News Article: RIP Percy Sledge

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
(CNN)Percy Sledge, the R&B belter whose biggest hit, "When a Man Loves a Woman," became a cornerstone of soul music, died Tuesday. He was 73.

Sledge died in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, said Stephanie Price of the East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner's Office. The cause of death wasn't immediately available.

In a career that started in the 1960s, Sledge had a number of hits, including "Take Time to Know Her," "Warm and Tender Love" and "It Tears Me Up" among them.

But his first and biggest hit, "When a Man Loves a Woman," towered over them all.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/entertainment/percy-sledge-dies-feat/
Soul at its best:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Became good friends with him in 1967. Would see him almost every Monday until I was transferred to Atlanta in 1969. I was the sales rep for the WD that supplied the music department in K-Mart. He would come in while I was servicing the one in Florence to see how many tapes and records of his had sold the previous week. I think he was just making sure I kept plenty of his product in the store(s). :biggrin:

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Became good friends with him in 1967. Would see him almost every Monday until I was transferred to Atlanta in 1969. I was the sales rep for the WD that supplied the music department in K-Mart. He would come in while I was servicing the one in Florence to see how many tapes and records of his had sold the previous week. I think he was just making sure I kept plenty of his product in the store(s). :biggrin:

Spent a lot of time at that store on Florence Blvd. growing up on Cherry Hill.

Sledge's song was probably the best song about losing a woman and wanting her back, it's a classic for sure. RIP.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
^^^ Wow - cool story....

Sorry to hear this - time sure has a way of flying - we're losing some of the icons many of us grew up with.

Rest In Peace Mr. Sledge......

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Drinking shine on the banks of the Coosa at nite and listening to Percy in my 62 Pontiac circa 1966. Good times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.