New Star Wars teaser

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
I think JJ will do a much better job than Lucas did with the last 4 he did. At least I hope so. JJ did Star Trek well.

I'm not so much a Star Wars as I am a John Williams fan but even I, even though I am more Trek than Wars I am getting extremely excited about what JJ Abram will do for the SW franchise. In the words of Bart Scott....."CAN'T WAIT".

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I'm looking forward to it, but keeping my hopes in check. Cool visuals are given, no question, but I hope the story/script is better than what we got in the more recent trilogy.

I'm not completely sold on Abrams:
Alias: first 3 seasons were good but got too bogged down with the Rimbaldi mythology and flipping good guy to bad guy to good guy to bad guy too many times to count.

Lost: a fun ride but in the end disappointing. There was never a cohesive vision of what they wanted to do. Others may disagree, but to me, the emperor is naked. (Of course, one could argue that Lucas never had a cohesive vision of what he wanted from Star Wars since he kept changing scenes with each release and said midichlorians were there in the beginning, and various interviews over the years making contradictory claims about his SW plans.)

Cloverfield: enjoyable, but good grief shaky-cam!

Mission Impossible 3: this was probably my favorite among the MI franchise, and all other Abrams works. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great in this.

Suoer 8: It was ok. Nothing spectacular or particularly memorable. Trying to set it in the 80's felt more gimmicky than immersive.

Star Trek: Lens flares! Again, passable, but it felt more like it was a hodgepodge of cliches. Let's have a scene for each character to say their tagline.

ST Into Darkness: I would've preferred a more original story. We all knew he was Khan, so the big reveal wasn't the impact they were hoping for.

So Abrams can make decent movies with action shots and cool visuals, but the test is the script. Will it be an original story, or will it be a cliche filled mess? Others have mentioned Marvel's Avengers, which is headed by Joss Whedon, who is not only a good filmmaker, but also a great storyteller. (Check out Firefly if you haven't already for some great storytelling.)

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Abrams is his generation's Spielberg. As with most things time clouds people's judgement. I haven't seen Alias or the newest Star Trek, but I enjoyed LOST (Abrams wasn't really involved in the show after the beginning, Super 8 (it's a fun movie, not a mastepiece), Cloverfield (I loved that one, I wasn't bothered by the shakiness of the camera and thoroughly enjoyed the way the film progressed).

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Well there ya go. No telling what kind of curveballs Abrams threw there with audio not belonging to a specific scene it was paired with.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Something is absolutely wrong with you.

In fact, I honestly have trouble believing you.
i have made it through my life without ever once seeing dirty dancing.

the new starwars looks interesting. i may catch it at some point, but honestly, after empire strikes back, i lost interest and haven't seen any of them after return of the jedi

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I would say that I agree with every word, but I never watched a minute of Lost, so I can't agree or disagree on that one. I'm sure you're right, though. :wink: The rest is spot on.

I'm looking forward to it, but keeping my hopes in check. Cool visuals are given, no question, but I hope the story/script is better than what we got in the more recent trilogy.

I'm not completely sold on Abrams:
Alias: first 3 seasons were good but got too bogged down with the Rimbaldi mythology and flipping good guy to bad guy to good guy to bad guy too many times to count.

Lost: a fun ride but in the end disappointing. There was never a cohesive vision of what they wanted to do. Others may disagree, but to me, the emperor is naked. (Of course, one could argue that Lucas never had a cohesive vision of what he wanted from Star Wars since he kept changing scenes with each release and said midichlorians were there in the beginning, and various interviews over the years making contradictory claims about his SW plans.)

Cloverfield: enjoyable, but good grief shaky-cam!

Mission Impossible 3: this was probably my favorite among the MI franchise, and all other Abrams works. Philip Seymour Hoffman was great in this.

Suoer 8: It was ok. Nothing spectacular or particularly memorable. Trying to set it in the 80's felt more gimmicky than immersive.

Star Trek: Lens flares! Again, passable, but it felt more like it was a hodgepodge of cliches. Let's have a scene for each character to say their tagline.

ST Into Darkness: I would've preferred a more original story. We all knew he was Khan, so the big reveal wasn't the impact they were hoping for.

So Abrams can make decent movies with action shots and cool visuals, but the test is the script. Will it be an original story, or will it be a cliche filled mess? Others have mentioned Marvel's Avengers, which is headed by Joss Whedon, who is not only a good filmmaker, but also a great storyteller. (Check out Firefly if you haven't already for some great storytelling.)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I would say that I agree with every word, but I never watched a minute of Lost, so I can't agree or disagree on that one. I'm sure you're right, though. :wink: The rest is spot on.
I bought my tickets the instant they went on sale and will be at the first showing at one of the billion theaters in Atlanta showing it.

I best not get burned again

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.