Legislature of Clowns...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A bill is sailing through to proclaim the Bible as the "official book" of the state. What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." do they not understand. At the same time, several state parks will be closed, including two jewels - Buck's Pocket and Lake Guntersville. When the Democrats were in charge, we were determined by a number of outside evaluators as the worst in the nation. I thought there'd certainly be some change with a new party leadership. Nope...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
A bill is sailing through to proclaim the Bible as the "official book" of the state. What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." do they not understand. At the same time, several state parks will be closed, including two jewels - Buck's Pocket and Lake Guntersville. When the Democrats were in charge, we were determined by a number of outside evaluators as the worst in the nation. I thought there'd certainly be some change with a new party leadership. Nope...
Is that the one just south of Scottsboro on 79?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Of course the governor didn't realize the state had a $700 million budget shortfall until shortly after he was re-elected. They already borrowed money from the trust fund. I thought Republicans were whizzs at running things? What's next? A religious freedom act a la Indiana?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Earle, if you really thought things were going to change, may I please have some of what you were smoking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
When the Democrats were in charge, we hit rock bottom. When the Republicans took over, they brought heavy duty digging equipment.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
When the Democrats were in charge, we hit rock bottom. When the Republicans took over, they brought heavy duty digging equipment.
Southern politics are the best. We have more of the same in GA. Last legislative session they single handedly made GA go from first to last in electric cars. Plus the geniuses decided to punish one of the largest employers in the state for speaking out against the "religious freedom" bill they were trying to pass. It will be awesome is Delta decides to move their corp headquarters to Minneapolis because of it.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
TN just passed a similar law I believe.
No, it passed the house, but looks like it will have a tougher time in the senate and the governor has already expressed concern over its legality. I'd surprised if it actually makes it to a law, but the legislators never cease to amaze me...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Well, until the voters change...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Sad fact of 2015 is that these people are getting cheered on, encouraged and most sadly reelected for throwing your money in the toilet

My State has them too

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Southern politics are the best. We have more of the same in GA. Last legislative session they single handedly made GA go from first to last in electric cars. Plus the geniuses decided to punish one of the largest employers in the state for speaking out against the "religious freedom" bill they were trying to pass. It will be awesome is Delta decides to move their corp headquarters to Minneapolis because of it.
yep, they are full bore morons in georgia.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sad fact of 2015 is that these people are getting cheered on, encouraged and most sadly reelected for throwing your money in the toilet

My State has them too
its called standing up for "conservative christian values", at least when i hear folks defend it.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
No need. We already have one...plus a voter ID law.
Thanks Tide1986. Didn't know we had one. I learn so much on here. Alabama not a la Indiana.

The Alabama law is very different than the Indiana law. The Alabama law applies only to government restrictions on religious freedom. The Indiana law applies to all entities.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...reedom-law-narrower-indiana-statute/70685970/

Alabama's law only gives cause to individuals claiming harm for governmental actions that allegedly attack religious freedom. By contrast, Indiana's law provides that the statute can be invoked "regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is party to the proceeding." In addition, the Indiana law categorizes "exercise of religion" as any exercise of religion "whether or not compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief."

Notice the underlined statement. Indiana now has a marijuana church. Oops!

The First Church of Cannabis Inc. has been approved by Indiana's secretary of state after the state's religious freedom legislation became law last week.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-indianas-religious-freedom-law-cannibis-church-20150331-story.html

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Thanks Tide1986. Didn't know we had one. I learn so much on here. Alabama not a la Indiana.

The Alabama law is very different than the Indiana law. The Alabama law applies only to government restrictions on religious freedom. The Indiana law applies to all entities.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...reedom-law-narrower-indiana-statute/70685970/

Alabama's law only gives cause to individuals claiming harm for governmental actions that allegedly attack religious freedom. By contrast, Indiana's law provides that the statute can be invoked "regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is party to the proceeding." In addition, the Indiana law categorizes "exercise of religion" as any exercise of religion "whether or not compelled by, or central to, a system of religious belief."

Notice the underlined statement. Indiana now has a marijuana church. Oops!

The First Church of Cannabis Inc. has been approved by Indiana's secretary of state after the state's religious freedom legislation became law last week.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-indianas-religious-freedom-law-cannibis-church-20150331-story.html
I need to check that place out. The pews can be murder on the old back. Their service might make that jussssst a touch easier to handle. :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I need to check that place out. The pews can be murder on the old back. Their service might make that jussssst a touch easier to handle. :)

hopefully they were smart enough to locate next to the pasta palace of the church of the flying spaghetti monster.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.