NBC News lying on air repeatedly and knowing it

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is really not something that should be ignored. I've known for years the media has scripts because these narratives wouldn't ALLLLLL be the exact same with just simple variations on verbiage. This story though ranks right up there with the whole yellow journalism era an the Spanish-American War.

Dangerous and well beyond irresponsible. To me this is criminal but that's just my opinion.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Rieder: Syria story means more trouble for NBC

http://usat.ly/1FYE4cS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Fox News lies on air all the time but I think they are too ideologically constrained to realize it.

Jon. Try and be nicer to your parents. :)

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/tv/fox/

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/18/ins...ine_i_fact_checked_sean_hannity_on_obamacare/

http://www.alternet.org/media/four-absurd-and-dangerous-lies-fox-news-told-about-muslims-week

Google the term Fox News lies. Out of 46 million hits some surely must be believable to ya'll

The Hannity one doesn't even count. Do you seriously not know the difference between a JOURNALIST (who is expected to be objective) and a COLUMNIST (who is not)? Such spin is expected from those who do OPINION shows. Of course, I find this amusing because the entire argument boils down to, "Oh yeah, they do it too!" - as if this somehow is a point in FAVOR of the idiot making this claim. NBC, after all, supposedly wants to be taken seriously as a news entity, so saying, "Well, this screw-up is no different than what we consider a tabloid news organization" does is hardly scoring a point in favor of NBC.

I'd have to watch the other thing here although the claims look ridiculous.

No, here is what amuses me. Leftists get all upset about Fox News (which let me be clear DOES spin the news in a rightward direction) and try to argue they're misleading a bunch of people but that's ridiculous because the number of people who actually WATCH Fox News is miniscule compared to what watch the "three main networks." With the greater reach does come greater responsibility. So yeah, I'll even buy the "Fox misleads" argument (though I'm not sure how it matters since it has become clear they all mislead and spin the news), but they mislead fewer folks than NBC, so what exactly is the "real" point?

I stopped watching the news years ago because I can get it on my phone a whole lot quicker. And I don't get a bunch of yelling. MSNBC - before they went to the video crap - had a VERY good webpage for the I phone a few years ago. CNN turned into the all gay rights channel around 2009 and a once-great news organization is now a pile of LGBT propaganda and little more. Fox? Don't watch - let me put it this way: as good as my memory is, I have NO IDEA when the last time was that I watched Bill O'Reilly. Seriously. It's been years. Or any other news show other than when I myself was on "60 Minutes."

I can get it without all the tripe. I even enjoy Yahoo as I get to pick which stories I want to read - and most of those are from a left-wing perspective, too.

TV news might be a thing of the past - like CDs.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Wrong Selma. More people watch Fox News. A far cry from miniscule. About as many viewers as the next two combined.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/scoreboard-wednesday-april-15/260866

I agree with you about websites with video instead of print. I would much rather read.

Of course I know the difference between news and editorial. Fox tends to blur that separation every time O'Reilly bloviates "Fair and Balanced."

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2012...s-slide-fox-falls-again/cable-by-the-numbers/

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wrong Selma. More people watch Fox News.
Not than watch NBC news. That's what I was talking about.

A far cry from miniscule.
Not in a nation of over 300 million people.

Yes, they're bigger on cable, but the numbers aren't even close to what the Big Three old school networks get.

Of course I know the difference between news and editorial. Fox tends to blur that separation every time O'Reilly bloviates "Fair and Balanced."
Then you shouldn't be giving me examples of Fox "lying" by citing opinion shows.

NBC deliberately twists the actual facts as they are was the point. And they have a much larger audience. It's more accurate to compare (say) Hannity and Maddow as spinmesiters hired to do that than compare Brian Williams and Hannity.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island

Yes, they're bigger on cable, but the numbers aren't even close to what the Big Three old school networks get.

Then you shouldn't be giving me examples of Fox "lying" by citing opinion shows.

NBC deliberately twists the actual facts as they are was the point. And they have a much larger audience. It's more accurate to compare (say) Hannity and Maddow as spinmesiters hired to do that than compare Brian Williams and Hannity.
Like and thank you!!!!!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Not sure it's a fair comparison, given that NBC Nightly News is on for only 30 minutes a night, whereas Fox News' programming is a 24/7 affair. To put that in perspective--Fox an take a single bit of propaganda and keep presenting variations on it all day long.

Regardless, "it's OK if Fox News lies because they don't have as wide an audience" isn't a particularly tenable position.

If Fox consistently gives time to -- or employs, for that matter -- people who consistently use falsehoods as the basis for their position, does that not place Fox News itself in a bad light? The whole "the opinions of the speaker do not necessarily reflect" schtick only goes so far.

1. Yes, it appears that NBC deliberately misrepresented the information. I'll be interested in hearing NBC's explanation. That's not to say that Fox doesn't do the same thing.

2. Using Brian Williams in this case doesn't help your position, as that case (as is O'Reilley's Falklands stuff) is a matter of someone tweaking information, not to further a political agenda, but for his own self-aggrandizement.

3. The problem w/ Fox News is that it's EVERYONE. Of course Hannity is a shill, but they do the same thing on the supposed news shows, on the talk shows they bring in shills to make the more outrageous claims, or they introduce a talking point by saying "people say" and and then spout whatever propaganda they are trying to get out there, from birther BS to death panels.

4. Over the last few months, Megyn Kelly has been drawing a lot of attention for her tough questioning of right wing guests. Consider: The fact that she's actually pressing people for the truth is setting her apart from everything else on the network.

I gave up on network news a while back, mainly because you can't get any real understanding of an issue from a 2 minute fluff piece. Unless it's by Jon Stewart.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Nope. Don't watch NBC. Or Fox.

The stunningly attractive Rachel Maddow is my choice.:)
Now I remember why I don't read NS very often. You do realize that you can only watch Fox News if you have "cable TV", right? Any idiot can watch the network news, on any TV they own. (And see the exact same "news", presented in exactly the same manner.) Now, tell me again how more people watch Fox.

"Faux lies......................." heard it all before. And See-BS is god, just like when Cronkite was peddling his schtick.

And Dan Blather.

Then we have the other 2 propagandists, which give us the likes of Baba WaaWaa and Brian Williams. Right...............I'll watch them, and believe every single word they spew.

Which is why I stopped watching the "news" so long ago that I can not remember when it was.

May I point out I am too broke to afford "cable"? Go ahead and slam Faux all that floats your boat. Makes no difference to me, since I don't watch the Karl Rove News Network.

BTW, how do you feel about AlGor selling his failed attempt at a left-wing kook news network to................wait for it..........................Al Jazeera. Tell us how objective they are. (I suspect as objective as what it replaced. Which failed.) Then remind us again how bad Faux News is.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.