Question: Question about the team this year

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I thought we could get back on track talking about WRs and RBs here on this thread. I have few things I'm concerned about and I'm hoping some of you guys could answer it for me.

Okay, I understand this coming fall, it's looking like we'll have Chris Black, Robert Foster, Stewart, and Kief at the moment. Ridley is coming in the summer and he has a chance to crack the lineup,
but for the moment we'll go with the current lineup.
What's going on with Chris Black? He was hot early in the spring and kinda disappeared throughout the spring. Looking at the stats from the previous scrimmage, Falkins, Foster and Barrineau had couple of catches. By the way, Barrineau has really played well this spring. He should be interesting to watch over the next few months.
Do you think Deionte Thompson will stick to wR? If so, Would he redshirt this year? What's going on with Stewart?

Will Drake be the " 4th" receiver" with Henry on the field? When Alabama goes Empty formation, Who will be the RB in the package? Henry? Drake?
How is Flower doing in the practice? We haven't heard much about him.
Last but least, I wish I knew which Qbs targeted their favorite receivers...

On Secondary, I don't think we'll have lot of issues like we had last year. Between Jones, Humphrey and Brown... We could be okay. We need Humphrey to get his feet wet this year do same thing Tony Brown did, because he has to be ready to step in next year. We'll definitely will be okay. We might struggle little early on.. but we'll figure it out. Slyve shouldnt' be count out... I'm hoping we'll do some kind of rotation systems... to throw new looks on defense... who knows.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My understanding is that the university doesn't release full stats on the scrimmages so we don't really know how well Chris Black did or didn't do (unless they gave out stats on him and I missed reading them). I do agree that he seems way overdue for a breakout year..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
That was my understanding as well... I was just wondering. Should be interesting this fall.
My understanding is that the university doesn't release full stats on the scrimmages so we don't really know how well Chris Black did or didn't do (unless they gave out stats on him and I missed reading them). I do agree that he seems way overdue for a breakout year..

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I thought we could get back on track talking about WRs and RBs here on this thread. I have few things I'm concerned about and I'm hoping some of you guys could answer it for me.

Okay, I understand this coming fall, it's looking like we'll have Chris Black, Robert Foster, Stewart, and Kief at the moment. Ridley is coming in the summer and he has a chance to crack the lineup,
What's going on with Chris Black? He was hot early in the spring and kinda disappeared throughout the spring. Looking at the stats from the previous scrimmage, Falkins, Foster and Barrineau had couple of catches. By the way, Barrineau has really played well this spring. He should be interesting to watch over the next few months.
Do you think Deionte Thompson will stick to wR? If so, Would he redshirt this year? What's going on with Stewart?

Will Drake be the " 4th" receiver" with Henry on the field? When Alabama goes Empty formation, Who will be the RB in the package? Henry? Drake?

On Secondary, I don't think we'll have lot of issues like we had last year. Between Jones, Humphrey and Brown... We could be okay. We need Humphrey to get his feet wet this year do same thing Tony Brown did, because he has to be ready to step in next year. We'll definitely will be okay. We might struggle little early on.. but we'll figure it out. Slyve shouldnt' be count out... I'm hoping we'll do some kind of rotation systems... to throw new looks on defense... who knows.
we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions about Slyve based on his limited work last year in the first game. He was after all going against the second best receiver in all of college in that game, and that receiver lit EVERYONE up. I do think Brown/jackson are better options though. I am much. much more concerned about S than corner though. even without Geno goofing up, we are razor thin at S and in the past we have played a lot of safety types in our alignments against spread offenses and read-option type teams so getting solid players at these spots is critical.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
SLyve should be considered for the mix at CB. Brown is pretty good, but needs to work on tackling. We have Ronnie Harrison, Hootie Jones, Geno Smith, Jabriel Washington, Levi Wallace, Eddie Jackson. We do have Deionte Thompson who moved to WR for the spring, but it’s not promised just yet. I wouldn’t say we’re razor thin back there, but I think the boost of Eddie Jackson solidified the Safety position…Eddie Jackson was constantly getting burned several times in scrimmages this spring. His move to Safety has been anticpated for a while. I think your concerns are legit because I’m worried about the deep ball protections, but we’ll see how they are this upcoming spring game. Harrison has looked real good this past spring.. and Smith is coming along well.

My question for you is this: Why do you think Brown/Jackson is the best option? Cyrus Jones has performed well last year for the most part. I’m not sure if I want that combo of Brown/Jackson because Lack of experience on Brown and Jackson getting beat on deep balls isnt’ ideal right now. I do think Tony is a lockdown defender, just need more experience.

we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions about Slyve based on his limited work last year in the first game. He was after all going against the second best receiver in all of college in that game, and that receiver lit EVERYONE up. I do think Brown/jackson are better options though. I am much. much more concerned about S than corner though. even without Geno goofing up, we are razor thin at S and in the past we have played a lot of safety types in our alignments against spread offenses and read-option type teams so getting solid players at these spots is critical.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
SLyve should be considered for the mix at CB. Brown is pretty good, but needs to work on tackling. We have Ronnie Harrison, Hootie Jones, Geno Smith, Jabriel Washington, Levi Wallace, Eddie Jackson. We do have Deionte Thompson who moved to WR for the spring, but it’s not promised just yet. I wouldn’t say we’re razor thin back there, but I think the boost of Eddie Jackson solidified the Safety position…Eddie Jackson was constantly getting burned several times in scrimmages this spring. His move to Safety has been anticpated for a while. I think your concerns are legit because I’m worried about the deep ball protections, but we’ll see how they are this upcoming spring game. Harrison has looked real good this past spring.. and Smith is coming along well.

My question for you is this: Why do you think Brown/Jackson is the best option? Cyrus Jones has performed well last year for the most part. I’m not sure if I want that combo of Brown/Jackson because Lack of experience on Brown and Jackson getting beat on deep balls isnt’ ideal right now. I do think Tony is a lockdown defender, just need more experience.
Is Levi Wallace a walk on? I haven't heard of him before..

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I expected when we got both Brown and Humphrey that after a year of getting acclimated to the system, we'd have two lockdown corners for a couple of years. I expected them both to get more PT last year too. There were games in which they might have even been better with their speed than the starters. I'm talking about all those instances where the QB scrambled around and threw a desperation pass that seemed to be completed every time.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Spring stats are completely useless unless you know who they came against. Black could have been going against our best corners while others with more stats could have been going against a walk-on. We will get some indication Saturday but even seeing it with your eyes won't help much. Three years ago everyone was buzzing about Black and nobody was talking about some freshman named Cooper who had zero catches. Sims looked like utter crap last spring and had a pretty impressive year overall. If you actually analyse film you might see more. Cooper three years ago was buzzing by defenders and had a gorgeous over the shoulder touchdown grab that was called back due to a penalty.

But back to your original question.

We have some talent at receiver but no real experience. This pretty much translates to a so-so season except that Kiffen always finds a way to make honey out of crap when it come to the passing game so I'm guessing he will figure out a way to move the ball.

At DB we had a really bad year last year but we had six guys who are with us now that got big Game experience. While I expect there is much work to do here we have seen it over and over again that in the Saban defence there is no substitute for experience. Having those six guys return even if they had bad years last year will pay off this season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Stewart
Sims
Kief
Foster
Falkins
Black

Coming in:
Ridley
Charlot

That doesn't count anyone that could move over or be moved in motion from another spot to play it as well like Drake and even possibly Ronnie Clark and even our TE's like O.J. Howard.

As for DB's, I agree we REALLY need Marlon Humphrey to step up and get some playing time this year. Hopefully the competition will push folks like Cyrus Jones and Sylve. Hopefully Harrison, Hootie and Eddie prove to work well as our last resort as well.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

agree that jones is clearly the best cb we have. The brown/Jackson comment was for the as leading the competition for the other cb slot.

as for s, Wallace is a walk on, Harrison and Thompson are tf, which we've never started at s, not even baron, Vinnie or haha. Jones only got a handful of snaps last year on d. J Washington played some in dime, but honestly was a big liability back there. You didn't mention mo smith, but he was the same as j Washington, maybe worse. That leaves geno, who can't seem to stay out of trouble and will likely miss a game or two, and potentially Jackson. For the package we play the most, nickel, we need three of these guys to be considered starters. Out of the guys listed, there are only four that really have the physical talent (smith, jones, Harrison, and Thompson) and two of those have been on campus four months. That's razor thin. S is pretty complicated so have 2 or 3 guys with very little experience at the front of the line isn't exactly an ideal situation.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Doesn't "empty" formation mean there is no running back? At least not by formation. Both Drake and Henry have shown they can catch footballs. So had Bo S. Hope Flowers and D Harris have that skill also.

Sure would have been great to have T Jones and B Scar this fall.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Doesn't "empty" formation mean there is no running back? At least not by formation. Both Drake and Henry have shown they can catch footballs. So had Bo S. Hope Flowers and D Harris have that skill also.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yes, but Drake can play WR, Scarbough can as well. That's the beauty of it, RB that can run WR routes...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, but Drake can play WR, Scarbough can as well. That's the beauty of it, RB that can run WR routes...
Think you missed what he said. Look at your original post:

Will Drake be the " 4th" receiver" with Henry on the field? When Alabama goes Empty formation, Who will be the RB in the package? Henry? Drake? How is Flower doing in the practice? We haven't heard much about him.
That indicates we're going to have a running back on the field while in an empty formation. That's not always the case, and if we do, they'll be split out wide. Your wording made the comment a little confusing.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think What i was saying that If we go empty formation, Will Drake be part of the formation given that he can play the WR spot. I was thinking in the OP that Henry could line up as a Receiver .. but I guess My wording got confusing for a moment. Henry shouldn't be included in the OP. My apology.

Think you missed what he said. Look at your original post:

That indicates we're going to have a running back on the field while in an empty formation. That's not always the case, and if we do, they'll be split out wide. Your wording made the comment a little confusing.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Just to echo, I wouldn't put too much weight on scrimmage stats. I got to go one a few seasons back. On one series a back up QB took a first down snap. Was supposed to be some sort of sweep play to his left. He fumbled the snap and it was scooped up by a D lineman who started the other way with it with nothing but green grass in front of him. Whistle. Do over. He got the snap out, but as he adjusted to make a pitch, he fumbled it, whistle blew before recovery. Third try he finally got out successfully and pitched the ball behind and over the RB's head, it was going to be a scoop and score. I thought the head coach was going to explode. The next day, there were stats available but listed nothing about fumbles or fumble returns. And of course, the second and third tries the D knew exactly what was coming because the head coach was yelling "do it over, do it over." Ever since, I've taken any scrimmage information with a large grain of salt. Other scrimmages I've been lucky enough to see look nothing like A Day.

I count Drake as sort of half RB / half WR for this year. And I'm hopeful that we get a lot better production from the TEs in the passing game this year. Agree that missing Bo was harsh. I actually thought Tyren had a chance to be a huge contributor this year, maybe even start a game or two, depending on formation. Sigh.

But at the

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.