College football conference title game restrictions to be relaxed by 2016

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Big 12 would need to go some other route besides geography. Basically, stick Texas and Oklahoma in different divisions much like the ACC did with Florida State and Miami. You keep the annual game, and then if you get lucky you get a rematch for the conference title. It's not yet worked out for the ACC, though.
The only problem with that is that there is noone that could challenge OU in the North. From 2006 to 2010 Nebraska and Mizzou ran rampant in the North because you cant count on KSU always having a formidable team to challenge the top dogs. Its like Wisconsin today in the Big 10, no one can challenge them unless Nebraska comes back. I feel that someone should force ND's hand to join a power 5 and the easy destination right now would be the Big 12 and force them and OU to be in the same division.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The only problem with that is that there is noone that could challenge OU in the North. From 2006 to 2010 Nebraska and Mizzou ran rampant in the North because you cant count on KSU always having a formidable team to challenge the top dogs. Its like Wisconsin today in the Big 10, no one can challenge them unless Nebraska comes back. I feel that someone should force ND's hand to join a power 5 and the easy destination right now would be the Big 12 and force them and OU to be in the same division.
ND has cast their lot with the ACC.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well, most years, no one would challenge Texas in the South either. The point is, your championship game ought to be competitive most years. What hurt the old Big 12 was Nebraska's demise. That left the North way behind the South from a competitive standpoint. Yeah a Missouri would have a great season, but them promptly get destroyed by Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship.

ND has cast their lot with the ACC.
If events ever force Notre Dame to join a conference in football, they will have their pick. Every single power 5 league would take them in a heartbeat - including the SEC.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I'd love to see the SEC lose the divisons and go to 3 permanent opponents and rotate the other 12 6&6. Set up the permanent opponents as follows:

Alabama: AU, UT & LSU
Auburn: Alabama, UF & UGA
aTm: LSU, SC & Arky
Arky: MIZ, aTm, & Ole ....
Ole ....: Vandy, Miss St & Arky
LSU: aTm, BAMA & UGA
Miss St: Ole ...., KY & Vandy
UF: UGA, AU & TN
UGA: AU, UF, & LSU
TN: AL, UGA & UF
KY: Miss St, SC & MIZ
MIZ: Arky, SC & KY
SC: MIZ, aTm & KY
Vandy: TN, OLE .... & Miss St

In the case of BAMA, split the other 10:

UF.
Vandy
Ole ....
aTm
Arky

AND

UGA
KY
MISS ST
MIZ
SC

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'd love to see the SEC lose the divisons and go to 3 permanent opponents and rotate the other 12 6&6. Set up the permanent opponents as follows:

Ole miss and lsu would be mad that they couldn't keep their rivalry but us an Tennessee can

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still prefer 10 team conferences, everybody plays everybody. 9 conference games, 3 out of conference games and no conference championship game. Selection committee or some format decides the top 8 teams to enter the playoff. The two finalists still only play 15 games. I have never been a fan of conference championship games. ND ain't going to join a conference until the NCAA threatens to close down its football program.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I agree about dropping the divisions and then the two top teams play every year. Also if the SEC went to 3 permanent rivals and 10 rotating rivals...then every SEC team would play every other SEC team at least twice every 4 years.
My permanent rivals (somewhat based on history) would be:
Alabama-----AU, UT, Vandy
Arky---------A&M, Mizzu, Kentucky
AU-----------Bama, UGA, Florida
UGA---------AU, Florida, SC
Kentucky---UT, Mizzu, Arky
LSU---------A&M, Miss, MSU
Miss--------LSU, MSU, Vandy
MSU--------LSU, A&M, Miss
Mizzu-------Arky, Kentucky, SC
SC----------Florida, UGA, Mizzu
UT----------Bama, Kentucky, Vandy
A&M--------Arky, LSU, MSU
Vandy------Bama, Miss, UT

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The SEC could go to nine conference games, let every team have 5 permanent rivals, and the other 8 would rotate. We would play the rotating 8 at least every other year. I think it would be good for the conference if Alabama got to play Georgia and Florida on a more regular basis.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The SEC could go to nine conference games, let every team have 5 permanent rivals, and the other 8 would rotate. We would play the rotating 8 at least every other year. I think it would be good for the conference if Alabama got to play Georgia and Florida on a more regular basis.
Great idea if they would just go to nine conference games (I believe **** will freeze over first) and if the rotation is just as easy done as said. You are looking at one team. They would be dealing with fourteen teams.

The nine game thingy involves taking a week, or combination of weeks, when all 14 stadiums are full and making it a week, or combination of weeks, with 7 full stadiums and 7 empty stadiums. Not any $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in those empty stadiums. :biggrin:

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly. Let's say all SEC-E teams had 3 losses or more, and the highest ranked team will be (for arguements sake) #21 Mizzou. #4 Alabama has 1 loss, and #8 miss state has 1 loss, everyone else has 2 or more. According to this deregulation,#4 Alabama could rematch #8 Miss State in Atl for the conference championship, and the SEC-E champ stays home?
Most likely would not be any divisions. Like basketball.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm in favor of doing away with the divisions. We need the best two teams playing in the SEC Championship Game. Who here wouldn't have wanted to see an Alabama/Auburn rematch in 2013?
Personally, I like the divisions because we rarely see a rematch. I'm not a big fan of rematches in college football. You have to be ready to go when you get your first opportunity and not count on getting a second chance. Of course, that's just me.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The rules are pretty clear, and they are rules that every conference has had to follow for a very long time. The SEC had to follow these rules when they stood alone, and now that it's not so convenient, and that people basically want to turn the conference championship game into the first round of the playoffs, the other conferences get to change the rules.
I get your point, only this was a very silly rule that should've been done away with years ago. The 12-team limit was put in place to keep major conferences from particating, the thinking of the ncaa being that no major D1 conferences would ever go to 12 teams. The SEC exploited this loophole, added 2 teams, and got a CG. So the SEC met the letter of the rule but not the intent of the rule. Clever on Kramer's part, but does not justify keeping a silly rule in place 25 years later.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I get your point, only this was a very silly rule that should've been done away with years ago. The 12-team limit was put in place to keep major conferences from particating, the thinking of the ncaa being that no major D1 conferences would ever go to 12 teams. The SEC exploited this loophole, added 2 teams, and got a CG. So the SEC met the letter of the rule but not the intent of the rule. Clever on Kramer's part, but does not justify keeping a silly rule in place 25 years later.
I am not taking issue with what you said. It is just that when you have played a round robin then you have your champion, so it is silly of the Big 12 to want a playoff that will be a rematch. Get 12 teams -- or get out. I can't believe the other conferences are O.K. with this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.