Bill Battle Explains Process of Firing Anthony Grant

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Bill Battle could see the negativity building as Alabama's basketball season took a southern turn. A strong non-conference start was followed by a rough patch in SEC play.

Restless fans were calling for Anthony Grant's head, but Alabama's athletics director wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Appearing on Paul Finebaum's radio and television show Thursday afternoon, Battle explained the process that eventually led to Grant's firing March 15.

Battle said he met with Grant after a 3-5 January in SEC play to stem the unpleasant vibes. Battle suggested making announcement saying Grant would return for next season. Grant said they should hold off on any such proclamation at that point.
Grant wanted to wait? Seems like he wanted out.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Link

Grant wanted to wait? Seems like he wanted out.
Anthony Grant is a very good person. I think he failed and realized that he wasn't going to get it done here after 6 years of trying. My take is that he did not want to fight the inevitable anymore and let the winds of fate take him to his next opportunity. He will find his place and eventually thrive again.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
This is very interesting and makes you wonder how much effort CAG was putting into being successful. Why would a coach not want public confirmation of his job status unless he wanted out?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Late in the season when it was iffy whether or not Grant would be fired, I posted in a thread that I had heard a rumor that might be an indication that Grant knew he was leaving at the end of year. I didn't go into details at that time because it wasn't something that I wanted spread around because I didn't know if it was true or not. Even if it was true it might not have meant anything. The information came to me (second hand) from a former player who had a close connection to the coaching staff under CAG. What I was told then was that Grant had already sold his house and was living in a condo. I don't know if this is true or not and even it if it is true there could be other explanations. However, it fit with everything that I had observed in CAG, that he was unhappy and had no desire to be here. Now this from CBB seems to be another piece of the puzzle.

P.S. I make absolutely NO claims to be any kind of insider.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It seems to confirm the belief that Grant wanted out.
95% of me believes this is the case - based on what I've heard and what I watched. But, there's 5% of me that says, "If he wanted out, why didn't he just quit or resign at the end of the season?" Why would he and Battle both want to attach the "fired" label to Grant?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
95% of me believes this is the case - based on what I've heard and what I watched. But, there's 5% of me that says, "If he wanted out, why didn't he just quit or resign at the end of the season?" Why would he and Battle both want to attach the "fired" label to Grant?
Grant had about 4 million reasons to get fired rather than quit.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If he quits, he gets no buyout. My thought was if he had sold his house and was so unhappy, why did he not go to Battle last year and negotiate a settlement. Instead he made us suffer though the most miserable season I have ever endured.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Also explains why he turned down coaching the NIT games as well, dude was done with a capital D! I don't hold any judgement towards him, is what it is. It had to be tough for everyone and I think we all would listen to our agent saying 4 million, 4 million, 4 million.....

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
When I read that article, my first question is why would Battle even comment on this subject? I thought it was poor taste for him to discuss the intimate details of his firing. None of that did anything to help CAG find another job because, while likely true, Battle basically alludes that CAG quit mid-season. I dont wish any ill-will on CAG at all. I hope he finds peace and success in his life going forward. I expect he will probably take a year off to spend time with his family and re-group after that.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
while transparency is a good thing, i believe some things do not need to be discussed. not sure how anyone gained from this interview.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
The guy quit on the team and program so he could cash a 4 million dollar check. IMO CBB let him off easy with what was said. He had every right to make it known that CAG basically quit and sold himself out for a check. Hopefully any potential school will take notice. I had heard very similiar things to what another poster alluded to about mid season of Grant wanting out. You could see it in his demeanor and how he did not coach the team hard and put any passion into the games. You may be a great person and a good coach. But if you just quit on your team and your program you are scum to me. Not much lower you can go in my book than that. And he had the nerve to tell CBB to hold off on saying he was coming back but yet held his hand out to get his check on his way out the door.

Good riddance!

We now have a coach whom I dont believe would walk out on a court unless he was going 100% to win and never quit.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wow... There was some talks about him not being happy here at Alabama because of some things going on... That's why You probablywon't see him back coaching as HC or assistant this year....

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Also explains why he turned down coaching the NIT games as well, dude was done with a capital D! I don't hold any judgement towards him, is what it is. It had to be tough for everyone and I think we all would listen to our agent saying 4 million, 4 million, 4 million.....
Well I do and I know a LOT of other bball fans that do as well. He didn't handle any of it well. I'm over it though and looking forward to a new Crimson dawn at Coleman.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Late in the season when it was iffy whether or not Grant would be fired, I posted in a thread that I had heard a rumor that might be an indication that Grant knew he was leaving at the end of year. I didn't go into details at that time because it wasn't something that I wanted spread around because I didn't know if it was true or not. Even if it was true it might not have meant anything. The information came to me (second hand) from a former player who had a close connection to the coaching staff under CAG. What I was told then was that Grant had already sold his house and was living in a condo. I don't know if this is true or not and even it if it is true there could be other explanations. However, it fit with everything that I had observed in CAG, that he was unhappy and had no desire to be here. Now this from CBB seems to be another piece of the puzzle.

P.S. I make absolutely NO claims to be any kind of insider.
Thank you Simone...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I really believed and think that he tanked it to be let out. Still do even stronger now. I got called a lot of names for saying that on BOL.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The guy quit on the team and program so he could cash a 4 million dollar check. IMO CBB let him off easy with what was said. He had every right to make it known that CAG basically quit and sold himself out for a check. Hopefully any potential school will take notice. I had heard very similiar things to what another poster alluded to about mid season of Grant wanting out. You could see it in his demeanor and how he did not coach the team hard and put any passion into the games. You may be a great person and a good coach. But if you just quit on your team and your program you are scum to me. Not much lower you can go in my book than that. And he had the nerve to tell CBB to hold off on saying he was coming back but yet held his hand out to get his check on his way out the door.

Good riddance!

We now have a coach whom I dont believe would walk out on a court unless he was going 100% to win and never quit.
This, without the scum parts. Battle has every right to be ticked after paying him $4 million dollars to pace by the bench. He wasted university time, funds, and, most importantly, a year of these young men's lives by just going through the motions. The truth needed to be out there. It seems to have worked out with the hiring, but can you imagine if it hadn't?

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
The coaching situation was a hot topic in the family household the last 2 seasons. I argued he needed to go last year and my own mother would argue that he should get another year. Commandment #5 kept popping into my head, so I would politely accept her opinion. Finally, at mid season, she asked me what did I think was going to happen. I told her I thought CAG was gone and that the injuries just exposed him, that he would quietly admit he was in over his head. There are 2 types of head coaches in College basketball, the X's and O's coaches who are great tacticians on game days, and the "talent" coaches who can recruit the best team of players and let them do what they do best together. CAG wasn't strong in either of those categories and we were just going to flounder if they didn't make a change.

And I do know 1 thing for certain. Its kind of funny that I find myself checking the Basketball Board more than the Football Board during Spring Training...... This hire makes me excited for next season and I hope in 3 years CAJ is making Alabama basketball a national headline during March Madness....if not sooner :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.