Police officer in South Carolina shoots man in the back 8 times.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The truth is policemen are held accountable most of the time but it is not publicly announced. I have a cousin that was with North Charleston PD and he testified against two fellow officers for planting marijuana on a kid to try and get information out of him. The two officers were dismissed and I believe convicted. My cousin has since left North Charleston and has been selected State Law Enforcement of the Year and now runs the Charleston County Bomb Squad.
Kudos to you cousin. That's wonderful. But I don't call double secret probation and a job transfer accountability. Accountability for a public officer is when that officer has to face the public and answer for his crimes. True personnel matters are one thing, but criminal activity and abuse of power/civil right violations are an entirely different matter. Too often those matters are hidden, swept under the rug, or otherwise overlooked by other criminal cops or enablers.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know some cops. Some good cops. Known a few bad cops, too. Have a friend whose family has suffered the loss of a good one. Not all cops are bad. Nowhere near that.

But those who do bad things violate not just the law, but the public trust. Their punishment should be double.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You can't make this up. A man stole a horse and received a beat down for his trouble. This one may be justified hard to tell if he was resisting. All I can say is at least he is alive.
I saw that and victim appeared to be white too. Get a some cops adrenalin rushing and there is no telling what will happen.:eek:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You can't make this up. A man stole a horse and received a beat down for his trouble. This one may be justified hard to tell if he was resisting. All I can say is at least he is alive.
No he wasn't resisting. It certainly wasn't justified. White or black, when are we going to understand it doe not matter? If anyone thinks they're immune to this kind of treatment because of race or social standing they are fooling themselves.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
No he wasn't resisting. It certainly wasn't justified. White or black, when are we going to understand it doe not matter? If anyone thinks they're immune to this kind of treatment because of race or social standing they are fooling themselves.
It does look bad but what's to say they haven't been told the guy might be armed? I know when that is a possibility the police DO NOT take chances. They have to assume that at any point the suspect can access the weapon and fire. I know that is why they pounce so quickly and do not give the suspects a chance to move. That may not be the case here I'm just saying that I'll wait to hear the whole story. If they are fleeing it is usually for a reason that ain't pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It does look bad but what's to say they haven't been told the guy might be armed? I know when that is a possibility the police DO NOT take chances. They have to assume that at any point the suspect can access the weapon and fire. I know that is why they pounce so quickly and do not give the suspects a chance to move. That may not be the case here I'm just saying that I'll wait to hear the whole story. If they are fleeing it is usually for a reason that ain't pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was $30K behind in support and court fees and would be going back to jail if arrested. People do sometimes flee from jail time. They don't generally flee because they have a weapon...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One thing's been running through my mind, and this is just musing aloud. All of us who've spent a fair amount of time in the backcountry know the rule that you never, ever flee from a predator, because just the act of fleeing triggers the predatory instinct towards prey. Make no mistake, we are descended from predators, even though, like almost all predators, we've been prey at times. So, the predatory instinct is buried back in our DNA, buffered by millennia of overlying temporal lobe intellect. Could it be that some, faced with a fleeing object get overwhelmed with that ancient instinct and adrenalin and revert to form? Just thinking out loud...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
^^^ Interesting theory, Earle....you may onto something.....

For me...when a detained individual runs/drives away from (or resists in some other form or fashion) from an encounter with law enforcement......the word 'escalate' comes to mind.

es·ca·late
become or cause to become more intense or serious.
"the disturbance escalated into a full-scale riot"
synonyms:grow, develop, mushroom, increase, heighten, intensify, accelerate "the dispute escalated"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
^^^ Interesting theory, Earle....you may onto something.....

For me...when a detained individual runs/drives away from (or resists in some other form or fashion) from an encounter with law enforcement......the word 'escalate' comes to mind.

es·ca·late
become or cause to become more intense or serious.
"the disturbance escalated into a full-scale riot"
synonyms:grow, develop, mushroom, increase, heighten, intensify, accelerate "the dispute escalated"

Well, we know that a brief scuffle had ensued. Maybe resistance plus flight is something some people just can't tolerate. Of course, they shouldn't be wearing blue, badge and gun, but how do you winnow them out? The old Indian guy here who was pushed down heavily and ended up partially paralyzed, although the officers knew that he didn't speak or understand a word of English, the last thing said on the video by the dismissed officer was "Don't pull away from me," after he'd grabbed him. Not knowing what was being said, that's a very human reaction, but, rather than de-escalating at that point, the young officer took him down...

Shoeless

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
One thing's been running through my mind, and this is just musing aloud. All of us who've spent a fair amount of time in the backcountry know the rule that you never, ever flee from a predator, because just the act of fleeing triggers the predatory instinct towards prey. Make no mistake, we are descended from predators, even though, like almost all predators, we've been prey at times. So, the predatory instinct is buried back in our DNA, buffered by millennia of overlying temporal lobe intellect. Could it be that some, faced with a fleeing object get overwhelmed with that ancient instinct and adrenalin and revert to form? Just thinking out loud...
I think this is a big part of the problem.

When I was much younger ...... I remember watching deer in my greenfield and decided not to shoot but the minute that they got spooked and took off running something would trigger to raise up and take the shot. I didn't always shoot but sometimes I did. In the later years that didn't seem to be as much of an issue.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think this is a big part of the problem.

When I was much younger ...... I remember watching deer in my greenfield and decided not to shoot but the minute that they got spooked and took off running something would trigger to raise up and take the shot. I didn't always shoot but sometimes I did. In the later years that didn't seem to be as much of an issue.
Good example. With some folk, that instinct may lie closer to the surface. How you would determine that, I haven't a clue...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well, we know that a brief scuffle had ensued. Maybe resistance plus flight is something some people just can't tolerate. Of course, they shouldn't be wearing blue, badge and gun, but how do you winnow them out? The old Indian guy here who was pushed down heavily and ended up partially paralyzed, although the officers knew that he didn't speak or understand a word of English, the last thing said on the video by the dismissed officer was "Don't pull away from me," after he'd grabbed him. Not knowing what was being said, that's a very human reaction, but, rather than de-escalating at that point, the young officer took him down...
Many cops do a great job of leaving their ego at home - controlling their emotions - focusing on their job to keep the peace - while maintaining law and order of course but the others - I think it's a power trip to some degree.

Maybe they should show old Andy Griffith episodes to these recruits.....no one ever resembled a "peace officer" like Andy did.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Above all others, those entrusted with the public's liberties and lives must be able to rise above our animal instincts.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Above all others, those entrusted with the public's liberties and lives must be able to rise above our animal instincts.
They are still human......I think you are looking for Superman.......humans still make mistakes....

Yes, he should be punished for his mistake.....but you can't expect the police to be without flaws.....

It's a terribly sad situation, but to be a policeman in the first place, you have to assume a certain type of person to begin with. I can believe that an animal instinct can kick in.....especially when you feel like your life in on the line.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
They are still human......I think you are looking for Superman.......humans still make mistakes....

Yes, he should be punished for his mistake.....but you can't expect the police to be without flaws.....

It's a terribly sad situation, but to be a policeman in the first place, you have to assume a certain type of person to begin with. I can believe that an animal instinct can kick in.....especially when you feel like your life in on the line.
No Superman requested or required.

Is it really too much to expect a police officer to refrain from murdering someone in cold blood?!

We ALL face situations in which we may want to hurt someone. If we do follow through with it then for breaking the law we are arrested by...wait for it.....a policeman. Should they not be held to at least the same minimum standard of not egregiously breaking the law? If I lose my cool and kill someone it is at least manslaughter.

I don't expect anyone at all to be without flaws.

I am completely flabbergasted that anyone can defend a cop that kills a citizen in cold blood and then doctors the scene as appears to have happened here.

And to be clear, I support good cops fully. The good are those who attempt to obey the law and can overcome their animalistic drive to unjustly harm and kill people. I know my standards are completely unrealistic, but I'm unwilling to budge on those 2 principles.

Some cops hide behind the badge and misuse and abuse it to do evil. They dishonor those who are good cops. And so do those who defend their behavior. I've known too many good cops to let that slide, not to mention the completely selfish fact that I don't want myself or my kids unjustly killed by a bad cop.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is a distortion of the point I was trying to make. Certainly, anyone can resort to animal instinct and try to defend when one's life is on the line. This was not true in this case. My point was that we may have a predator instinct which comes to the surface under the right circumstances - struggle, adrenalin - that it may kick in to override logic and induce us to shoot just because the prey is fleeing. Has nothing to do with "life on the line."

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
He was $30K behind in support and court fees and would be going back to jail if arrested. People do sometimes flee from jail time. They don't generally flee because they have a weapon...
Am I the only one that thinks it's discriminatory that we will put a man in jail for not supporting his child, but a woman, EVEN those already on welfare (acknowledging they can not support their current child, children or themselves) can continue to have children that she knows full well she can NOT support? Looks like the man had been to jail 6 times already for child support and the fear of going back is what cost him his life.

Anyone else remember this little nugget. "Somebody needs to help pay for all these kids". After we pay for 2 you should be forced to get your tubes tied. Thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Agreed. I know a guy (in Lee County, no less) who ran when the law came to his door over several missed court appearances for assorted traffic violations. No one he knew would hide him so he joined some other homeless folks living in a tent in the woods. After going for weeks with no bath or clean clothes, practically starving and shivering from the winter weather, he finally walked over to the county jail and gave himself up.
It's good that he didn't have a gun because he was so miserable that he probably would have used it on himself.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Agreed. I know a guy (in Lee County, no less) who ran when the law came to his door over several missed court appearances for assorted traffic violations. No one he knew would hide him so he joined some other homeless folks living in a tent in the woods. After going for weeks with no bath or clean clothes, practically starving and shivering from the winter weather, he finally walked over to the county jail and gave himself up.
It's good that he didn't have a gun because he was so miserable that he probably would have used it on himself.
IIRC, Scott had already done time three times already. Obviously, he had no hope of climbing out of a $30K+ hole. He may have believed that he'd never get out again. I'll vent just a bit about pumped up court costs. They've been escalated out of sight. I'm sure they're supposed to function at one level as a de facto fine, but, in a case like this, involving child support, all it does is cause the defendant just to give up on even trying to catch up on support. I like your Lee County example. All freedom is relative... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There seems to be some evidence showing now that Scott had indeed gained control of the Taser and had used it on the officer in the struggle. Each person will have to decide if it's exonerating or not. IMO, it isn't, even if Slager had two darts lodged in him, painful as that may be. However, it's possible it might lower the charge from murder one to some degree of manslaughter...

LINK
LINK II

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.