Dr Lou out at ESPN

CrimsonPassion

1st Team
Jun 6, 2009
Attalla, AL
Did Lou ever beat Coach Bryant , for that matter did he ever beat Bama?
Lou has a record of 3-3 against Bama. While head coach at Arkansas, he lost to Bear in the 1980 Sugar Bowl. While head coach at Notre Dame, he lost to us in 1986 and beat us in 1987. While head coach at South Carolina, he lost to us in 2000 and beat us in 2001 and 2004. Hope that helps.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll say this, while I didn't care for him that much in his role at ESPN, I did hear him speak at a fund raiser a few years ago and, despite his speech problems, he was VERY entertaining.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'll miss Holtz / May. Reminded me of the SNL spoofs of James Kilpatrick and Shana Alexander's debates on 60 Minutes. Won't miss Holtz alone much.

Since this is diverging to Danielson / Lundquist, I'll throw my two cents in:

Danielson -- like him a lot. I always learn something about the game from him. I don't see the bias others do. I see objective criticism, because he does it to everybody.

Lundquist -- not the greatest announcer, and he does mangle names. But I don't think there's any agenda there. He kind of reminds me of the likeable, but slightly tipsy, uncle at a family holiday dinner.
I totally agree on Danielson and Stumblequist.

B

BroadwayJoe777

Why can't you opening posters paste the article? Is that too much to ask?

B

BroadwayJoe777

It's kind of against TideFans policy. Why can't you read the rules? Is that too much to ask? :biggrin2:

Nothin' but love for ya.
Why can't you stop the sarcasm? Deal?
Nothin' but love for ya...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Why can't you opening posters paste the article? Is that too much to ask?
I'd think you had been here long enough to know we respect copyright, which your request is a direct violation of.

But just in case: the reason the OP didn't copy-n-paste the article is because we respect copyright, which your request is a direct violation of.

B

BroadwayJoe777

I'd think you had been here long enough to know we respect copyright, which your request is a direct violation of.

But just in case: the reason the OP didn't copy-n-paste the article is because we respect copyright, which your request is a direct violation of.
Looks like I need to brush up ca...Apologies...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That show was a three-legged stool. There was no plug 'n play possibility. It required Rece's laid back moderating, May's cool logic and Holtz's brash Tomfoolery. They'll use May somewhere. He's too valuable. There sessions, like most programs on ESPN, their sessions were loosely scripted, with their general positions laid out in advance. (Rece actually told me this.) Once, May and Holtz turned on Rece. (They were in the simulated football field they used sometimes.) They accused him, in fun of course, of never having played the game. (Holtz played LB at Kent St., sharing an alma mater with CNS.) Rece just leaned back at the podium and finally said that his job was to stand up there every week, trying to make them look good. Then all dissolved in laughter...

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
AS much as I hated Lou's speech impediment I think I'll miss him. Heck I'm sure I'll miss the back and forth between him and Mark.

He may have made a good replacement for Corso.

None of the filler ESPN put on is what draws me to their channel. It's always been about the games and will remain so for me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.