College football conference title game restrictions to be relaxed by 2016

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Legislation allowing for the deregulation of conference championship games is now expected to be passed by 2016, CBSSports.com has learned.

The move would directly impact the Big 12 and ACC, which developed the legislation. The Big 12, which is the only Power Five league without a championship game, is merely seeking the option of staging such a contest with 10 teams. The ACC's ultimate intentions with a 14-team league in football, one which already holds a championship game, are not clear.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nship-game-restrictions-to-be-relaxed-by-2016

Well, isn't this interesting. The squeaky wheel gets the grease (the whiney cry baby get the pacifier). I wonder what the other conferences will do now with their playoffs.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly. Let's say all SEC-E teams had 3 losses or more, and the highest ranked team will be (for arguements sake) #21 Mizzou. #4 Alabama has 1 loss, and #8 miss state has 1 loss, everyone else has 2 or more. According to this deregulation,#4 Alabama could rematch #8 Miss State in Atl for the conference championship, and the SEC-E champ stays home?

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I've always been in favor of the 2 best teams from the conference playing in the title game. It never really made sense to me why they have to do it by divisions. Bama would have been in the SECCG in 2011 and 2013 if the 2 best teams played each other.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly. Let's say all SEC-E teams had 3 losses or more, and the highest ranked team will be (for arguements sake) #21 Mizzou. #4 Alabama has 1 loss, and #8 miss state has 1 loss, everyone else has 2 or more. According to this deregulation,#4 Alabama could rematch #8 Miss State in Atl for the conference championship, and the SEC-E champ stays home?
The only conference this legislation would drastically affect would be the Big 12.

If you were to see other Power 5 conferences take advantage of this legislation, I think that what you would be more likely to see would be an abandoning of the divisions.

I don't think this approach would be of much benefit from a competition or ranking perspective - with a potential, relatively minor benefit in the area of scheduling - to either the SEC or Pac 12 since both conferences typically have fairly balanced divisions which results in two highly ranked, quality teams facing off in the conference title tilt. There was a recent exception to this in the Pac 12 but the only reason that occurred was because the best team in one division, USC, was ineligible. Where it could be of some benefit, especially to the SEC, is in making it possible - through scheduling changes from abandoning the divisions - to have its teams keep an 8-game Conference slate while playing their non-permanent SEC opponents more often.

Each team would have, say, four or five permanent SEC opponents and the other three or four SEC games would rotate through the rest of the conference. So, Alabama could play Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State every year - adding in Arkansas or LSU if using five permanent opponents - and rotate through the rest. Then, at the conclusion of the regular season, some standard method or metric would be used to match up the best two teams in the conference for the SEC Championship Game - regardless of whether or not those teams have already played each other.

I do, however, think that this approach might benefit especially the ACC and perhaps the Big Ten since both of those conferences are typically top-heavy with only two or three highly ranked, quality teams left standing at the end of the regular season and, often, those teams are in the same division leaving a lackluster match-up in the conference title game. In two of the past three seasons, for example, Florida State has squared off against an unranked opponent and a 20th ranked opponent in the ACC Championship Game when there was a Top-10 or Top-15 team in their own division that they could have faced off with under this scenario.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
“I think there's some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest-ranked play in postseason,” said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the new NCAA Football Oversight Committee. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

I can see a lot of finger pointing in the future. If we think SOS was controversial, just wait till there are five different conf. championship formats.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
“I think there's some belief that ACC would play three divisions, have two highest-ranked play in postseason,” said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the new NCAA Football Oversight Committee. “Really, nobody cares how you determine your champion. It should be a conference-level decision.

I can see a lot of finger pointing in the future. If we think SOS was controversial, just wait till there are five different conf. championship formats.
With the way the CFP is structured, I really don't think this would be an issue. By allowing the Big 12 to have a Conference Championship Game, all of the Power 5 conferences are on equal footing in terms of the number of games played by their Conference Champion, the number of bye weeks during the regular season, and the probability of facing a highly ranked - or at least ranked - team in their final game of the season. Where the standing between the conferences differentiates is in the overall quality of the individual conferences and the out-of-conference schedules of each of the Conference Champions.

And, since we've already seen that the CFP committee seems to place a significantly higher priority on the quality of teams' OOC schedules and their performance against all of the quality teams on their schedule as compared to just the total number of wins and perhaps even the fact that they are a Conference Champion, it's far more likely that a Conference Champion with only one loss who had a significantly easier conference and especially OOC slate would be "punished" for that easy slate by being left out in favor of a two-loss Conference Champion who played a significantly tougher schedule.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not in favor of this because the Big 12 should have to come by a championship game like everyone else did. If a conference never needed 12 teams to create a title game, then most of the expansion never would have taken place. In any event, there are other reasons to favor deregulation and apparently other conferences are interested.

I'm not a fan of scrapping the divisional set up, but uafan4life highlights the reason it is likely to happen. I can see the SEC doing away with the divisions in order to create a scheduling rotation that allows teams to play every other team more often. There would have to be a lot of thought to the rules, though. You could end up with 3 or more teams tied for first or second, who didn't play one another.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I'm in favor of doing away with the divisions. We need the best two teams playing in the SEC Championship Game. Who here wouldn't have wanted to see an Alabama/Auburn rematch in 2013?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

If he thinks it should ONLY be a conference level decision then his naivety is only surpassed by his stupidity. If the committee is going to place a value on conference championship then they have every right to value one higher than another based on how they are selected - which is obviously what they did in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The SEC has absolute control over how it schedules its team, how it divides them, or doesn't, and how it determines its champion. This is a non issue for the SEC. If you want to go meddle in the BIGXII and ACC's business then have at it. Personally I don't care how the other conferences do it unless they come up with a format better than what the SEC currently has.

As for "thanking the playoff" that should actually read, Thanks Roy Kramer and the SEC. If your being honest, this whole thing began with us in 1992.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm in favor of doing away with the divisions. We need the best two teams playing in the SEC Championship Game. Who here wouldn't have wanted to see an Alabama/Auburn rematch in 2013?
In the BCSNC I wouldve like to it, but the SEC Championship I wouldnt. As much as i hate Auburn fans gloating, them gloating for a whole month only to be silenced in a matter of 60 minutes, and seeing us carry the hardware home is a lot more enjoyable than them gloating for a week. imo

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Doing away with divisions is a double edged sword. On one hand it prevents you from traveling to far places (exception is Mizzou) and makes it easy to determine a championship representanitive (7 teams vs 14 teams); but on the other hand, they limit the frequency of times playing other schools in the opposite division and can sometimes make a lopsided championship game.

I tend to like divisions because they make it easier to determine if you are in or not. If we go top two then there is a possiblity that we would need 10 games vs SEC opponets to determine the top 2 unless we drop two teams.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Who here wouldn't have wanted to see an Alabama/Auburn rematch in 2013?
Not me! I can barley stomach losing to those cow lovers once a year, just kill me now if by some chance it were to happen twice in a year.

Would you've wanted to see it in 2014 also?
Exactly, no way would I have wanted to play them again a week later after that beat down. Most of the time, nothing good comes from a rematch, just ask LSU.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If you want to go meddle in the BIGXII and ACC's business then have at it.
The rules are pretty clear, and they are rules that every conference has had to follow for a very long time. The SEC had to follow these rules when they stood alone, and now that it's not so convenient, and that people basically want to turn the conference championship game into the first round of the playoffs, the other conferences get to change the rules.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For the Big 12 case IDK if they should do divisions or not. Cuz either way you slice it (North- South or East-West) the divisions would Be the same

North or East
*ISU
*WV
*KU
*KSU
*OKie Light
South or West
*OU
*Texas
*TTU
*TCU
*Baylor
Its very lopsided. So I think they have an arguement for top 2, but im still against the idea due to they dont have 12 teams. The ACC has no arguement whatsoever.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If he thinks it should ONLY be a conference level decision then his naivety is only surpassed by his stupidity. If the committee is going to place a value on conference championship then they have every right to value one higher than another based on how they are selected - which is obviously what they did in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is why there will be more finger pointing. The _________ (insert which conf. gets left out) will whine to the end of time how the _________ championship game format is unfair and ESPN biased.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The rules are pretty clear, and they are rules that every conference has had to follow for a very long time. The SEC had to follow these rules when they stood alone, and now that it's not so convenient, and that people basically want to turn the conference championship game into the first round of the playoffs, the other conferences get to change the rules.
This is my problem with so many of the complaints nowadays. Take also LSU being so whiny about having to play Florida every season while we get off light by playing Tennessee. They weren't complaining when Tennessee was a juggernaut every year during the 90s and early 2000s.

For the Big 12 case IDK if they should do divisions or not. Cuz either way you slice it (North- South or East-West) the divisions would Be the same

North or East
*ISU
*WV
*KU
*KSU
*OKie Light
South or West
*OU
*Texas
*TTU
*TCU
*Baylor
Its very lopsided. So I think they have an arguement for top 2, but im still against the idea due to they dont have 12 teams. The ACC has no arguement whatsoever.
The Big 12 would need to go some other route besides geography. Basically, stick Texas and Oklahoma in different divisions much like the ACC did with Florida State and Miami. You keep the annual game, and then if you get lucky you get a rematch for the conference title. It's not yet worked out for the ACC, though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.