News Article: OJ Howard Indicates a Faster Alabama Offense in 2015

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Patriots are a perfect (though not collegiate) example of running a fast paced offense, that is still pro style. They can do fairly anything they like at any speed they like. HUNH isn't just about the thing the Barn or Oregon do.
Key differenes: 1 - Patriots have Tom Brady 2 - NFL teams get lots more practice time

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I'm with you; I hate that card, prairie dog approach. Seems more suited for Auburn, the losers. Course if we beat'em with it, I might grow to like it.
I would rather be more physical at the point of attack than worry about making the offense faster. We shouldn't have to out scheme other teams. If OSU can whip Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon at the LOS there's no reason Bama can't do the same thing..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
College Football has changed on the offensive side of the ball, and more teams have switched to the HUNH style of offense, they have been very effective using the HUNH style offense with lesser talent than we have on our offense..It's scary to think how good our offense would be if we ran a try HUNH offense, that will compliment our always salty D, it would give DC's we play heartburn thinking about & planning for our HUNH style offense under Coach Kiffin..Like I stated..I love & would be a happy camper if we went back to our ball & time controlling offense, but, I wouldn't be disappointed should we go with a HUNH style offense either..
HUNH here we come.

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Danielson has said he thinks playing hunh would be beneficial for bama because we have superior athletes, the more plays with better players their talent should show. Plus if we can catch people of guard with our athletes it can be six.

Having said that the main offensive problem the past two years has been the inability to run the ball in short yardage when needed. I'm hoping the ol talent infusion starts showing this year.
This has driven me crazy as well. Flame me if you want, but I was never truly comfortable when Yeldon was on the field. I always saw him doing too much dancing in the backfield, and I missed the days when Trent and Eddie just ran over guys. Also, Yeldon had a serious problem fumbling right on the goal-line or deep in our own territory. I'd like to see us return to the attitude of, "We're going to run right down your throats, and there's not a thing you can do about it."

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Technically yes you can do that. But, IMO, it greatly impacts the psyche of a team. It would be hard to sell the team on being a physical smash mouth dominate the LOS type team and then say hurry up and snap the ball so we can catch them off guard and trick them. Are we going to quick snap teams on the goal line and when it is 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1? Probably not. I would rather leave the cute offense stuff alone and focus back on dominating the LOS..
but you don't actually have to quick snap the ball. You just hurry to the line. That prevents subs, forces the D to line up and show their cards to the o-coordinator early, and he can adjust the play call. From there you can wait as long as you want to actually snap the ball.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
but you don't actually have to quick snap the ball. You just hurry to the line. That prevents subs, forces the D to line up and show their cards to the o-coordinator early, and he can adjust the play call. From there you can wait as long as you want to actually snap the ball.
Why do those antics though? Think about the teams that have won recent NCs - OSU, FSU, Bama etc all won by being physical and dominating the LOS..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Might have nothing to do with the article, but this quote from Cristobal yesterday makes me wonder about the offense.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
You can be physical and fast. OSU was physical at the point of attack and went fast at times. I would think an Alabama HUNH will look a little more like a Patriots offense with more running plays. I have hated the HUNH, but it's time to beat these guys at their own game with better players. If the QB situation is anything like what we have had with McElroy, McCarron, and Sims the HUNH with the talent Bama puts on the field will make defenses quit in a different way.

Last edited:

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
You can be physical and fast. OSU was physical at the point of attack and went fast at times. I would think an Alabama HUNH will look a little more like a Patriots offense with more running plays. I have hated the HUNH, but it's time to beat these guys at their own game with better players. If the QB situation is anything like what we have had with McElroy, McCarron, and Sims the HUNH with the talent Bama puts on the field will make defenses quit in a different way.
Right. Hurrying up on offense and being physical and bruising ARE NOT mutually exclusive. No need to live in a world of nonsensical binaries.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I could be dead wrong about this but if we start playing a fastball offense the majority of the time I don't think we will win another NC. It's ok to mix some of it in but I think our best chance to win the SEC and NC is a pro set offense which leans on the power running game..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I could be dead wrong about this but if we start playing a fastball offense the majority of the time I don't think we will win another NC. It's ok to mix some of it in but I think our best chance to win the SEC and NC is a pro set offense which leans on the power running game..
Why can't we do both? We can still run a pro-stet offense and use a power run game while going uptempo at times.

Ohio State went uptempo while still dominating the LOS. The OL appears to have more of the smashmouth guys to dominate the LOS again.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I think there's a good chance we see just what we saw in the SEC Championship game against Missouri. Went hurry up a lot (especially early on), still had plenty of the power running game, too. we'll never abandon the power running as long as Saban is coach.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why can't we do both? We can still run a pro-stet offense and use a power run game while going uptempo at times.

Ohio State went uptempo while still dominating the LOS. The OL appears to have more of the smashmouth guys to dominate the LOS again.
Maybe we can. Like I said, I think it's fine to sprinkle some uptempo in the play calling. Kinda makes me nervous how far CLK will go with it. I think we all agree that in the biggest moments last year if we would have just run Henry instead of trying to trick the other team we may have won the NC last year. When we intercepted OSU and had the ball in their territory we tried that cute PA throwback pass instead of just pounding Henry. That's what I mean when I say it can mess with the psyche of the team and coaches. Having some success with tempo last year probably kept us from power running Henry behind big Cam which probably would have won us the game..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Why do those antics though? Think about the teams that have won recent NCs - OSU, FSU, Bama etc all won by being physical and dominating the LOS..
you can still dominate the LOS. WE don't have to run the read-option with a lot of stuff like some of the teams do. We can run Pro-set, physical football with a playbook like we are used to - although I think Kiffen will continue to be much more creative like he was last year so what we were used to pre-Kiffen won't be the standard

For the record though - I HATE the HUNH. One of the best parts of the game to me is seeing the QB and the MLB battle back and forth with on-field audibles. You lose that with the HUNH. I watch a lot less football now than I used to because of the HUNH. That said, if the rules don't change to limit sideline communications like the NFL does, then Saban has to adapt to what the rules allow and at least be able to run it when needed, along with a mix of a dominating run game to wear out the opponent in multiple ways.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There have been a few lengthy threads on TideFans over the last few years which discussed the need that Saban adapt, and quickly, to this new style of offense. This is Saban adapting. Meyer learned from Saban that he had to adapt by adding a power running game.

Great coaches never stop learning. We need to trust a little more.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think there's a good chance we see just what we saw in the SEC Championship game against Missouri. Went hurry up a lot (especially early on), still had plenty of the power running game, too. we'll never abandon the power running as long as Saban is coach.
unless it seems to be working really well in the first round of the playoffs against ohio state

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.