Alabama cornerback Cyrus Jones played through serious hip injury all of last season

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click Here

Cyrus Jones first got the diagnosis last June.
The rising junior cornerback had a torn labrum in his hip, a serious injury that required surgery.
Jones would have likely missed all of last season had he undergone the procedure at that point, a surgery that typically demands several months of rehabilitation.
Jones instead decided to play on and put off surgery until after the season, managing to establish himself as the Tide's top cornerback despite playing through the limitations that come along with a torn labrum in the hip.
CBS Sports ranks Jones as the 19[SUP]th[/SUP]-best cornerback prospect in next year's NFL draft.
"Right when I made the transition my sophomore year, I was trying to feel my way around, like I was playing unconfident, still not sure what I was supposed to be doing as far as the defense goes," Jones said. "It definitely hindered me as far as being able to just go out there and play fast and with confidence.
"If you don't have confidence playing corner, you just can't do it. It's impossible. Now I know what I can do, and I know my abilities, and I know the defense. Now it's just up to me to just go out there and play and prove everyone wrong who has something bad to say about it."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Maybe it would explain some things that went down during the games throughout the season...
I think it says volumes about the lack of depth and/or experienced talent we have at DB that we played a guy with a torn labrum for the entire season..

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
He got beat occasionally, sure, but my recollection is that in the biggest games, he went jaw-to-jaw with good receivers and won way more than his share. That he did it with a hip injury is remarkable.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He got beat occasionally, sure, but my recollection is that in the biggest games, he went jaw-to-jaw with good receivers and won way more than his share. That he did it with a hip injury is remarkable.
^^^ THIS. everyone has memories of his soph year when he did have a lot of issues, but last year he was very, very good. Teams went away from him a lot because he had established himself, and when they did eventually go his way, he won way more of the battles than he lost

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
"Like". He definitely won a lot more than he loss and I expect Cyrus to have an all-conference year in 2015.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I won't single any one person out, but our overall pass D was not good last year. IIRC, we ranked 57th in the country in that category, not exactly Sabanesque.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Having torn both of my hip labrums, I'll say it is remarkable that he played through it last year. It is absolutely amazing that Cyrus played as well as he did at times. I'll guarantee he lost at least a step in closing speed and had to be severely hampered when it came to making cuts. I lost at least 30% of internal and external hip rotation due the tear impinging on the joint space.

I have even more respect for him now that ever before.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think I think I was trying to say that there has been some case where he made a mistake or two, and there was some people calling for him to be taken out of the game. What we didn't know is that he was playing with a hip injury that may have affected him at times throughout the season. I know I complained about him sometime, but I learned a lot from reading the article, and I know better in the future if a CB or any player is not playing at normal pace or usual self, I have to start thinking whether he may be injured or not. I have lot of respect for Jones now than before. HE will be one of the best defender this season. I'm hoping our CB play will be lot improved and I think they will.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The play I think about the most was when Cyrus jammed the LSU receiver in overtime at the line of scrimmage. I don't think the receiver was ready for that physical of play from Cyrus either. If he played as well as he did last year with a injured hip, boy what will he do when he is healthy.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
The play I think about the most was when Cyrus jammed the LSU receiver in overtime at the line of scrimmage. I don't think the receiver was ready for that physical of play from Cyrus either. If he played as well as he did last year with a injured hip, boy what will he do when he is healthy.
He has settled in at CB and will be an asset. He has all the skills needed to be a very good corner. I think he has fully transitioned to working his way to a chance to play in the NFL at that position, if he can fully recover and regain all the speed he had early on he's gonna really help the team. I want our players to be their best while at Bama, not so much the NFL but we all know that's the ultimate goal for the players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.