Coaching staff

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Alabama reportedly hires son of former college, NBA assistant for staff job

CAJ updates the coaching search.

Alabama head men's basketball coach Avery Johnson provided an update on the final assistant coaching spot on his Crimson Tide coaching staff as the first-year college coach spoke to reporters at the SEC spring meetings in Destin, Fla.

"We've narrowed it down," Johnson said, according to Alex Byington of The Decatur Daily. "Bill Battle and I are going to meet with a prospective coach in the first week of June. Part of it is his schedule. We're both busy this week, so we're going to meet with a coach next week and we'll see where it goes.

"... We've opened up the qualities and traits for what we're looking for, and we're going to hire the coach that we think brings the best to the table in what we're looking for. And it might not necessarily be a coach with previous head coaching experience."
Schedule is too busy and has to wait until next week? Sounds like he's waiting until TR's available after the Warriors finish off the Rockets.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

And Battle meeting with him too seems interesting. I imagine that is not typical for an AD to also interview an assistant coach. Maybe CAJ wants to interviewee to hear about the commitment to hoops?

CAJ updates the coaching search.

Schedule is too busy and has to wait until next week? Sounds like he's waiting until TR's available after the Warriors finish off the Rockets.

Whammer Jammer

1st Team
Dec 1, 2002
High Point,NC

I believe the best defense Bama displayed was while TR was on the staff...hope the rumor is true!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I believe the best defense Bama displayed was while TR was on the staff...hope the rumor is true!
Agreed. I believe it was around the same time that Rah Rah Scott (RIP) developed cancer so we lost 2 outstanding assistant coaches and there was a noticeable negative difference in the program from recruiting to the play on the court. In spite of the run to the elite 8 I never felt like we were as good overall as we were when TR and Rah Rah were the assistant coaches.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Was CAJ was supposed to announce the news of adding players or possiblty adding a coach to the staff this week?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Alabama adds 'legendary' AAU coach to Tide staff Link

Avery Johnson has filled the remaining opening on his staff at Alabama with a big-name, longtime AAU coach who has coached players such as ex-Kentucky star and current Los Angeles Laker Julius Randle, Duke's Matt Jones and Johnson's son, Avery Johnson Jr.

The Tide have hired Scott Pospichal, who will work in conjunction with associate head coach Bob Simon and assistant coach Antoine Pettway.

Pospichal, who has more than 30 years of coaching experience at the AAU, junior college and high school levels, had coached the AAU power Texas Titans of the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League since 2005.

More than 25 of Pospichal's Titans players signed Division I scholarships.

"Scott is a legendary AAU coach, and we are very excited for him to join our program at the University of Alabama," Johnson said in a statement. "During his time with the Texas Titans, he has helped develop numerous players who have went on to do great things at the college and professional levels. He is an excellent coach who specializes in the offensive part of the game and is a great communicator."

The Titans made seven national championship game appearances and won four national titles during Pospichal's 10 years as coach.

"We went through an extensive, vigorous hiring process to bring in the person who we felt would best help us in every aspect of our program, focusing on the areas of recruiting, coaching and player development," Johnson said. "There is no doubt in my mind that Scott fits this mold perfectly and will be a tremendous asset to our program."

Johnson has a longstanding relationship with Pospichal, who told AL.com's Kevin Scarbinsky in April that Johnson would allow him to sit in on coaches meetings when Johnson coached in the NBA.

Johnson traveled to watch Johnson Jr.'s games when he played for the Titans, Pospichal said.

"I feel like I've received the golden ticket for this opportunity to be the assistant basketball coach at the University of Alabama," Pospichal said. "Coach Johnson and I have had a relationship dating back for a few years now. I have always believed in him so much.

"This is a tremendous opportunity to work with him and work at an iconic university and terrific program like Alabama. I am absolutely thrilled out of my mind to get there and get started."

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Well this is unexpected but appears to be a very good coach and has big time connections. I guess TR either turned it down or the rumor was untrue, but CAJ said it was a schedule timing thing last week and not sure this would be the case with Scott.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like CAJ is wanting to take as much talent from the Dallas area as possible. I have no problem with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
In bed with Nike AAU now, this could get interesting

As a client who coaches a competing AAU team told me.... Great hire for BAMA! Knows how to 'shake' hands and get it done....... The fact he knows the $$$$ sources and runners is a HUGE bonus.... He knows the handlers and how to take care of them..:: Or so my client says....

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
As a client who coaches a competing AAU team told me.... Great hire for BAMA! Knows how to 'shake' hands and get it done....... The fact he knows the $$$$ sources and runners is a HUGE bonus.... He knows the handlers and how to take care of them..:: Or so my client says....
Good to know Wylie. This staff has been built on recruiting and Coach Johnson knows how to play the game. We will rise quickly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.