Coaching staff

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'll say this, Stansbury knows how the AAU game works. I think coach Johnson needs to put together a staff he comfortable with first and foremost. We will be able to recruit kids we never has a shot at before. I think we'll find that we get a few one and done's and a few solid role players.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CRS makes me a bit nervous. He had some teams you just wouldn't expect at MSU, both in terms of players recruited and also results. I do think he's a good coach, but, back in the day, we could just about expect to lose one long-term commitment to him every signing season. One year, it was a big guy we really needed. It turned out a huge donation had been made to his church in a little south Alabama town just prior to his switching to MSU. NCAA did nothing. I also remember that our disastrous football probation was made possible by an assistant BB coach, graduate of UT. MSU couldn't protest the Cam Newton mess because their involvement would have been exposed. So, count me as a little anxious...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'd disagree...I'd rather see him go the route CNS has in bringing in some former head coaches from NCAA ranks...like Rick Stansbury who knows the area and recruiting.

CAJ has all the NBA tie we need IMO.
Agreed. CAJ also needs some veteran college coaches around him. Pettway is a good start, but it would be nice to have someone with 20+ years of experience.

All I'll say about Stansbury is that I like the idea of having someone like him on staff.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
CRS makes me a bit nervous. He had some teams you just wouldn't expect at MSU, both in terms of players recruited and also results. I do think he's a good coach, but, back in the day, we could just about expect to lose one long-term commitment to him every signing season. One year, it was a big guy we really needed. It turned out a huge donation had been made to his church in a little south Alabama town just prior to his switching to MSU. NCAA did nothing. I also remember that our disastrous football probation was made possible by an assistant BB coach, graduate of UT. MSU couldn't protest the Cam Newton mess because their involvement would have been exposed. So, count me as a little anxious...
I think it was Mario Austin. He could not get into Alabama. State submitted bogus scores and grades for him to get into MSU. We actually had a copy of the info they submitted to get him cleared and reported it to the SEC office. Slive (or it may have been Kramer) ignored it.

Incidentally when he played as a Junior or Senior, they played us here and we beat them. I overheard a MSU guy saying to his friend that Austin wasn't worth an Escalade.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do think hiring a veteran college coach who knows the SEC would be an asset to the program. I'm just glad it isn't gong to be Stansbury.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think it was Mario Austin. He could not get into Alabama. State submitted bogus scores and grades for him to get into MSU. We actually had a copy of the info they submitted to get him cleared and reported it to the SEC office. Slive (or it may have been Kramer) ignored it.

Incidentally when he played as a Junior or Senior, they played us here and we beat them. I overheard a MSU guy saying to his friend that Austin wasn't worth an Escalade.
Or was it Walter Sharpe?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Looks like CAJ has added Bob Simon from Providence to his Coaching Staff..Sounds like he's a great National Recruiter..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
Great! Glad to hear that we have landed a good recruiter. I found this interesting:

Simon has continued to pound the South in recent months and had the Friars involved with several big-name prospects in the 2016 class, including Braxton Blackwell (Tennessee), Kobi Simmons (Georgia), Josh Langford (Alabama) and Trent Forrest (Florida). The Friars will certainly try to remain in the mix for as many of those players as possible.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Looks like CAJ has added Bob Simon from Providence to his Coaching Staff..Sounds like he's a great National Recruiter..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
I love how the very first sentence blames the hire on our evil football money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It's a Providence News source, so yeah! Funny though!
While he probably is getting a raise, our money really had nothing to do with his hire. He was buddies with Johnson before this and since his recruiting territory was the South, it was a logical move on Johnson's part. I seriously doubt Greg Marshall would have offered him a job.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Simon is a nice pickup from Providence (one of the only towns up North I could see myself living at) and getting Lynch would be nice too. Lynch was my favorite player on the '93 UNC title team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.