In Puerto Rico: Poor English skills = Social Security disability

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
The inspector general noted that a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico could be considered “unskilled” under current Social Security standards.

I don't see how you could be a nurse in PR and not speak Spanish. English, on the other hand, is probably more of a luxury than a necessity.

Same probably goes for places like Miami, parts of TX, CA, etc.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
By the way, the person that showed me this is Puerto Rican. Started speaking Spanish and saying he wanted his. We laughed. He's the same one who told me about getting 10% extra on your military disability for putting down that you had an ED issue that I posted in another thread.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Before I moved from Orlando back to Mobile in 2007, the closest grocery store to my condo was a Walmart neighborhood center. It was not at all unusual for me to go there and never hear a word of English until I got to the check-out. And before I retired from the fire deparment the station I primarily worked out of was in an area heavily populated with Hispanics. A lot of our first aid calls were to homes with 2-3 generations of a family and the only ones who spoke any English were the school aged children who had to be our interpreters. It makes it pretty challenging to try to administer first aid through pre-teen aged children. I retired in 1990, by now I'm sure every unit has at least one person that is fluent in Spanish.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I have a southern dialect and often speak to quickly for others to grasp my thoughts. Many believe this labels me a redneck. Do I qualify?

Don't scoff at my question, this isn't any more absurd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.