Rubio to throw his hat into the ring

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Planning to position himself as a moderate conservative to appeal to the establishment base. Which might work right up to the moment that Jeb Bush declares.

Be interesting to see how the immigration issue plays out, particularly between Rubio and Cruz.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
clicky

Planning to position himself as a moderate conservative to appeal to the establishment base. Which might work right up to the moment that Jeb Bush declares.

Be interesting to see how the immigration issue plays out, particularly between Rubio and Cruz.
My (self-described) screaming leftist lawyer friend draws a distinction between "Hispanic" and "Cuban." Many Hispanics from the mainland of Latin America (e.g. Mexico, El Sal, Hondo) see Cubans as a breed apart, so picking a Cuban to head the ticket in an effort to lure Hispanic voters may not work as well as some Republicans hope.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My (self-described) screaming leftist lawyer friend draws a distinction between "Hispanic" and "Cuban." Many Hispanics from the mainland of Latin America (e.g. Mexico, El Sal, Hondo) see Cubans as a breed apart, so picking a Cuban to head the ticket in an effort to lure Hispanic voters may not work as well as some Republicans hope.
I don't think it will work for Republicans, regardless.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Rubio may be playing a long game here. If the nominee is anyone but Bush, Rubio will be an attractive VP option. He might not have broad Hispanic support, as Tidewater says, but all he needs to do is deliver Florida.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Rubio may be playing a long game here. If the nominee is anyone but Bush, Rubio will be an attractive VP option. He might not have broad Hispanic support, as Tidewater says, but all he needs to do is deliver Florida.
There's a lot of wisdom in this.

Rubio is likely looking for the long game. He did himself a lot of damage with his endorsement of illegal alien amnesty last year (something that probably had Democrats laughing in their strategy sessions: "He said he would publicly endorse it? And then he said he would do the heavy lifting on the issue? Bwa-ha-ha! What a maroon!") The chances of his presidential run being successful are low. He has killed enthusiasm among ideologically dedicated conservatives. As a VP, however, he might have a chance to polish his credential for a presidential run later. Plus, being a non-mainland Hispanic, but a Cuban, won't hurt him in Florida and if his job is to deliver Florida, that makes him attractive an a VP candidate.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I read this wrong about the "anyone but Bush" part. I stand corrected.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He seems likeable enough but as always, the devil is in the details. Also, are we ready for another relatively experienced person in the oval office? He mentioned about "waiting his turn". Maybe he should. He's flipped on illegal immigration to a point where I have no idea where he stands now and has been known to "embellish" his bio a bit.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You mentioned delivering Florida. He may very well be running to deliver the Florida primary to anyone but Jeb. His running would seem to divide the Florida vote and open up a potential primary victory for someone else.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
He seems likeable enough but as always, the devil is in the details. Also, are we ready for another relatively experienced person in the oval office? He mentioned about "waiting his turn". Maybe he should. He's flipped on illegal immigration to a point where I have no idea where he stands now and has been known to "embellish" his bio a bit.
Not long ago he was a staunch proponent of Obama's "immigration reform", and now he's against it? I wonder if this change of heart has anything to do with his political aspirations?
Untrustworthy - Strike one.
Reb it does appear he has "flip flopped" on several positions. I dislike candidates who flip flop for political expendiency.

I saw Rubio in a TV interview this morning. I was impressed. He spoke very well and was quick witted. He said there was a difference between his an Obama's experience level.
Rubio said he had been an elected official at the local level for a few years and in the Florida State House for 9 years some as President of the State Senate.

Seems like the best Republican candidate so far.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Reb it does appear he has "flip flopped" on several positions. I dislike candidates who flip flop for political expendiency.

I saw Rubio in a TV interview this morning. I was impressed. He spoke very well and was quick witted. He said there was a difference between his an Obama's experience level.
Rubio said he had been an elected official at the local level for a few years and in the Florida State House for 9 years some as President of the State Senate.

Seems like the best Republican candidate so far.
Then you should really dislike Obama. He was against The Patriot Act as a Senator but resigned it into law as Prez. He called Bush unpatriotic for raising the debt ceiling, yet as Prez he claims we have to raise it to pay the bills. He was against gay marriage before he was for it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Then you should really dislike Obama. He was against The Patriot Act as a Senator but resigned it into law as Prez. He called Bush unpatriotic for raising the debt ceiling, yet as Prez he claims we have to raise it to pay the bills. He was against gay marriage before he was for it.
Good points Swoop. Will you be visiting Mount Rushmore when Barack becomes the fifth face on the mountain?:) The key phrase in my post was political expediency.

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
Good points Swoop. Will you be visiting Mount Rushmore when Barack becomes the fifth face on the mountain?:) The key phrase in my post was political expediency.
Why is it not politically expedient to be against something when you aren't in charge, then for it as soon as you take charge? Obama is probably one of the biggest flip floppers of all time and all for political expediency.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Why is it not politically expedient to be against something when you aren't in charge, then for it as soon as you take charge? Obama is probably one of the biggest flip floppers of all time and all for political expediency.
Ok Ok Swoop. You win. How about back to Rubio now? Who you like on the Republican side?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Ok Ok Swoop. You win. How about back to Rubio now? Who you like on the Republican side?
Someone in this or another thread mentioned Susana Martinez, Governor of New Mexico. Scott Walker has pretty good potential in my opinion. Would be a good contrast to Clinton.

Personally, I'd rather see a Governor as the next President. But of course, that's no sure bet either (a la Jimmy Carter).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.