News Article: OJ Howard Indicates a Faster Alabama Offense in 2015

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

"He's kind of right," Howard said. "The defense, they came out on fire, and we had some turnovers, and we've got to fix that. But I felt like for the most part -- trying to learn a different offense kind of -- first time as a whole unit together, I think we did pretty well as an offense."

Different offense, you say? What's changing in Year 2 of the Lane Kiffin era?

Nick Saban already referenced some of the changes involving more shotgun snaps, a point Howard repeated Monday. The rising junior added a few thoughts about the increased speed with which the offense will use.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
play cards?

say it ain't so.
I'm not a fan of the play cars, either. I get the feeling Saban has finally had enough with the HUNH offenses and decided "You want to play that game? I'll be glad to since I have better athletes than you do."

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I wonder if this is as much for the defense as the offense. Seeing more of this has to help them.

This does not worry me yet. I prefer the big line and bruiser running back game. We still have it.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm not a fan of the play cars, either. I get the feeling Saban has finally had enough with the HUNH offenses and decided "You want to play that game? I'll be glad to since I have better athletes than you do."
Oh God, I need a like button!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would rather be more physical at the point of attack than worry about making the offense faster. We shouldn't have to out scheme other teams. If OSU can whip Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon at the LOS there's no reason Bama can't do the same thing..

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm a firm believer that the HUNH should be a viable strategy.... BUT the play cards should go away. If you have a QB you trust to call plays at the line, let him do it, as fast as he wants. But the whole get to the line - stand up and look the the sidelines thing is exploiting the rules. I'd like to do away with the cards.

That said, the pendulum in college football has completely swung to the offense. If you're not doing something like this - or at least having the ability to do it when you want to - you're playing at a disadvantage. It can be overcome, but why would you do that as opposed to adapting?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I feel like dwarriors88, I need a Huge Like Button.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I would rather be more physical at the point of attack than worry about making the offense faster. We shouldn't have to out scheme other teams. If OSU can whip Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon at the LOS there's no reason Bama can't do the same thing..
You can do both since the HUNH is just a quick-snap gimmick. It should have no bearing on the style of offense we play. Alabama can certainly quick-snap people & have a physical offensive style.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You can do both since the HUNH is just a quick-snap gimmick. It should have no bearing on the style of offense we play. Alabama can certainly quick-snap people & have a physical offensive style.
I disagree that both styles can be played conjunctively..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You may, but the HUNH is NOT an offense.... it's solely a quick-snap gimmick. You can quick-snap someone and run any type of offense you wish to run.
Technically yes you can do that. But, IMO, it greatly impacts the psyche of a team. It would be hard to sell the team on being a physical smash mouth dominate the LOS type team and then say hurry up and snap the ball so we can catch them off guard and trick them. Are we going to quick snap teams on the goal line and when it is 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1? Probably not. I would rather leave the cute offense stuff alone and focus back on dominating the LOS..

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Don't you guys know that these cute, gimicky, quick snap offenses wins championships? Look at AU in 2013...oh wait...I mean Oregon last ye...nevermind.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I understand incorporating the elements of the HUNH such as always have the option to throw a bubble screen to the WR if the defense is giving a big cushion or quick snapping the ball from time to time. It would just make me cringe if we started doing much more than that on a regular basis. Blake probably threw 30 bubble screens in the first few games last year and they worked great - against lesser opponents. Everybody was all excited that we were incorporating some of that stuff. Then we started to play real teams such as Ole Miss, Arkansas etc and none of that cute stuff worked. I guess that's my point. I don't see us winning a championship again unless we get back the main focus of dominating the LOS..

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Well, think about this. If we take care of things on defense like we have been capable of, we can do anything we want to on the offensive side of the ball. We can go fast. We can go dog slow. If we play great defense, what we do on offense has absolutely no bearing on what the other team does on offense. At best, a fast offense can help keep you close. Defense wins period.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.