Link to the Coach Avery Johnson Press Conference 11 am Central

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Just WOW! Talk about a home run press conference. I thought he was about to forget to Roll Tide. Shame on me for thinking that. ;)

It sure looks like we have lots of excitement ahead. Can't wait.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Coach AJ is a very friendly guy. In one day he took the campus by storm. He was everywhere: press conference, in Coleman C. answering questions from the media, at football practice talking to Coach Saban, at football practice talking to the football team, probably working to hire assistants, probably recruiting, checking to see what needs to be done in Coleman C., etc. Amazing! If you could package that awesome energy that he has at 50, you could become very rich.

That Superman post says it all. He was Superman today.
i completely agree. marshall may have been the first attempt, but i can't believe he would have done any of this. i am truly impressed with how CAJ has gotten out in front of things. we've lacked a public presence for far too long. i, for one, am SOOO happy to have someone doing that.

bamafan157

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 22, 2008
Tuscaloosa
The thing that amazes me is how much he seems to already be enjoying himself. I know he's just talking to the press, but on the video of the interview in Coleman, he seems to be genuinely having fun. I don't think I've seen a coach who looks like they're having fun in interviews with the press. If he has this much enthusiasm doing what many coaches would consider "the worst part of the job", then I can only imagine how it's going to be on the court. Enthusiasm goes a long way.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..And with him leaving ESPN & his "Media Job", having a representative soooo media friendly, will help in recruiting, when the media is your friend, it's a huge help with every aspect of you B'Ball Program..The media already loves him as our B'Ball HC & that will be a huge help in recruiting..I've literally never been this excited about Bama B'Ball, as I have since we've hired CAJ, I can't wait to see Coach in action on the recruiting trail & coaching on the B'Ball court..Y'all know he will bring a fire coaching on the court, unlike we've ever witnessed here at Bama, you can feel his love & enthusiasm he already has for The University Of Alabama..And the man hasn't been at Alabama for a week as of yet..There's a buzz about him & Alabama Basketball that I've never felt or witnessed & I haven't even "Buckled My Seat-belt" yet Coach..LOL

The thing that amazes me is how much he seems to already be enjoying himself. I know he's just talking to the press, but on the video of the interview in Coleman, he seems to be genuinely having fun. I don't think I've seen a coach who looks like they're having fun in interviews with the press. If he has this much enthusiasm doing what many coaches would consider "the worst part of the job", then I can only imagine how it's going to be on the court. Enthusiasm goes a long way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cecil's article this morning

Here's the main part of it worth noting...

Johnson stressed recruiting in his time at the podium, citing his recognizability from his NBA and ESPN careers and promising to “put a fence around the state” of Alabama. But in a later question-and-answer session with reporters, he indicated that he planned to build on a foundation of current UA players as well.

“I had a situation with the (New Jersey) Nets where it needed to be a clean slate because they were 12-70 the year before,” Johnson said. “But in this situation, there are a couple of pieces in place. I'm not blowing up the roster. For the most part, the roster will stay intact.

“We may have to make some decisions later, but we will make those at the appropriate time.”

Alabama has two scholarships available going into the late signing period that begins next week. Johnson did not say whether he might bring in more than two new players, but did say that “everything was on the table” in terms of building a roster.

“I'm looking for kids who are tough-minded, who embrace physicality. I'm looking for kids that are unselfish, who care more for their teammates than themselves.
“They can be anywhere. High schools, working with high school coaches, is good. AAU is good. Junior college is on the table. I went to junior college. Fifth-year graduates are on the table. We will look at whatever will improve our team.”

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I hope he doesn't start running people off and it sounds like he won't. Players that don't fit his system won't get many minutes, but they still deserve the education they came here for. In a couple years the roster will be stocked with his guys.

However, as with any new coach I am sure someone will decide to leave on their own and that would be best for both parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This precisely what my only qualm about CAJ is. Until he can get the type of players, into the system, that are comfortable with his methods, we could have a few rough patches.

My fears are compounded by his replacing CAG. Following someone who held the reins too tight, like CAG did, may "upset" the psyche of some of the players we now have.

After hearing CAJ speak, and the fact he actually wanted to come here, most of that fear is alleviated . Maybe in retrospect, he is precisely the coach we needed to replace CMG (aka Coach Gottfired). Imagine the impact someone like him could have made, if they were replacing the BB equivalent of Mike Shula. Instead, we got a really nice guy, that most of us liked, but failed to connect with the fan-base and did not promote the program. And in the end, acted liked he wanted to be somewhere else.

Can't say any of those negatives about CAJ!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.