Bill Battle Explains Process of Firing Anthony Grant

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
I can't say I'm ready to completely throw him under the bus. Trying to be generous and understanding here: If I was working my tail off and felt that my "fans" had turned on me and perhaps that my players had quit on me, but if pre-emptively walking away would cause me to lose $4 million, I might do the same as CAG did.

Just because I might do it, that doesn't mean I'd feel good about myself, but most of the time, behavior is reactive and regret is retrospective.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to consider - Battle fired him on Selection Sunday before most other positions became vacant. That didn't allow Grant to do what Counzo Martin did last year and take another job rather than get fired.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I've heard similar things about him shutting it down and wanting out. Since I don't know from him I won't say it was exactly what happened. That said, I'd never do someone like that. Any time I've had a disagreement with an employer I expressed it or resigned. What I never did was give anything less than my best even when I knew I was done. I'd never walk off. Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If I felt that I had lost the fans, I would take a look at my "philosophy" and see what had changed from the beginning of the year and stop "micro managing"! If your philosophy ain't working, change your philosophy.

I can't say I'm ready to completely throw him under the bus. Trying to be generous and understanding here: If I was working my tail off and felt that my "fans" had turned on me and perhaps that my players had quit on me, but if pre-emptively walking away would cause me to lose $4 million, I might do the same as CAG did.

Just because I might do it, that doesn't mean I'd feel good about myself, but most of the time, behavior is reactive and regret is retrospective.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
CAG's name was linked to 2 or 3 jobs the past several years: Illinois, Minnesota, and Tennessee (I think). That was an indication that his agent was putting his name out there trying to get him another job. In his defense, I know from past personal experience if you hate your job then it is very, very difficult to do your best. Perhaps he tried to get another job and couldn't so he felt like he was stuck. I wish he had resigned and both sides move on but that is water under the bridge.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Well I'm pretty sure if he had resigned he wouldn't have been able to get his 4 Million bucks out of the University. #Unprofessional

CAG's name was linked to 2 or 3 jobs the past several years: Illinois, Minnesota, and Tennessee (I think). That was an indication that his agent was putting his name out there trying to get him another job. In his defense, I know from past personal experience if you hate your job then it is very, very difficult to do your best. Perhaps he tried to get another job and couldn't so he felt like he was stuck. I wish he had resigned and both sides move on but that is water under the bridge.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I would have fired him 2 years ago. It was obvious by then that it wasn't going to work out. On one side, I feel for him because I know what it's like to work in an environment that you hate. I don't know why he hated it at Alabama, but I do hope he finds a situation that is right for him.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I truly think Grant is a good coach. I just think the fit at Alabama was poor from the beginning and it took a long time for any of us to see it.

Grant isn't a program seller, he's a lot like Saban, but Saban stepped into a program that could sell itself. Saban doesn't have to waste time making appearances at public functions to gain fan support, and that's exactly why he's so successful. It's a perfect marriage.

Alabama basketball needs a coach like Avery Johnson. A cheerleader who's going to spend as much time on fan & program building as he will coaching, at least until the program gets a solid foundation. I think if Grant stepped in at a program that was already established he'd have no trouble finding success. We needed things from him he couldn't give and he needed things from us we couldn't give. It was never going to work.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well I'm pretty sure if he had resigned he wouldn't have been able to get his 4 Million bucks out of the University. #Unprofessional
I am not sure what was going on that made him so unhappy, but he was paid a lot of money to coach his team. He bailed on his kids worst of all and put us in a more difficult situation to hire a new coach that we had to be in. I can somewhat understand the business part of it, but to give less than 100% to kids is inexcusable. And to those who say he was giving his all, I was there for his entire tenure and I remarked to my wife after the 4th year he seemed to show no emotion or passion for his team or the game during that season. Up to that time, he was given a standing ovation every time he walked on the court so don't say we didn't support him.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I truly think Grant is a good coach. I just think the fit at Alabama was poor from the beginning and it took a long time for any of us to see it.

Grant isn't a program seller, he's a lot like Saban, but Saban stepped into a program that could sell itself. Saban doesn't have to waste time making appearances at public functions to gain fan support, and that's exactly why he's so successful. It's a perfect marriage.

Alabama basketball needs a coach like Avery Johnson. A cheerleader who's going to spend as much time on fan & program building as he will coaching, at least until the program gets a solid foundation. I think if Grant stepped in at a program that was already established he'd have no trouble finding success. We needed things from him he couldn't give and he needed things from us we couldn't give. It was never going to work.
I agree Saban doesn't have to promote his program, but he does. He goes on ESPN whenever he is given a chance. He does QB' clubs, Red Elephant Clubs, and Crimson Caravan. He does Nick' kids for the community. Grant did zilch. No radio, No TV, No newspaper interviews, and no community involvement that I could see.. Nothing!

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I agree Saban doesn't have to promote his program, but he does. He goes on ESPN whenever he is given a chance. He does QB' clubs, Red Elephant Clubs, and Crimson Caravan. He does Nick' kids for the community. Grant did zilch. No radio, No TV, No newspaper interviews, and no community involvement that I could see.. Nothing!
I think CNS also enjoys doing those things, so there's a big difference there. He goes on ESPN as an analyst on occasion and many think that's what he'll do whenever he eventually retires.

But the fact remains, that's why Grant wasn't successful here. I don't think it had anything to do with his coaching abilities. Injuries & apathy snowballed the negativity into something that he could never recover from. He could coach another decade here and he'd never be successful. It was just a bad fit. That's why I have no ill feelings toward the guy. At the end of the day it was just a bad fit.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I am not sure what was going on that made him so unhappy, but he was paid a lot of money to coach his team. He bailed on his kids worst of all and put us in a more difficult situation to hire a new coach that we had to be in. I can somewhat understand the business part of it, but to give less than 100% to kids is inexcusable. And to those who say he was giving his all, I was there for his entire tenure and I remarked to my wife after the 4th year he seemed to show no emotion or passion for his team or the game during that season. Up to that time, he was given a standing ovation every time he walked on the court so don't say we didn't support him.
This just isn't true. The players and their families loved the man. Loved him. He didn't bail on them.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
This just isn't true. The players and their families loved the man. Loved him. He didn't bail on them.

I dont know how you figure this. He bailed in every sense of the word. Including walking off the court when he did not coach the NIT. Players may have liked him but I dont care if my players like my coach. If they respect him and play hard for him is what matters. They did neither and he inturn showed the same back to them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I dont know how you figure this. He bailed in every sense of the word. Including walking off the court when he did not coach the NIT. Players may have liked him but I dont care if my players like my coach. If they respect him and play hard for him is what matters. They did neither and he inturn showed the same back to them.
The players didn't play hard? Really? If anything, the players' fight and scrappy play is what kept them in most games.

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN

Alabama basketball needs a coach like Avery Johnson. A cheerleader who's going to spend as much time on fan & program building as he will coaching, at least until the program gets a solid foundation. I think if Grant stepped in at a program that was already established he'd have no trouble finding success. We needed things from him he couldn't give and he needed things from us we couldn't give. It was never going to work.[/QUOTE

NO! NO! NO! While I hate to pile on, there are no similarities to Saban. Saban is a dynamic leader who outworks his opponents. CAG was collecting a paycheck.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
A man who loves his players doesn't half step his job. Most kids want a shot at the NBA. He clearly wasn't giving it his all the last 2 years. Anyone who saw his demeanor on the sideline would agree. In the early years he was very animated at the officials and his team. The last 2 years he sat on the bench most of the time. His job was to lead and if you aren't excited to be there it shows to your team and the fans. If he is such a good coach, why didn't someone snap him up when he left Alabama? That speaks volumes.

I do wish him well, but I will always feel he didn't give his full 100% effort here at Alabama. I said many times he was not a good fit.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
A man who loves his players doesn't half step his job. Most kids want a shot at the NBA. He clearly wasn't giving it his all the last 2 years. Anyone who saw his demeanor on the sideline would agree. In the early years he was very animated at the officials and his team. The last 2 years he sat on the bench most of the time. His job was to lead and if you aren't excited to be there it shows to your team and the fans. If he is such a good coach, why didn't someone snap him up when he left Alabama? That speaks volumes.

I do wish him well, but I will always feel he didn't give his full 100% effort here at Alabama. I said many times he was not a good fit.
I guess I should believe a random anonymous internet poster instead of the players themselves. Sorry, I'll do better next time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.