Bill Battle on replacing Nick Saban

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
As you say, no need to pick one for now. I agree that Lane Kiffin or Gary Patterson would be decent choices. I don't know anything about Bill Clark except that he coached at UAB - maybe the guy who brought up his name was joking as you said. And maybe you have a personal axe to grind about Joey Jones, I don't know. But he's been a consistent winner with lesser talent that what he's had to face everywhere he's been as a head coach. But what you and i think doesn't really matter. The people who make the decisions at Alabama know who Joey Jones is, and are watching his career closely. I hope you're pleasantly surprised one day.
I just can't believe that there is someone who seriously thinks that Joey Jones would be a good hire for our football program as the head coach. From South Alabama to the University of Alabama. What could go wrong? And BTW, I have no connection or axe to grind with Joey Jones. I just think he would be a horrendously terrible choice as our next coach.

Nothing personal against you or Joey Jones. I just think the logic is flawed. Just because he has had success at South Alabama has no bearing on how he would do at Alabama. I know of a lot of division 2, division 3 and high school coaches who have been consistent winners with less talent but I would never think of them as a replacement at Alabama..

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In all likelihood by the time Gary Patterson would be taking an open job, he'd be about sixty years old. Is that who we REALLY want taking over here fresh?

As far as Joey Jones goes - I'd really like a drink of whatever is inspiring that level of audacity. The arguments being given here aren't all that much different than the ones I hear to justify the selections of Mike Dubious (he played at Alabama for Bryant), Mike Price (look, he went to Rose Bowls with little talent as the number two program in the state), and Mike Shula (he bleeds Crimson, he's got the name, he was a legend as a player, blah blah blah).

Every single one of those hires was a monumental disaster. And unlike Joey Jones, Shula took a team within one controversial NFL ruling (the Bert Emmanuel play) of a trip to the Super Bowl, which trumps any coaching Jones has done at any level. Now......if Jones took over Vandy this fall and put together a James Franklin-level resume over four years and then CNS was ready to leave.....THEN I think you could make a solid argument for Joey Jones as head coach at Alabama.

What we need is solid defensive coach with FBS experience who has put together a solid resume at a major program but been just short of the national title due to things like "doing more with less" (a guy from say Michigan St rather than Michigan or from Oregon State rather than Oregon) but has the program on a par with the elite program in the state/area.

And anyone who says Dabo Swinney will be ejected bodily from TideFans.

RTR

edited to add: and for the record, Jones would be about 57 years old himself. Young enough but......

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
I can not think of a single coach who has replaced a "Legend" and was successful-am I missing someone? I would hate to be the one to try to sustain the success after the talent graduated.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I just can't believe that there is someone who seriously thinks that Joey Jones would be a good hire for our football program as the head coach. From South Alabama to the University of Alabama. What could go wrong? And BTW, I have no connection or axe to grind with Joey Jones. I just think he would be a horrendously terrible choice as our next coach.

Nothing personal against you or Joey Jones. I just think the logic is flawed. Just because he has had success at South Alabama has no bearing on how he would do at Alabama. I know of a lot of division 2, division 3 and high school coaches who have been consistent winners with less talent but I would never think of them as a replacement at Alabama..
I don't have a horse in this race, but isn't south alabama D1 now?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't have a horse in this race, but isn't south alabama D1 now?
It's still USA. And I'm not putting the university down at all. I just don't think there is a correlation to being successful at USA and being successful at one of the elite football programs like Bama, Ohio State, etc

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I can not think of a single coach who has replaced a "Legend" and was successful-am I missing someone? I would hate to be the one to try to sustain the success after the talent graduated.
Jimmy Johnson did a pretty good job replacing Tom Landry for one.

He did a pretty good job replacing Howard Schenellenberger, too.

And Tom Osborne did an awesome job replacing Bob Devaney.

Phil Fulmer did okay for awhile replacing Johnny Majors.

Lou Holtz was acceptable in replacing Frank Broyles.

Jimbo Fisher has done pretty good replacing Bobby Bowden, although he was already the coach by most observers' standards

And John Robinson didn't do too awful bad taking over for John McKay, either.

But your point is conceded in the larger picture. Nobody remembers guys nationally like Ray Perkins, Earle Bruce, Ray Goff, Gerry Faust, or a host of others.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

Jimbo Fisher has done pretty good replacing Bobby Bowden, although he was already the coach by most observers' standards

But your point is conceded in the larger picture. Nobody remembers guys nationally like Ray Perkins, Earle Bruce, Ray Goff, Gerry Faust, or a host of others.

OK, how many of those did you actually have to look up?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

God forbid, but you and I are in 100% agreement on this one. Make that 1,000 per cent.
Joey Jones???
Bill Clark???
Let me get this straight. We're talking about the NEXT coach at the CAPSTONE, and some people are talking Joey Jones and Bill Clark????
Bless their hearts.
sip

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
OK, how many of those did you actually have to look up?
Ah, I look at the numbers and see you've been here for years but don't post much.

Yeah, I have one of those supernatural memories that freaks everybody out. Don't play trivia games with me, it's shell-shock time.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Point well made, but the one that had the most difficult job was Ray Perkins. Impossible feat no matter what.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Ah, I look at the numbers and see you've been here for years but don't post much.

Yeah, I have one of those supernatural memories that freaks everybody out. Don't play trivia games with me, it's shell-shock time.

I pretty well knew the answer before I asked...I've seen some of the other posts...I have a pretty good memory too--it's just short...they say the memory is the second thing to go when you get old...I can't remember what the first is...:conf2:...and I'm more of one of those "be silent and let others THINK you an idiot", rather than "speak and let them KNOW it"...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Point well made, but the one that had the most difficult job was Ray Perkins. Impossible feat no matter what.
That's true, and it was made all the more worse by:
a) Pat Dye's immediate success at Auburn
b) The inevitable resignation of Bryant who was REQUIRED BY STATE LAW to retire after the 1983 season
c) Dye grabbing prospects by using that argument
d) a bit of Tide arrogance attained by our monumental 1970s success and Auburn's concurrent flopping
e) the rise of programs in Florida, where we had gotten players for years

Perkins was not a good coach, but he was also in some ways a victim of terrible timing. He actually was a VERY GOOD recruiter, though.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I don't really want to think about who is going to replace Saban right now. I'm glad that won't be my decision. The thought of CNS leaving one day is a little mind-numbing to me, but we all know that time will come.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
God forbid, but you and I are in 100% agreement on this one. Make that 1,000 per cent.
Joey Jones???
Bill Clark???
Let me get this straight. We're talking about the NEXT coach at the CAPSTONE, and some people are talking Joey Jones and Bill Clark????
Bless their hearts.
sip
I dont see Joey Jones being the man, but Im not going to rule out the possibility that Bill Clark could not be a serious canidate down the line (4 to 7 years). Not saying he will or most likely will be, Im just saying that he is a good coach at the right age and the right philosophy. Whoever we get is probably going to be a step or two back from saban, and it could be awhile before another natty. I would say though it probably wont be Kirby like many have thought over the years.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Urban Meyer? (Utah and Bowling Green)
Nope. Utah and Bowling Green are a big step up from USA. Even if you want to make that argument, he would be an exception as he's proved to be on of the best coaches of this generation.

Most of the top college coaches have coached on the lower levels before. It's just that most of them don't make a career of it..

GavinFromMobile

Apr 2, 2015
Hey guys, I have been reading TideFans for about a year now but today is my first as a memeber and am a huge Alabama fan (All sports but especially football and basketball). My family has season tickets to football games so I have been going to most home, almost all neutral/bowl games, and some away games since I was about 5 (although I am only 17). I look forward to posting more and sharing my opinions. But since I'm on this thread, I think that if CNS retired 4-6 years down the road, Lane Kiffin would be a very interesting but risky hire. Maybe he will continue to learn from the best and be a little more practiced as the head guy again. Gary Patterson would also be highly successful here IMO. Thanks guys and Roll Tide!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.