Link: Former Nebraska RB Lawrence Phillips suspected of killing cellmate in prison

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wow, haven't heard that name in a while...

He, at one time, played for the Montreal Alouettes up here, IIRC...

Well said, brother...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
You can blame every single person that babied this moron his whole life. Tom Osborne is the first on the list, what was he did? Choked his girlfriend then played in the bowl game or some crap like that? At least the Rams finally had the pair to cut him, but no telling what he done then as well.

This is the PERFECT case of what giving athletes what they want will get you, and what happens when you will do what it takes to get folks out of trouble. Now look at where we are.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
At least the victim's death was no big loss to the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
At least the victim's death was no big loss to the world.

This quote made me think of that Monty Python song in "The Life of Brian" Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (it is the song the guys are singing while they are nailed to the cross).

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Continue to blank stare* I thought they were looking at someone else for this murder as well?
Not this murder. There were TWO inmate murders and they are looking to see if there is a connection between the two deaths, like if Lawrence Phillips and this other inmate murdered these two for some connected reason.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
You can blame every single person that babied this moron his whole life. Tom Osborne is the first on the list, what was he did? Choked his girlfriend then played in the bowl game or some crap like that?...
I think he also drug her down some stairs by her hair.

In a few weeks, maybe they will put AH in the same cell with LP. Would that be a double homicide?:)
We can dream...

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
There were a few bad apples on that Nebraska team. I want to say Christian Peter? A defensive lineman. He was no saint either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You can blame every single person that babied this moron his whole life. Tom Osborne is the first on the list, what was he did? Choked his girlfriend then played in the bowl game or some crap like that?
Although I DO remember the incident and that it was in 1995 (though admittedly not the exact date doggone it - I was in school for C programming language and Trig at UALR at the time but I digress), the Internet is our friend:

1) He threw Kate McEwen....not just ANY female but an ATHLETE, a member of the Nebraska women's b-ball team.... to the floor of a bathroom and THEN dragged her down three flights of stairs. Since this idiot got the limelight, let's at least know who she was and what she looked like (as she came forward).

And btw - he did this at 5 am by scaling a three-story wall AFTER she had dumped him and he was pounding her head against a metal mailbox and brick wall, running away (like he ran through the tackles) when others came to help

At the time of this assault, Phillips had been cleared to play by the NCAA despite an ongoing investigation into his driving of a Mustang convertible and another issue not exactly clear at the time. He was sentenced to ONE YEAR of probation in December 1995 for that horrific assault on McEwen. (I still swallow in disgust at the black militant Nation of Islam guy I used to work with who actually said McEwen deserved to be assaulted because she was sleeping with another guy - I don't know if she was but so what if she was? She didn't deserve that).

Osborne began the coddling immediately, too. Look at these words of genius from the later elected Congresscritter:

Osborne said some critics have mischaracterized Phillips.

"It's not as though Lawrence is an angry young man all the time and a threat to society," Osborne said. "But there are occasions every four or five months where he becomes a little explosive. We've got to be satisfied here that every precaution has been taken to where he's able to deal with his anger more effectively.
"

Uh, whatever you say, Tom!!!!

2) Once Osborne won his second straight national title, he didn't want Phillips around, either, and told him to go to the NFL. The Rams drafted this idiot (Rich Brooks, in what turned out to be his last year....Dick Vermeil made clear he wouldn't have touched the guy). They drafted him in April and the Clueless Clown got picked up for drunk driving in June while on probation for the assault (a real winner eh?). Phillips was sentenced to 30 days in early 1997 and got out in 23 thanks to (irony alert) good behavior. Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3) The Rams saw enough to cut the guy midway through his second season after he skipped a team meeting and practice. This absence was ALLEGEDLY related to alcohol use in yet another isolated incident. In fact, Phillips had several isolated incidents of walking out of team meetings with the Rams as a rookie when Brooks was still the coach. While with the Rams, Phillips had a total of three arrests, two lawsuits, a jail sentence for domestic violence (the probation violation).....and FIFTY-SIX different fines for violating team rules. Given that he was only with the Rams nineteen months, these are staggering numbers.

4) So Jimmy Johnson and the Dolphins gave Phillips his second, third, eighty-third chance. Johnson immediately mouthed the same rhetoric as the Rams when they drafted him - it was all rumor and exaggeration. He played two games for the Dolphins with a Hall of Fame worthy 44 yards on 18 carries (a 2.4 average, which most people could fall forward enough to attain). He was then immediately released after assaulting a woman (anyone seeing a pattern here?) named Michelle Black at a night club in Plantation, FL.

5) He missed the 1998 season, so he played in NFL Europe for Barcelona. After he rushed for 1,000 yards, the NFL decided he deserved a second, third, one hundreth chance.

6) Bill Walsh made clear in no uncertain terms that he would cut Phillips if anything shady happened. Phillips actually did quite well off the field, but on the field he missed a block on a blitz that resulted in a career-ending injury to Steve Young, the Hall of Fame QB. Phillips - just like with the Rams - started acting a jerk about team meetings and they wound up cutting him shortly thereafter.

7) He then signed with a team in the Arena League but never played. Why? Because he left the team without even telling the coach.

8) He then went to the CFL and the Montreal Alouettes won the Grey Cup with him as the lead horse. However, he said they had "lied" to him and left. He was then released. Why? Because he'd been charged with sexual assault!!!

9) In 2005, this poster child for "Real Men of Genius" then pulled the all-time topper (until yesterday) when in an argument over a pick-up football game he drove his car into three teenagers. At the time he was wanted in San Diego for (wait for it) not one but TWO domestic violence incidents.

He eventually got sentenced to 31 years of which he must serve 26.

And then he channeled his inner OJ. Oh wait, OJ beat his girl, too!!!

This is the PERFECT case of what giving athletes what they want will get you, and what happens when you will do what it takes to get folks out of trouble. Now look at where we are.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
You can blame every single person that babied this moron his whole life. Tom Osborne is the first on the list, what was he did? Choked his girlfriend then played in the bowl game or some crap like that? At least the Rams finally had the pair to cut him, but no telling what he done then as well.

How about blaming him???

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.