Link: CAJ embraces something Grant and Gottfried didn't

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
""Coach Saban with his personality and all of his success, that doesn't scare me," Johnson said after his introduction Wednesday in Tuscaloosa. "It's like a magnet for me."

It was the right answer. It's the right approach for anyone trying to inject new life into the Crimson Tide basketball program and take it places it's never been.

Be jealous of football here, and you'll waste precious time and energy better spent making your program as good as it can be. Ignore football here, and why did you take the job in the first place?"

link http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/avery_johnson_embraces_the_ele.html

Kudos to CAJ for this! He is saying right things so far.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good for him. He knows he will always be #2 here and trying to fight it is a waste of time. Embracing football avoids a lot of headaches.

Gregg Marshall didn't want to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Good for him. He knows he will always be #2 here and trying to fight it is a waste of time. Embracing football avoids a lot of headaches.

Gregg Marshall didn't want to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think football had anything to do with Marshall's decision.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm glad we have a coach who understands and knows how to interact with the media and the fan base. So many coaches try to act like tough guys with the media and that whole act gets old to me..

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't see why it has to be #1 vs. #2. There's football season, there's basketball season. It's like hunting and fishing, sure a guy might prefer to hunt instead of fish and so on, but if he's an outdoors-man he probably loves both. I don't see why the allegiance needs to be conflicted in any way.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't see why it has to be #1 vs. #2. There's football season, there's basketball season. It's like hunting and fishing, sure a guy might prefer to hunt instead of fish and so on, but if he's an outdoors-man he probably loves both. I don't see why the allegiance needs to be conflicted in any way.
Agreed. I think that argument probably has roots in the Coach Bryant - Coach Rupp situation at UK. I doubt that most coaches view it as football vs basketball these days. I'm sure some do but most are probably mature enough to realize that it's good for both sports to flourish. A rising tide lifts all boats. If you look at Coach Bryant as AD he hired CM and Wimp so obviously he wanted a strong basketball program.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
""Coach Saban with his personality and all of his success, that doesn't scare me," Johnson said after his introduction Wednesday in Tuscaloosa. "It's like a magnet for me."

It was the right answer. It's the right approach for anyone trying to inject new life into the Crimson Tide basketball program and take it places it's never been.

Be jealous of football here, and you'll waste precious time and energy better spent making your program as good as it can be. Ignore football here, and why did you take the job in the first place?"

link http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/avery_johnson_embraces_the_ele.html

Kudos to CAJ for this! He is saying right things so far.
I wasn't aware that CMG and CAG had issues with the football team.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My comment earlier came out wrong. I did not mean basketball should just "know their place" in the food chain. However, football is always going to be the most popular sport at Alabama. A basketball coach who has a chip on his shoulder about that is always going to have problems and will never be happy. By reaching out to Saban and talking to the football team, he is showing me he wants to be a part of the overall program and will take any help the football team's success brings him.

Basketball can be quite successful and popular here as has been shown in the past. He has already gotten people excited about basketball when normally they are getting ready for A-Day.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Nice article which created a point and backed it up pretty well. But the real point is that Coach Avery Johnson is on another level than anything we have in college basketball today. The dude is a superstar on so many levels. He is a teacher and mentor like Saban is but, in my opinion, has qualities that create an atmosphere that can surpass that of our beloved football coach. I love Nick even though his pressers can be combative. Reporters are conditioned to work within his realm of tolerance or they get ridiculed. Don't get me wrong now - I love his style and direction of the media, but he can come off brash at times and the national media lies in wait for a controversial sound bite and then pounce like hyenas at the watering hole. Coach AJ is smooth and charismatic way beyond his years. He is going to be so press friendly that he will use them as his minions without them even caring. All AJ has to do is win and the popularity lines separating football and basketball will blur to the point that Crimson Tide fans will be tuning into both sports with passion and zeal. Coach has been here less than a week but he has already won me over. Dude has a power and boy am I a believer so far. My bet is that we have another jewel in the crown that will shine brilliantly for some time to come.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I don't think football had anything to do with Marshall's decision.
I think it was a significant factor. He basically said so himself when he compared the two schools. He said we discuss football year-round here; whereas, at Witchita St., the fans only discuss basketball. He also said that all of the money in the athletic department goes to their basketball program.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I agree that's a smart move. Kind of reminds me of when Stallings came, he embraced the Bryant legacy, whereas both Perkins and Curry had chafed against it.

I'm under no illusions that Johnson wants to retire as a long-term coach at Alabama. But if he has enough success in Tuscaloosa to get himself back to the NBA, another coaching search at that time is a price I'm willing to pay.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.