Is your kid sick? (or you know of viruses going around?)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Sorry for the crazy headline but I don't know of any other way to put it. I got a call from my wife today (we are still split, but I take him to the doctor as I can get off whenever I want and she can't) telling me my son has an appointment tomorrow at 1pm because he is sick.

Well he has no fever, no problems out the other end (if you know what I mean), but he is puking up EVERYTHING put into his body! I bet he has puked 5 times that I know about since 7pm or so. I've tried saltine crackers, water, and now he is drinking my Gatorade since it is his favorite and I have had to put a whole Phenagrin (sp?) into him as that is supposed to stop nausea and vomiting. The first half of one I gave him he puked up before he could even get it in his system and this last time it had plenty of time to get in his system. If he pukes one more time I give up and we're going to the E.R. as I'm scared he will become dehydrated.

Does anyone here know of any viruses going around here lately? If so, has your kid had the same symptoms? What helped if anything? I'm at my wits end here and hate to take him to the E.R. as I know he'll get a bag or two of fluids and he won't like that IV, but I honestly have no other choice here as if he keeps on he will FOR SURE be dehydrated.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sorry for the crazy headline but I don't know of any other way to put it. I got a call from my wife today (we are still split, but I take him to the doctor as I can get off whenever I want and she can't) telling me my son has an appointment tomorrow at 1pm because he is sick.

Well he has no fever, no problems out the other end (if you know what I mean), but he is puking up EVERYTHING put into his body! I bet he has puked 5 times that I know about since 7pm or so. I've tried saltine crackers, water, and now he is drinking my Gatorade since it is his favorite and I have had to put a whole Phenagrin (sp?) into him as that is supposed to stop nausea and vomiting. The first half of one I gave him he puked up before he could even get it in his system and this last time it had plenty of time to get in his system. If he pukes one more time I give up and we're going to the E.R. as I'm scared he will become dehydrated.

Does anyone here know of any viruses going around here lately? If so, has your kid had the same symptoms? What helped if anything? I'm at my wits end here and hate to take him to the E.R. as I know he'll get a bag or two of fluids and he won't like that IV, but I honestly have no other choice here as if he keeps on he will FOR SURE be dehydrated.
That is unusual. Usually, they will be losing fluid at both ends. I wouldn't hesitate to take him on in. He needs the fluid replenishment. They'll probably give him a Phenergan suppository to bypass the oral route...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea that is what threw me off, I asked him just before I posted as I remembered to and he said he hasn't been going to the bathroom. So I ruled out the old lady food poisoning him as I figure both ends would get it. With no fever I figure it is not a contagious deal but you never know these days.

I just gave him the other half of that Phenergan after this last puke job and if he pukes one more time I told him we are heading out of the door and going straight to the E.R. Luckily I'm only 7 minutes or so from there so he won't suffer long. Luckily he loves Gatorade so when we wakes up (he FINALLY fell asleep so I think the last Phenergan kicked in) he will drink it so that is good.

Since I don't have him for school I was wondering if anything was going around because he said he felt rough all day but around 5pm or so the puking kicked in and hit full force. I've never puked this much when I drank and would get just sloppy drunk.

All is quiet in there right now and like I said it was before I started the thread so it's been a good 30-45 minutes since the last Phenergan. I think it finally "took" I guess you could say so hopefully that stops this crap. We have a doc appointment tomorrow at 1pm so I hope he can make it as that means he will be feeling better. I just cannot sit back and wait if he lets loose again though. I've never seen anything like it with no fever or "other issues" out the other end being involved. It's just puking. Weird. He says his stomach will hurt but I think he means right before he pukes so other than him being tired and wore out from the puking for 5.5 hours he has no other symptoms.:conf2:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
My son had this in February. Almost to the T. He literally threw all night. By about the 4th he was dry heaving of course. He threw up about once every 20 minutes. Once he stopped though in was over. Lasted about 12-15 hours. Had his appetite back, energy too. It was weird and scary. Hope the little fella gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
My kids have had this before. It is a gastro virus. Just make sure you keep him hydrated. It will pass in a couple days. We would introduce solids after they were able to keep liquid down. Like crackers or bread.

i hope he feels better.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
In cases like this it's very important to keep them hydrated. Gatorade is great because it replaces the electrolytes that are lost when they heave their guts out. Crackers might be all he can keep down for a day or so.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I've had a few people I know get something like this. Said it is violent. If anyone gets near me saying they feel sick to their stomach and asking if they can leave I get sort of rude and run them off.

On another note, if I ever get a stomach bug I end up in the E.R. Once my body starts vomiting, it cannot/will not stop. I've gone full body cramp multiple times because of dehydration, folks that's scary when you don't realize what is going on. I've had food poisoning once and the E.R. had done everything in the book to make me stop trying to throw up and it wouldn't stop. They finally gave me a tiny IV bag with morphine in it. I can see how people get addicted to that stuff. Needless to say, I stopped throwing up, but I don't remember the rest of the day. I think I turned into jelly.
I now keep a prescription of Zofran in the cabinet. If I throw up, I slide one under the tongue and it stops the nauseated feeling. You don't feel "great" but you aint puking. That's a miracle drug for me. And you don't have to swallow the pill, just let it dissolve under the tongue.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
My son had this in February. Almost to the T. He literally threw all night. By about the 4th he was dry heaving of course. He threw up about once every 20 minutes. Once he stopped though in was over. Lasted about 12-15 hours. Had his appetite back, energy too. It was weird and scary. Hope the little fella gets better.

Sounds like the exact same thing. We got up today and he is kicked back and watching movies. Even said he eat before I got up. Even looks different today. I was definitely going to the E.R. last night if he got sick again, but luckily once he fell asleep he didn't get sick again. Still have a doctors appointment in less than an hour so things are much much better today.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I've had a few people I know get something like this. Said it is violent. If anyone gets near me saying they feel sick to their stomach and asking if they can leave I get sort of rude and run them off.

On another note, if I ever get a stomach bug I end up in the E.R. Once my body starts vomiting, it cannot/will not stop. I've gone full body cramp multiple times because of dehydration, folks that's scary when you don't realize what is going on. I've had food poisoning once and the E.R. had done everything in the book to make me stop trying to throw up and it wouldn't stop. They finally gave me a tiny IV bag with morphine in it. I can see how people get addicted to that stuff. Needless to say, I stopped throwing up, but I don't remember the rest of the day. I think I turned into jelly.
I now keep a prescription of Zofran in the cabinet. If I throw up, I slide one under the tongue and it stops the nauseated feeling. You don't feel "great" but you aint puking. That's a miracle drug for me. And you don't have to swallow the pill, just let it dissolve under the tongue.
We pound the Zofran in our house. Three girls that get sick regularly, and my wife has migraines.

It's rare for me to catch anything, as I work in a hospital and am careful about infection control, but I occasionally get the bad ones they bring home. Caught shigellosis last year from my youngest. Was on the john for a week. :(

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i had this crap the tail end of january. i guess i caught it from my little girl. she didn't have many symptoms at all. i woke up in the middle of the night hurling violently and it continued every half hour or so for about 7-8 hours, then it was done. after a good night's sleep the next evening, i was good to go.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.