News Article: Jameis Winston Civil Suit - Chickens Come Home

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Not advising her, of course, but it would have made more sense to file right after he signs his first multimillion dollar contract. Any judgement which were handed down before he has that asset could be bankrupted out of with little pain. Of course both the contract signing and the suit can be dragged out so long, that it probably won't matter...
If her primary motivation were money, I think your rhetorical advice would be dead on. This makes me think she was more out to give back "in-kind" if you will. She may actually derail his career with this choice. It would certainly give me pause if I were about to make a franchise decision. Mariota should thank her!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not advising her, of course, but it would have made more sense to file right after he signs his first multimillion dollar contract. Any judgement which were handed down before he has that asset could be bankrupted out of with little pain. Of course both the contract signing and the suit can be dragged out so long, that it probably won't matter...
So is the financial status of the defendant determined at the date of filing, or at the date of determination?

I have a reasonable layman's familiarity with how bankruptcy works in the commercial debt arena, but am a total ignoramus regarding consumer/ tort law.

So if Winston's a pauper when the suit is filed, but is rich as a prince when the settlement or verdict is reached, which financial status governs?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Can punitive damages be awarded in Florida for civil cases? If so would they be limited by his current assets or payable with future earnings?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Follow the money. Whatever will benefit the NFL is what the NFL will do. The NFL is doing everything in its power to keep itself from being trust-busted by the Feds. In this case, the NFL can easily say it's not involved here and most people will be ok with that. They won't do anything as far as Jameis is concerned except welcome him to the league with open arms -- as long as it suits them.

B

BroadwayJoe777

I wonder if this will plummet Winston in the draft. I think he might slide to the number 2 pick. Tennessee will probably trade out of that pick.
P.S.
And I hope justice is served.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.