Dr Lou out at ESPN

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Guess I'm in the minority here but I have always enjoyed Coach Holtz's perspectives - not only those pertaining to the game itself but also toward life.

I will miss him and wish him all the best wherever he ends up. Thanks Coach!

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I really enjoyed "College Football Final" with Rece, Holtz, and May. It was the end to my Saturday. Sure I wondered out loud about Lou's continence, but that was part of what made the show appointment viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'll miss Holtz / May. Reminded me of the SNL spoofs of James Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander's debates on 60 Minutes. Won't miss Holtz alone much.

Since this is diverging to Danielson / Lundquist, I'll throw my two cents in:

Danielson -- like him a lot. I always learn something about the game from him. I don't see the bias others do. I see objective criticism, because he does it to everybody.

Lundquist -- not the greatest announcer, and he does mangle names. But I don't think there's any agenda there. He kind of reminds me of the likeable, but slightly tipsy, uncle at a family holiday dinner.

The Kig

May 1, 2014
Thufferin Thucotash! Hope this was Lou's doing, as has been referenced. Several needed to go way before Lou...

They have had to prop "Weekend-at-Bernie's" Corso up since before the stroke. Verne can barely remember which teams are playing. All were great in their time... but that time has past.

It's painful, sorta like watching an athlete stick around for 1-2 seasons longer than they should.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Chris Schenkel and Keith Jackson are in my Hall of Fame with Keith at the very top. I also like Al Michaels. Verne is pretty good also.

Dr. Lou is in my Hall of Shame!
Loved Schenkel and Wilkinson
Loved Keith and Frank Broyles
Keith and Griese were pretty good as well
Love Kessler and Blackledge
Love Musburger and Herbie
Not big on Fowler/Herbie for some reason. Not sure why.
Verne and Gary are really good though. The one thing Verne excels at in my opinion is that he'll let the play unfold with very little play by play. He realizes that we're watching it on television. So rather than boring us with "He's at the 35-40-45 he simply makes suttle comments that ad to the play.
A great example would be Blake Sims brilliant TD run against Florida(I believe). Verne's entire play call was basically.."Sim's....my goodness......my goodness....MYYYYY Goodness...Touchdown Alabama""....He was referring to the moves Blake made but he made it more exciting by his "Non play by play"..
There's an art to that that takes many years to develop.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I Kinda like ole Lou... Saw him speak when I was at Morgan Stanley, he was a pretty damn good motivational speaker. Not as good as Elko but, close.....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I suspect Lou Holtz has worn dentures since he was young, thus he has a lot of bone loss in his maxilla and mandible necessitating even larger dentures. The "speech impediment" is caused by the prosthesis.

Odds are this same "speech impediment" will affect some of the previous posters. Shug Jordan had the same issue.

Karma loves the callous.

I dislike all the Notre Dame homerism from Lou. Other than that, I thought he did a fine job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.