Bill Battle on replacing Nick Saban

spock*

Suspended
Dec 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
"I can promise you that over the last four weeks the learning curve got a lot steeper, because I can assure you it is a lot more complicated to hire a basketball coach at The University of Alabama than it was to hire any kind of staff member, at any level, at my former business. I have learned a lot. I have told everybody that if Nick Saban leaves while I’m here, then I’m out of here. I’m not going to hire the next football coach."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Glad that's not upon us right now...it'll be an exciting and scary time when CNS goes to the lake.

Occasionally my mind wanders into the "who will be next" mode. It's almost impossible to say right now because we don't know if CNS has 1 or 2 more years or 4-5 more years.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
"I can promise you that over the last four weeks the learning curve got a lot steeper, because I can assure you it is a lot more complicated to hire a basketball coach at The University of Alabama than it was to hire any kind of staff member, at any level, at my former business. I have learned a lot. I have told everybody that if Nick Saban leaves while I’m here, then I’m out of here. I’m not going to hire the next football coach."
this quote doesn't exactly instill any confidence in bill battle.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I think he was just joking around in the press conference yesterday. I don't think it was meant to be taken seroius....
Right. Just a little self-deprecating humor, and it was funny.

However, I actually do think that, due to several factors, Battle will likely not be the one hiring the next football coach.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Much respect for Coach Battle.

He obviously cares a lot about the University of Alabama.

And puts in the time and effort to fullfill his duties....beyond expectations.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Of course he was just being funny - but I'm sure there is a hint of seriousness to it as well. No one wants to be the person in charge of making that hire, I can tell you right now.

It's going to be about as difficult as replacing Coach Bryant was. With Coach Bryant, it was replacing the best coach of all time as well as a beloved figure at the University. With Coach Saban, he may not be the best of all time, but he is the best of this generation. It's going to be extremely difficult, and I hope its still a few years away.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Bill Clark. I'm calling it now.
My vote is 100% on Joey Jones. Not only does he love the University, has left his blood and sweat on the field here, but he's one hell of a football coach. Throughout his head coaching career, he has taken lesser talented squad and gone toe to toe with more powerful teams. I can only imagine what he could do with the kind of talent he would get at Alabama. A no-brainer of a choice in my book.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm glad no one on here is hiring the next coach at Alabama. Joey Jones and Bill Clark? That's laughable..

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I'm glad no one on here is hiring the next coach at Alabama. Joey Jones and Bill Clark? That's laughable..
Typical whiner. Makes fun of other people's ideas, but has none of his own. You obviously don't know very much about football and haven't followed the career of Joey Jones if you think that's a laughable choice. Let's hear your list of realistic choices, Einstein.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Typical whiner. Makes fun of other people's ideas, but has none of his own. You obviously don't know very much about football and haven't followed the career of Joey Jones if you think that's a laughable choice. Let's hear your list of realistic choices, Einstein.
Wow I can't believe you were serious about that. I was pretty sure you were joking, but alas.

There's no choice to be made now. However, for sake of discussion I would take Lane Kiffin, Gary Patterson, or a myriad of other candidates over Joey Jones or Bill Clark..

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Wow I can't believe you were serious about that. I was pretty sure you were joking, but alas.

There's no choice to be made now. However, for sake of discussion I would take Lane Kiffin, Gary Patterson, or a myriad of other candidates over Joey Jones or Bill Clark..
As you say, no need to pick one for now. I agree that Lane Kiffin or Gary Patterson would be decent choices. I don't know anything about Bill Clark except that he coached at UAB - maybe the guy who brought up his name was joking as you said. And maybe you have a personal axe to grind about Joey Jones, I don't know. But he's been a consistent winner with lesser talent that what he's had to face everywhere he's been as a head coach. But what you and i think doesn't really matter. The people who make the decisions at Alabama know who Joey Jones is, and are watching his career closely. I hope you're pleasantly surprised one day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.