Luke Del Rio Transferring from Oregon State

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wow. I'm assuming he will have to sit out another year and then have one year of eligibility left?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Take a look at this:
2007: Nick Fanuzzi (transferred after one year)
2008: Star Jackson (transferred after two years)
2010: Phillip Sims (transferred)
2010: Blake Sims (recruited as "athlete," started 2014)
2011: Phillip Ely (transferred after two years) <-- if he hadn't transferred,....
2012: Alec Morris (entering third year)
2013: Cooper Bateman (entering second year)
2013: Parker McLeod (transferred after one year)
2013: Luke Del Rio (walk-on transferred after one year)
2014: David Cornwell (entering second year)
2014: Jacob Coker (entering second year after transferring from FSU)
2015: Blake Barnett (enrolled in January)

Cornwell, Bateman and Morris - Who's next? .

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Obviously could have something to do with Mike Riley leaving Corvallis for Lincoln. Not sure Del Rio has the patience and resolve to play D1 QB.

IMO Morris has been in Tuscaloosa too long to leave. I believe Bateman could likely leave and IMO either Corwell or Barnett will leave, maybe not this year, but likely next year. Not enough playing time for every QB.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Thanks for posting this. A lil perspective right there
Take a look at this:
2011: Phillip Ely (transferred after two years) <-- if he hadn't transferred,....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Take a look at this:

The QB situation in 2013 was one of the worse roster management situations we've had. I think we had something like 7 QBs on scholarship or who were competing for PT. That's just way to many. We probably have to many right now also. Not sure how we keep on ending up in this situation..

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The QB situation in 2013 was one of the worse roster management situations we've had. I think we had something like 7 QBs on scholarship or who were competing for PT. That's just way to many. We probably have to many right now also. Not sure how we keep on ending up in this situation..
*LIKE*

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
one thing to consider is the caliber of talent dictates how well we are able to practice. You say we have too many QBs, but when we are able to field a very effective scout team for the 1's and 2's to scrimmage against, our whole team gets better.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
The college game's all about the QB. Get an elite one and your chances at the title multiply greatly.

I've always felt like we took so many to try and find one after missing on some targets 2010-2012. Bama had the smash mouth run oriented image that may have hurt us with a few top shelf talents. Since 2013 we've recruited the number 1, 3, 4, ranked PP QB According to ESPN. I believe we're in good shape right now on talent.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
one thing to consider is the caliber of talent dictates how well we are able to practice. You say we have too many QBs, but when we are able to field a very effective scout team for the 1's and 2's to scrimmage against, our whole team gets better.
I understand that but still think we should limit our QB position to 3 or 4 (max) scholarship QBs..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The college game's all about the QB. Get an elite one and your chances at the title multiply greatly.

I've always felt like we took so many to try and find one after missing on some targets 2010-2012. Bama had the smash mouth run oriented image that may have hurt us with a few top shelf talents. Since 2013 we've recruited the number 1, 3, 4, ranked PP QB According to ESPN. I believe we're in good shape right now on talent.
I think we are in good shape on talent also. I just think it' was silly to take up close to 10% of the available scholarships on a position where only one player can play at one time. I realize the coaching staff probably didn't do that intentionally, but looking back there were several QBs who we should have never even been recruiting..

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Was the problem that we had 7 scholarship QBs or that we had to bring in a transfer to hopefully take the starting job from all of them after AJ left? I don't have a problem taking that many but I would hope that we are in a better position than we were if we are going to take that many. Blake had an amazing season and was awesome for us but still the QB situation was very fragile.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I agree with the philosophy of one QB each class unless someone leaves early for the draft or two can't miss QB's just really want to roll with the Tide?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.