Appears Ricky Tarrant is Transferring

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Me too Cajun. Retin has pro potential. Needs to shoot a little better.
Absolutely agree. I always could never figure out why he wasn't playing more. He just needs experience. I think CAJ could teach him to be a great PG. He needs to learn to distribute is all. I personally think he has pro potential. I think Retin will stay. He will be a senior next year and he'd have to sit out a year that is unless he has graduated which may be the case. I suspect Ricky Tarrant has or will graduate in May since this is his 4th year of school. Kessens and Hale both would be smart to stay put. CAJ will get them ready for pro ball. Not 100% sure he would want Kessens though. He needs to toughen up.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Absolutely agree. I always could never figure out why he wasn't playing more. He just needs experience. I think CAJ could teach him to be a great PG. He needs to learn to distribute is all. I personally think he has pro potential. I think Retin will stay. He will be a senior next year and he'd have to sit out a year that is unless he has graduated which may be the case. I suspect Ricky Tarrant has or will graduate in May since this is his 4th year of school. Kessens and Hale both would be smart to stay put. CAJ will get them ready for pro ball. Not 100% sure he would want Kessens though. He needs to toughen up.
Agreed on Retin. He is definitely a great athlete in the mold of some of our players in the Wimp era. If he gets his jump shooting down combined with how quick off the dribble and fast to the hole he is he will be a NBA player. I agree also on Kessens. Has good skills but has to get a lot stronger and get tougher. I hope the first thing Avery said to him was "see you in the weight room".

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
while i hate to see anyone leave the program, i can understand if Tarrant thought a different situation would be best for him. to spin a phrase everyone loves to throw around on here.... since we shopped and found a new coach, he should be allowed to shop and find another school, if that's what he wants. i wish nothing but the best for him. not sure about the talk on Kessens, though. he is still a member of our team and the comment about not wanting him just doesn't jive with me.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I sincerely hope we can keep both Justin and Retin. Both of those young men can flat out play basketball.
Rickey, well, I think he was an outstanding player as well. Injuries bit him a bit, but we were a much better team when he was knocking down shots. Very sorry to lose him.
I'm sure the kid from Theodore is outstanding, but we don't need to be promising starting positions to anybody.
It's a rebuilding job, and it's going to be bigger than most realize.
I think we'll have an opportunity to be pretty darn special in about three years. A really outstanding team!
I'll hope for sooner, but realistically, in my opinion, it's going to take that long and possibly a little longer.
You have to overcome the attrition before you can improve the position :)
sip

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Kinda surprised since he will have to graduate or move down a level to be immediately eligible.

tide13

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2002
Birmingham
Not to be cruel to the guys mentioned in the thread, but none are NBA-calibur talents. I love Retin, and he's a terrific athlete, but I'd just like to see him become a consistent college player. I'm hoping we are now in a position to recruit NBA-level talent, but we aren't there yet...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
while i hate to see anyone leave the program, i can understand if Tarrant thought a different situation would be best for him. to spin a phrase everyone loves to throw around on here.... since we shopped and found a new coach, he should be allowed to shop and find another school, if that's what he wants. i wish nothing but the best for him. not sure about the talk on Kessens, though. he is still a member of our team and the comment about not wanting him just doesn't jive with me.
Who said we don't want Kessens? We NEED him. And Taylor, and Hale . . . .

We are far from loaded with size, rebounding, etc.

lorange

1st Team
Jan 21, 2005
This really hurts. I had hoped that we would be competitive next year and looked to our guards as our strength. Losing another senior is bad. Freshmen usually take most of their first year getting their feet on the ground. I expected some attrition, but this comes as a shock. Hopefully we can sign a quality guard and a big who can block out and rebound.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not to be cruel to the guys mentioned in the thread, but none are NBA-calibur talents. I love Retin, and he's a terrific athlete, but I'd just like to see him become a consistent college player. I'm hoping we are now in a position to recruit NBA-level talent, but we aren't there yet...
Yea, this is my thought as well except we may be in a better position than you think. No inside info only a hunch I have from several comments AJ has made that started shortly after he landed at the airport in Tuscaloosa.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I would actually put HAle as the one kid on the team who could crack an NBA roster (as backup). Despite his "sophmore slump" of shooting last year, he has an NBA body to play the 2 or 3

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Who said we don't want Kessens? We NEED him. And Taylor, and Hale . . . .

We are far from loaded with size, rebounding, etc.
don't know how to quote multiple people.... but my statement was in regards to the prior post from Rama Jama: "Not 100% sure he would want Kessens though." i just didn't take the time to include the quote with my reply. talk about weaknesses. talk about what areas that need to improve. but don't talk about not wanting someone who is on the team.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The below comments from another Bama board indicate Ricky may have been influenced for awhile by someone to make this decision...

Everyone is pretty hacked off about the Tarrant situation.He is a big loss and seemed to make a poor decision to leave and this is bad for both sides.The big deal is concern of a Division 1 coach in constant contact with Tarrant over the last few months encouraging him to transfer.We will see if a story develops on this.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The below comments from another Bama board indicate Ricky may have been influenced for awhile by someone to make this decision...
Let's all give Ricky our support in his dogged pursuit of a higher education.

From a distance, this is the behavior reminiscent of the kid with the good basketball and the best backyard goal who takes the ball and goes inside if he can't be the star. Who says we don't attract one-and-done's?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's all give Ricky our support in his dogged pursuit of a higher education.

From a distance, this is the behavior reminiscent of the kid with the good basketball and the best backyard goal who takes the ball and goes inside if he can't be the star. Who says we don't attract one-and-done's?
I don't have a problem with a player transferring. That's become the norm in college basketball. However, I do have a problem with coaches contacting a player while he is still on another program's roster.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I don't have a problem with a player transferring. That's become the norm in college basketball. However, I do have a problem with coaches contacting a player while he is still on another program's roster.
This right here. College basketball is infected with Trooper Taylors.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
RTR,

For me, two transfers in two years is a different situation entirely.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
RTR,

For me, two transfers in two years is a different situation entirely.
The number of transfers don't bother me because college basketball players like to move around. My issue comes with the belief a coach was talking to him while still on scholarship at Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.