Link to the Coach Avery Johnson Press Conference 11 am Central

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Wonder which recruits he might be referring to???

I also saw where Cecil Hurt tweeted about a 6' 10'' big man graduating from some school that had another year of eligibility. Veiled hint???
He's obviously talking about Frank Kaminsky.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I'll admit, I was skeptical at first of the hire due to Johnson's lack of college coaching experience. However, he's won me over really quickly. He's already brought more passion, energy, and excitement in a week than the previous 3 coaches brought in their entire tenures combined. I love that CAJ is hitting the ground on a dead sprint, and I'm excited that we have a coach who doesn't seem to want to use this job as a stepping stone. I'll be greatly looking forward to what I hope will be a productive off season, and an entertaining first year.

(Imo, such a better hire than Marshall. Not to pile on to Marshall, but we were offering a excessive contract for results that he probably couldn't have delivered. CAJ is a splash hire for significantly less. Plus he seems to genuinely want to be here, not just looking for a payday. Hopefully CAJ will live up to the promises he's making early on.)

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
People don't respond to a need.....people respond to a vision. The last few years of Bama Basketball felt like we were asking the fans to support a need..........CAJ has turned that feeling upside down, and cast a bold vision for the future of Bama BB. If he can deliver a product that mirrors his personality, it will be thrilling to see the environment in Coleman. I can't wait! RTR!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I wish Basketball season started tomorrow!
So he won you over as well? I'll say, once I thought about it, I thought he is a much better choice than Marshall.

I heard on WJOX they asked him about teaching basketball to kids. He said" Basketball is basketball, We're not saving lives here it is just Basketball". I just can't wait.

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I tried to tell fans that they were going to be more than happy with CAJ and what he brings to the table. All the rival fans and haters get hung up on this mess about no college experience or never recruited before. Many of our very own did not like the hire nor understand the thought process. Well in less than 48 hours he has made believers out of thousands without so much as one shot being attempted. Coaching college sports can be summed up in two essential qualities. Leadership and Motivation. There is no doubt a NBA Coach of the Year knows X's and O's. There is no doubt a championship caliber point guard knows how to play the game a lead a team. Recruiting is nothing but salesmanship and making relationships. I will take Coach Johnson and his high standards and personality over any top snake oil salesman in college basketball today. We just witnessed the total rebirth of our old, tired and ho-hum basketball program/process with this one electric hire by CBB. You are going to see everything from stadium upgrades, new merchandise apparel designs, seating changes, student participation, passionate fan support, gameday circus atmosphere, media swarms, repeated school name recognition, current talk show and sports article topics, celebrity appearances, local business interaction, dual sport interaction and involvement, recruiting surge, inflow of elite talent, players laying it all on the line, up tempo play, aggressiveness, rapid fan base growth, renewed rivalries, never quit attitude, etc.

As CAJ says, and I take him at his word. You better buckle up, we are going for a ride!

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The football team is on the road October 17 (the weekend basketball practice starts), but we host Tennessee the following weekend. It would be great if they could put together some sort of scrimmage/midnight madness thing for the Friday night before the game.

I had my doubts, but I am warming up to him. I am still concerned about his lack of college experience, but he comes across as very energetic and excited to be here. A low key persona may work at some place that is a basketball school, but here you need someone who is a bit of a showman. I think he fits the bill. I think he will definitely be able to recruit. He said he has been studying the college game now that his son is a player, so he isn't totally foreign to the concept. I also think having a black coach will be a help in recruiting.

Another plus is that the media love for him has gotten under Pearl's skin, so I'm sure the barners are upset. Also, the BOT being involved with his hiring ticked off the fans on the extension center's message board.

Welcome to Alabama, Coach Johnson!!!!!

Last edited:

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I see a lot of talk of Midnight Madness. I hope we have a better turnout than we did when CMG had them. During the height of his success the Midnight Madness event was so terrible that it was scrapped.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I can't believe i have a itching to look up college basketball recruits for the 1st time in my life.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
It is great to see some excitement back in the program. Now, it is off to recruit kids that can WANT to play for Bama AND win!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I missed the presser and just watched, but dang that was a total 180 vs the last several years. He's the anti-Grant when it comes to press conferences. This is the first time I've been excited about BAMA basketball in a long time. I really hope the AD and BOT can match his enthusiasm and vision. If so, we can be in for some good times. Honestly, I'm not going to be like some here and say Final Four in a few years. I'm just hoping we can look forward to being in NCAA Tourney and not the NIT on a regular basis.

Last edited:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I missed the presser and just watched, but dang that was a total 180 vs the last several years. He's the anti-Grant when it comes to press conferences. This is the first time I've been excited about BAMA basketball in a long time. I really hope the AD and BOT can match his enthusiasm and vision. If so, we can be in for some good times. Honestly, I'm not going to be like some here and say Final Four in a few years. I'm just hoping we can look forward to being in NCAA Tourney and not the NIT on a regular basis.
That's about where I am with regards to expectations. We should have the talent to compete for a tournament bid next year, but it's no sure thing, and that's okay. If we show progress, I'm good with that. Then, like Coach Popp's favorite saying, we just need to keep pounding the rock and eventually we'll break through.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We should have the talent to compete for a tournament bid next year, but it's no sure thing, and that's okay.
I agree. With the freshman talent coming in, we have a good shot at sneaking in. If he does make the tourney then he is better than we thought for sure as we'll be fairly young starting wise. But if we don't make the tournament I'll still be happy as he needs a few years before we start screaming about chopping his head off.....lol.

Like most here I am excited for next year already. I seriously doubt we lose Hall or Austin considering we kept Pettway and hired a pretty energetic coach.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I have not responded since the hiring of Avery Johnson. It's taken a little while to recover from my prediction of a newly hired Basketball Coach by page 107 of the coaching hire thread. I ONLY missed it by 121 pages according to someone in the know and I am glad that I was 121 pages wrong.

I am really very impressed with the hiring of Avery Johnson as Bama's basketball coach. He is an excellent communicator who will hopefully lock up the state of Alabama and get a few from other states like Texas. Duke had an excellent player from Texas. Kentucky has at least two Texas players maybe more.

I really like spelling his first name with that Script A. I think I saw that on RollTide.com.

Coach AJ is a very friendly guy. In one day he took the campus by storm. He was everywhere: press conference, in Coleman C. answering questions from the media, at football practice talking to Coach Saban, at football practice talking to the football team, probably working to hire assistants, probably recruiting, checking to see what needs to be done in Coleman C., etc. Amazing! If you could package that awesome energy that he has at 50, you could become very rich.

That Superman post says it all. He was Superman today.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.