Police officer in South Carolina shoots man in the back 8 times.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This story should not be about race - it needs to be about proper police procedure and how this police officer will be prosecuted.

Tidewater is spot on in his post (#18) above.....this cop has to be prosecuted just like any other person who wrongly shot another in order to discourage future acts to whatever extent possible.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This is as bad as it gets and indefensible. Yes, I am willing to hear the police officer's side of the story, but even if the guy was a repeat violent offender he is going to have a hard time defending this action.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This officer has been charged, and, I believe, will be convicted especially because of the video.
I feel bad for everyone concerned, but in my view, the reason we punish perps is not out of hatred for the perp, but to discourage others from committing the same crime. When enough cops go to jail for murder (or assault in lesser cases of police abuse), then cops will start to think twice before stepping over the line.
In this case, I'd bet all the dead man's wounds are in his back. It will be really hard, in light of the video, for the defense to make the case that the dead man was attacking the cop.
When I was stationed at Ft. Bragg, a soldier from the 82nd Airborne Division shot a Somali kid in the back with a 40mm buckshot round. His defense was that he felt threatened, but the kid's wounds were all in his back. The prosecution said, "You felt threatened by a 70 pound Somali kid who was running away from you?" Dude was found guilty. I'd bet this cop will be as well.
I think one was classified as "side." The other three were in the back...

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Couple of things about this incident I have questions about.

Watching the video a couple of times, there's no blood on the victim's shirt. Even when he's down on the ground for an extended period of time...no signs of having been shot. Eight shots means the cop was probably firing a 9mm or a .45 or similar weapon. To be shot five times in the back at that close range wouldn't there be signs of blood on the green shirt?

Secondly I find it almost incredible this person filming was never seen or acknowledged by the cops. At one point the camera is up against the chain link fence, appearing to be no more than 30 feet away.

There are a lot of questions about this video.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well the dash cam video does once again demonstrate that resisting arrest - can have some pretty grave consequences.

Of course that is not the narrative we hear from the media.

I can't post it here due to the colorful language but they should be showing the Chris Rock You Tube video "How not to get your a__ kicked by the police" over and over and over.

We already know the cop was wrong - now let's start talking about how to reduce the escalation of law enforcement encounters.....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Watching the video a couple of times, there's no blood on the victim's shirt. Even when he's down on the ground for an extended period of time...no signs of having been shot. Eight shots means the cop was probably firing a 9mm or a .45 or similar weapon. To be shot five times in the back at that close range wouldn't there be signs of blood on the green shirt?
Entrance wounds aren't that bad from what I've seen. If they penetrated enough to exit, the exit wounds will likely be pretty messy, but those would be in the front.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.