This would put fans who show up closer to the floor. Every year there are Tide Pride members who show up 1 time a year for the Auburn game assuming we win.

As far as the roster,I think we need a few more big men who can rebound( hopefully there is a JUCO somewhere who will fill the bill) and a true PG.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I am not certain about CAJ will do as a whole. One thing I am sure of however, is CAJ understand every detail of being a successful quick sub-six foot pg at a high level. We already have one of those on roster and I can't wait to see him progress.

As far as the roster,I think we need a few more big men who can rebound( hopefully there is a JUCO somewhere who will fill the bill) and a true PG.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When is the last time AAU got a program in trouble? Unless the Bama coaches are carrying around money bags at AAU events, I don't think anything will happen.

Either the program stays stagnant or it gets better players. What do we want?

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
1. Promote the program
2. Do away with so many terrible early season home games.
3. MOST IMPORTANT....Get good players and win.....everything else will work out.

Coleman can be a superb arena when Bama is winning and there is excitement around the program.
I have been a season ticket holder for many years and attend almost every game....I would be very upset if they moved my seats.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Bama has a pretty large basketball fanbase, however a lot of fans have been turned off by the boring play these last few seasons. I feel like the crowds will bounce back pretty quickly if we can get some wins.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Not every player or coach associated with AAU is dirty and demanding envelopes of cash every visit. Some are though but it's no different than football players with their camps and handlers. A good coach should know the ones to stay away from and the ones to go after. The program will never be competitive if we don't recruit where the majority of talent is.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As far as AAU goes, you guys can't have a program with integrity and one that swims in the AAU cesspool. The elite talent is radioactive to the wrong programs and you better hope CAJ can navigate that nonsense with skill.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
As others have said too, I believe CAJ has got to try to navigate it and other coaches are doing it without NCAA issues. If we are going to compete with KY in this league, we've got to try to open up some of those channels.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
As others have said too, I believe CAJ has got to try to navigate it and other coaches are doing it without NCAA issues. If we are going to compete with KY in this league, we've got to try to open up some of those channels.
How many AAU monsters are on Wisconsin's team?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
When was the last time you heard of a basketball program being punished for dealing with AAU coaches and players? Think about it, basketball is the NCAA's cash cow and without it they cease to exist. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. And for those of you who will bring up Tyrone Beamon, we were at fault because we handled the situation internally about as poorly as possible. Marie Robbins should have never been in charge of compliance, at least for mens sports. She and Ronnie Cottrell detested each other. Marie thought she could use the NCAA to get rid of him and add a feather to her cap as well. She turned out to wrong on both counts as Fat Phil, Roy Kramer, and the NCAA used her to try to take us down.

I digress, but my point is that the NCAA will ignore most of the AAU recruiting issues because it serves them to do so. I don't want us to go out and blatantly break the rules either, but I do want us to compete on a level playing field with the rest of college basketball.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How many AAU monsters are on Wisconsin's team?
It was obvious they were a TEAM. Good teams can and will rise to near the top.

It's also obvious they came up short, and in the end, just didn't have the horses to hang with Duke, the deeper team.

Just saying we need to poach the ranks for some players and I hope CAJ understands that.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It was obvious they were a TEAM. Good teams can and will rise to near the top.

It's also obvious they came up short, and in the end, just didn't have the horses to hang with Duke, the deeper team.

Just saying we need to poach the ranks for some players and I hope CAJ understands that.
Wisconsin had a bunch of seniors and solid players. While a team like that can win and compete, it is hard for them to beat a really well coached and more physically talented team in Duke. You don't need a team full of them, but you need a few game changers to compete with the UK's and Duke's of the basketball world. He'll be a success at Alabama if he just gets us to the big tourney and win a few there at least at first. It has been proven time and again that more talented team win more often than not.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Game 1 - CAJ should wear an ugly plaid jacket -- and they should rename the court "Sanderson Court" - on the first home game of the season......

Look for the role players needed to make a team work. A Sharpshooter, A boardman, A pick-setter, etc.....even if they just get 5-7 minutes a game.....

Ask Coach Saban to be an honorary Assistant Coach for the first game after the NCG.....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.