Link: Harbaugh takes a stand, shows "American Sniper" after university cancels it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Harbaugh takes a stand, shows "American Sniper" after university cancels it.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...otball-coach-harbaugh-made-this-announcement/

Rock on Harbaugh! Lots of respect to stand up for what you believe in. I glibly this is a great gesture in his rebuilding if that proud program.

Geeze Swype, I don't need any more help screwing up with spelling. Can a mod change "shoes" to "shows", please?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Harbaugh takes a stand, shoes "American Sniper" after university cancels it.

Good call by Coach Harbaugh, let the students that are offended by the movie protest by forfeiting their football tickets.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Re: Harbaugh takes a stand, shoes "American Sniper" after university cancels it.

i've had it 10 times over with PC absurdity.

well done coach harbaugh!

mods, please remove this comment if it's too political.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Kudos to Coach Harbaugh!

They shoot terrorists, don't they? (Or should that be a . instead of ?)

Roll Tide!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I'm never in favor of a coach having such an inflated opinion of himself that he forgets who the employee and who the employer is in his arrangement. I guess he feels like since Michigan has been thru such a rough stretch he can tell his bosses to jump in the river, he will do as he pleases.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Looks like the university had second thoughts.....

UPDATE — 11:04 p.m. ET: Shortly after coach Harbaugh’s tweet, the University of Michigan reversed course and said their decision to cancel the screening was wrong.
Good for you CJH.....you gotta stand up for freedom of speech.......even when a university fails to do so! :rolleyes:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I'm never in favor of a coach having such an inflated opinion of himself that he forgets who the employee and who the employer is in his arrangement. I guess he feels like since Michigan has been thru such a rough stretch he can tell his bosses to jump in the river, he will do as he pleases.
In many contexts I would agree with you but the reality is that a big name football school and it's big name head football coach are more of a partnership than a strict employee/employer relationship, IMHO. In this instance the school admins needed a backbone and their coach provided one. Kudos to both parties for how they handled it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

In many contexts I would agree with you but the reality is that a big name football school and it's big name head football coach are more of a partnership than a strict employee/employer relationship, IMHO. In this instance the school admins needed a backbone and their coach provided one. Kudos to both parties for how they handled it.
This is one reason political discussions are discouraged on the sports board.

I think the administration showed backbone in deciding not to show that film but then caved to someone too full of himself who forgot who the boss was.

People, myself included, often come here to catch up on the football team and get away from politics. I'm sorry this topic was put up for discussion here and not on the non-sports board.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

Bravo, Coach Harbaugh!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

I think the administration showed backbone in deciding not to show that film but then caved to someone too full of himself who forgot who the boss was.
No, the UM admin caved to the protesters who came out against the scheduled showing. Then found their backbone, again, thanks to Harbaugh.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I'm never in favor of a coach having such an inflated opinion of himself that he forgets who the employee and who the employer is in his arrangement.
Right. A handful of malcontents don't want anyone to see a film they claim is offensive.

Who exactly is the boss here?

I guess the malcontents are the boss. Isn't that how we got rid of CAG? (Trying to keep this sports oriented.)

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Harbaugh takes a stand, shows "American Sniper" after university cancels it.

Can we please move this to the non-sports section??

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

As always, us Christians are the only people that can be legally hated on and nobody say anything about it.

I went to watch it at the movies and read the book, I don't remember him saying in the book or in the movie "I/we hate Muslims"

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

People, myself included, often come here to catch up on the football team and get away from politics. I'm sorry this topic was put up for discussion here and not on the non-sports board.
The man stood up for what he felt was right as every American with a backbone should.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

My opinion of Coach Harbaugh just moved up a couple of notches.
If a few useful idiots are allowed to control what the rest of us do, we are in a lot of trouble.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Universities should have the intestinal fortitude to welcome controversial speech and to be an arena of ideas. It doesn't matter to me if this movie is a left or right film. Universities have a long history of showing films that challenge students' closely and passionately held beliefs and values. They should continue doing so regardless of where those beliefs and values fall on the political spectrum.

ETA: IOW, I support the coach, not because he stood up for this film being shown, but because no film should be banned from campus because someone disagrees with the message.

Again ETA: I would hope those on both the left and the right would feel this way, no matter if they like the film or not. Taking a stand against government censorship should be a nonpartisan issue, IMHO.

Last edited:

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia

i think the administration showed NO BACK BONE at all in deciding not to show it because a muslim student said it offended her and made her feel "unsafe" on campus. it's people like Chris Kyle that make me feel safer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.