Folks in attendance along with the players:
Trevor Releford
C.M. Newton
Wendell Hudson
Patrick Murphy
Dana Duckworth
Kristy Curry
Wimp Sanderson

@CecilHurt Not to say the room is filling up for the Avery Johnson press conference but attendance will exceed UA's last 3 SEC home games.

AD Bill Battle talking difficulties of hiring a coach: "I have told everybody that if Nick Saban leaves while I'm here, I'm out of here."
Bill Battle said hiring a new basketball coach at Alabama was harder than any personnel move he made as a business man.
Battle: "After a few hours he convinced me he belonged in (CBB). And if that was the case I convinced him he belonged at Alabama,"

Avery Johnson thanks ESPN, Jalen Rose, Doris Burke and NBA Countdown crew for the years he spent with them.
Johnson thanks ESPN -- Jalen Rose and Doris Burke in particular -- for his time working with them.
Johnson: "What a great day it is for me to be the new head men's basketball coach."
Avery Johnson jokes that he needs a "Wrap-it-up-box" from the Chappelle Show when speaking.
Avery Johnson on the Alabama job: "This is a great opportunity with tremendous potential."
Johnson: "I want to thank all of the current players. I had a chance to meet with them yesterday. ... We had a good meeting."
Avery Johnson said he met with Alabama's players yesterday. Said they were a little "anxious" at first.
Avery Johnson thanks both former UA coaches CM Newton and Wimp Sanderson for being here.
Avery Johnson tearing up now as he thanks Ben Jobe, his college coach at Southern University.
Johnson's coach from his college playing days at Southern is here. Johnson gets a little choked up thanking him.
Avery Johnson: "To every recruit in the state of Alabama, you are our first target."
Avery Johnson: "To every recruit in the state of Alabama, you're our first target. We want to put a fence around the state of Alabama."
Johnson: "We want to put a fence around the state of Alabama. The state of Alabama and its HS players and its AAU players, u r our priority"
Johnson: "I wouldn't have taken this job if we couldn't make it to the Final Four." Said Duke is the standard for Alabama.
Avery Johnson just name-dropping NBA-ers all over this press conference. Think I see him winking to recruits watching.
Avery Johnson: "Buckle your seatbelt. Buckle your seatbelt. Buckle your seatbelt. We’re going somewhere."
Avery Johnson says Duke University, who just won the NCAA championship, is the standard he's aiming for.
Avery Johnson says former Alabama players are welcome and have an open invitation to come back. Said the program needs them.
Johnson: "Why did I take this job? I had a burning desire to get back into coaching, but specifically at the collegiate level."
Avery Johnson: “When the University of Alabama calls, you take the call. … and I’m glad I did."
Avery flexin' now: When coach Avery Johnson walks into a recruits living room, they recognize coach Avery Johnson on some level.
Avery Johnson takes the “can he recruit?” question head on: “If you want to make it to the next level, I’m your guy."
Avery Johnson: "If you want to make it to the next level as an NBA player, I'm your guy." If he can get me to the NBA he's coach of century
Johnson: "When I look at the landscape of what's happening in the SEC, there's some great teams." Says they have some "work to do."
Johnson on recruiting: "Coach Pettway and I, as soon as this press conference is over, we've got work to do."
Avery on the couch in his office: "I'm a guy who likes to sleep in the office, so we're going to have to change this out and get a sofa bed"
Johnson: "Even though Coach Battle blessed me with a six-year contract, it's not going to take that long."

Last edited:

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
very enthusiastic this coach has been thus far in his press conference. the rhetorical answer to what qualifies him as a bball coach at the U of A and how he's qualified to go out on the recruiting trail to get guys to come to the Capstone is very telling. i'm sold thus far. coach AJ just seems like a good man, very personable, and a seasoned basketball guy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I had trouble with the live feed. Somebody put up a link when it's available. What I saw and heard = EXCITEMENT!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.